Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Tell me about the Contemporary in the Vacation Planning forums; I've booked a night at the Contemporary for during my holiday next year as a treat for the kiddies. A tower room overlooking the MK. There seems to be very ...
    DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle

Tell me about the Contemporary

I've booked a night at the Contemporary for during my holiday next year as a treat for the kiddies. A tower room overlooking the MK.
    There seems to be very few comments from people staying there, if anyone has some tips or wants to share their experiences I'd love to read them.
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    I've never stayed Fiona, but I've spent a lot of time in the hotel. I've never been in a room, but the Contemporary has the BEST game room on Disney property even if it is a little rundown. Also it has boats that go to Fort Wilderness and the Magic Kingdom, so you have your own set of transportation! You can also walk to the Magic Kingdom from the Contemproary.

Let's see what else? The best feature of course is the monorail going through it. So you'll have easy travel for one day. As for places to eat, your kids would love Chef Mickey's. The Outer Rim makes some of the BEST drinks (even though they all have the same drink menu, their bartenders make them better), and as for a "special" treat the California Grill at the top is a romantic place for two! It has a pool and the lagoon and the beach where you can see the Electrical Water Pagent.

Hopefully someone can tell you more about staying. I've just been there to have fun, never spend the night.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

seriouslydw is offline I need a vacation!
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE CONTEMPORARY!!!!

I've stayed in a few deluxe resorts, along with values and moderates. The room size at the Contemporary is great, there's lots of room for your luggage and also lots of space in the bathroom to move around in. I hate it at other resorts when there's about two square feet of room when you get out of the shower to dry off. The rooms have just been redone a year ago, and the new beds that are there are SO comfortable. Also, the food and fun center there with the arcade is open 24 hours a day which is a huge plus when the parks are open so late. You can grab a snack on your way back to the room, and refill your mug at any time.

The transportation is great, we never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus. And you can't beat a 10 minute walk form your room to the Magic Kingdom gate.

If you have any questions about the hotel, or staying there. Just let me know and i'll be glad to answer!
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."
    Walt Disney

flutter is offline Moderator
    I've just been there to have fun, never spend the night.-MayBWeRMnt2B

That just sounds bad

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Quote Originally Posted by flutter View Post
    I've just been there to have fun, never spend the night.-MayBWeRMnt2B

That just sounds bad
    I didn't mean it like that! Or did I... J/k!

Although I will say the Outer Rim has our record for the most free drinks from other guests.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Schmitty is offline A-Ticket holder

Thumbs up

LOVED the Contemporary when we stayed there about five years ago! Alas, our room is gone, now (or soon will be...I forget the demolition schedule), as it was in the North Garden Tower!

The worst part of the entire resort is the counter-service dining area outside the arcade. By far the smallest on all of WDW. At least at the time, and I don't remember seeing anything about it being upgraded in the ensuing years.

Here's a little bit of fun for you....when you're going up to the monorail station, look for the five-legged goat mixed in amongst the Mary Blair mural!

Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    We have stayed at the Contemporary many times and we love it! The room size is a plus, and you can't beat the views.

There are many fun things to do there. You can take the boat over to Fort Wilderness and do the Campfire Sing Along with Chip & Dale. There is marshmallow roasting, singing, and a Disney cartoon and movie. You can ask about the times when you check in. You can watch the Electrical Water Pageant from the dock behind the resort. I believe it goes past the CR at 10:05 p.m. Chef Mickey's is a must do. I think that if your children are younger, you're better off going for breakfast rather than dinner when they're more likely to be tired.

Have a great trip!
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Contemporary05 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    As far as I'm concerned, the Contemporary is second to none. My parents took me there for my high school graduation trip in 2005. I totally fell in love with it at that point, as I'd always been fascinated with it from many trips before when we'd see it/ride through on the monorail. The couple of shops they have sell some pretty interesting stuff (both Disney related and normal needs-type things). Concourse Steakhouse is one of my favorite restaurants on property, as there is usually never much of a wait and the food quality is above standard. Chef Mickey's is also a great experience if your kids are big into meeting characters and having lots of interaction. Then again, it is my forum namesake :P
    Facebook Me!

"Don't talk when I'm SHOUTING!'
    "Putting you in a chicken is cruelty to animals!"
    -General Knowledge

JQuatt21 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Anyone know what is going on with the construction at the Contemp??? I came across Lou's WebCast Radio Show and loved it! But While I was looking over the show notes, I saw that the Contemporary Garden Wings were being demolished!???? I have been out of the loop a while..! Anyone know the plans for this and what they are going to do with the property??? Any pics or design concepts and will it match the tower??
    Disney's Polynesian Resort - 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1994
    Disney's Contemporary Resort - 1986, 1997
    Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa - 1989, 1991, 1992
    Orange Lake Resort & CC (Off Property)- 2002, 2003, 2005
    Disney's Wilderness Lodge 2007
    Disney's POP Century Resort 2012
    Disney's Beach Club Villas 2012

liljam is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Rumor has it that the wing will be DVC villas. When I was there in May and bought DVC at SSR, I asked about CR and the guide didn't really say much but the van driver on my tour said that it was turning in to vacation club too.

As for the CR, it's been years since I've been there to stay other than the monorail ride through it I haven't even visited. When I was there, I thought the California Grille was called Top of The World (or maybe that's what my family called it lol!) But I have a phot of me with my Grammy and mom yelling at her to get away from the ledge!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Leslee

Saratoga Springs is my home away from home! Proud DVC Member 5-10-07

Andyxox is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by JQuatt21 View Post
    Anyone know what is going on with the construction at the Contemp??? I came across Lou's WebCast Radio Show and loved it! But While I was looking over the show notes, I saw that the Contemporary Garden Wings were being demolished!???? I have been out of the loop a while..! Anyone know the plans for this and what they are going to do with the property??? Any pics or design concepts and will it match the tower??
    Not sure if you already know this, but I know they're building a secondary Contemporary Tower, it won't have the monorail going through it, it looks like 3/4th of a cylinder standing upright. Quite plain looking. It kind of matches the resort, but it doesn't look unique or anything. I do have renders of it, but alas, I must have 9 posts to post images, and currently I only have 2.
    Last edited by Andyxox; 05-30-2007 at 02:17 PM.

Andyxox is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Here are those renders of Contemporary Tower II:

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    Thanks for those pictures. I personally dont like the look of the new additions, i sure hope i wont be staying in a building site when we are there in May next year, does anyone know when the building is due to be going on & completed?
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Not entirely sure.

However, the Contemporary is, by far, my favorite resort on property!
    It just has so much to do there and it really feels like home, when you exit your room early in the morning and there's the hustle and bussle right below you! It's a great feeling just leaning against the railings of the hallways in your PJ's and just looking down at everything below. I, personally, love walking around the hotel in PJ's. However, I think they're a little more strict about it considering it's much more public than other resorts. I wouldn't know, I've never tried. Haha, go walk around the 4th Floor Concourse in your pajama's and tell me if they say anythign :P
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

mickeymaster is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Ive stayed at the contemporary every year for the past 15 years and I love it! One of its attributes is its location. It is aboout a 10 minute walk to the Magic Kingdom, which is actually about how long it would take the monorail to get there because it is the last stop. And at the end of the day when everyone is tired and sick of walking, it is the first stop on the way back. It lso has some great shops, and Chef Mickeys is one of the best restaurants on property.
    Man has a Dream, and thats a start...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast