Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kindgom Lodge. in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm hoping that my first family vacation to WDW, that we can stay at either Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kindgom Lodge. I've been to Disney many times as a child ...
    DisneyDreamz99 is offline A-Ticket holder

Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kindgom Lodge.

I'm hoping that my first family vacation to WDW, that we can stay at either Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kindgom Lodge. I've been to Disney many times as a child and we've stayed at Wilderness Lodge but it was only for a night before transferring over to Port Orleans-Riverside. My question is about the transportation at the WL. I know AKL has buses for it's resort only. I've read that WL shares busses with other resorts. Anyone who has stayed here found that to be a problem??? I'm used to sharing busses since I've stayed at POR at least 5 times. Also my son will be at least 3 when we visit. Would it better to stay at the AKL for the animals??

Thanks for your advice!

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    It's a personal preferance but I have stayed at WL and loved it and never had a problem with the transportation. We would take the boat just out in back of the WL to the MK, very pretty and relaxing. You can take the bus to the other resorts or you could take the boat to the contemporary and hop on the monorail to the TTC and then over to Epcot on the monorail. We never had a problem with the busses but then we didn't go at a very busy time of year and that may make the difference.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

I completely agree with what GIOny said! We just stayed at WL the end of August and it was so wonderful having the boat to the MK! And when we wanted to go to Epcot we did exactly what they mentioned...took the boat to the Contemporary, hopped on the monorail to the T&TC and then changed over to the Epcot monorail. The only time we used other transportation was when we went to MGM and AK and then it was our own vehicle. With a little one I would say between the two that your best bet would be The Wilderness Lodge, it's only a short 5 minute trip by boat to the Magic Kingdom!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    We will be staying at Wilderness Lodge during a fairly busy time of year( Thanksgiving). I will know more afterwards.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Big thumbs up to the WL. One of the best resorts and the boat ride to/from the is an added benefit I believe.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    We've visited WL but will be staying there for the first time next October.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Mickey08 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Going to be at that resort in two days! We are DVC members and that happens to be our home base. Absolutely love it. Especially the boat ride. A place you must stay at. :-)

ryankcr is offline A-Ticket holder
    We just stayed at the Wilderness Lodge in September. Most of the time the bus transportation was fine. The boat to MK was by far the best. I wouldn't recommend taking the bus there. It was better to drive ourselves. The bus home from the Studios was a bit of a problem because five resorts (GF, WL, Polynesian, Contemporary, and Fort Wilderness) all had to share one bus so it was a little crowded.

cccmouse is offline A-Ticket holder
    I think the WL is the best resort on the property. There is nothing about it that our family doesn't love.

wdwfamily4 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Never had a problem with transportation at WL. Like the above post there are many choices and options that all work equally as well.No problems at AKL either.
    • 1988 WDW-Off Property
    • 1990 Disneyland,CA
    • 1996 WDW-Off Property
    • 1997 WDW-Disney's Contemporary
    • 1998 WDW-Disney's Polynesian
    • 1999 WDW-Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside ( Dixie Landings )
    • 2000 WDW-Disney's Contemporary
    • 2001 WDW-Disney's Wilderness Lodge -Christmas Time
    • 2002 WDW-Disney's Coronado Springs
    • 2003 WDW-Disney's Caribbean Beach
    • 2004 WDW-Disney's Wilderness Lodge -Christmas Time
    • 2005 WDW-Disney's Animal Kingdom
    • 2006 WDW-Disney's Grand Floridian / Disney's Fort Widerness Cabins / Disney's Pop Century
    • 2007 WDW-Disney's Beach Club / Disney's Saratoga Springs / Disney's Port Orleans -French Quarter
    • 2007 New Member DVC Animal Kingdom Villas
    • 2008 Disney Cruise / WDW-Disney's Old Key West/ Disney's Boardwalk / Disney's Yacht Club
    • 2009 WDW-Disney's All Star Movies/ Disney's Old Key West/ Animal Kingdom Villa's

cp1999 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Of the 2 have only stayed at AKL. We had our own car so we never used the bus system. I will say that this was and is the best hotel on property. Lots of activities for kids and it has 2 great restaurants. One thing you have to remember is that this hotel is far from most of the parks. Also do not know if the construction of the new DVC is still causing problems there.
    Mike from Rochester. Yes that Mike from Rochester.

Vista Way- 1999
    Coronado Springs- 2000
    All Star Movies- 2003
    Caribbean Beach- 2004
    Animal Kingdom Lodge- 2005
    Saratoga Springs- 2008

AllAbouttheMouseketeer #119

TEAM VOICE '09
    "Many Goals, One Voice"

genscrap is offline A-Ticket holder
    Just got back from Wilderness Lodge. Out of 8 days of riding buses, only once did we share a bus with another resort which was F. Wilderness and I think the only reason we did was that we left Epcot at midnight and there were not a lot of riders. I personally like taking the boat to MK versus the bus. The transportation was never a problem and wait time for the different parks was extremely short and this was one of the busier times of the year at Disney.

Debra

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    My personal preference would be the AKL. I've stayed at the WL once for a few days and was very disappointed with the room themeing as I expected it to be rustic like the lobby. I thought the camping cabins and even the rooms at POR Alligator Bayou were much more rustic. I don't really remember the buses that much, but I do think they share stops with the campground. Buses at the campground can be hectic to say the least, but I don't remember having any problems with transportation.

AKL is great and doesn't have any animal smell and its great for animal lovers. Like the WL they have activities planned throught the day like nightvision watching of the animals and African storytellers and what not. My two main concerns with AKL would be that if your not willing to pay the Savannah View room price, don't bother staying here. The purpose of the resort is to be able to see the animals, you get a standard view, your looking out at the parking lot or bus loop instead of the animals. Secondly, straws and balloons and things are not allowd at the AKL because of the animals safety, with a 3 year old, this could be a little difficult. They are doing construction there, but I don't know how that's effecting anything.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I've stayed at both and liked both. There are no guarantees that you will see animals in the Savanah so if you're basing your decision on that, you may want to keep to the WL. I was at AKL 3 nights, and did see animals 2 out of the 3 mornings. The one morning where there were no animals in the Savanah was when my dd stayed with me. Transportation seems to be a priority in your decision. AKL is close to AK, but that's the only park it is close to.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

williams is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kindgom Lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by ryankcr View Post
    We just stayed at the Wilderness Lodge in September. Most of the time the bus transportation was fine. The boat to MK was by far the best. I wouldn't recommend taking the bus there. It was better to drive ourselves. The bus home from the Studios was a bit of a problem because five resorts (GF, WL, Polynesian, Contemporary, and Fort Wilderness) all had to share one bus so it was a little crowded.
    Wilderness Lodge is truly awesome!! No doubt it is so beautifully built and well planned, with the interest to detail very high. We have been there in last year (2009) for two weeks and agreed that there bus transportation was really fine and also recommend them.

Best Regards,