Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss New Kennels for WDW in the Vacation Planning forums; As you might have read, Lou wrote of the out-sourcing of the WDW Kennels this winter and a new Kennel for 2009. Best Friends Dog Care has kennels in many ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

New Kennels for WDW

As you might have read, Lou wrote of the out-sourcing of the WDW Kennels this winter and a new Kennel for 2009. Best Friends Dog Care has kennels in many states opening new ones along with buying and rehabbing older but good facilities. We use a mirror of one of these in IL where they have 3 in the Chicago-land area. While the base price is OK the extras will get you. Hopefully this will link you to their rate sheet; http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/ra...ts/WNDYCTY.PDF
    The last time we used our Kennel, 5yrs ago our total bill was over $800.00 for our two dogs sharing one kennel. Kennel costs ran per day, about the cost of a value room at WDW by the time we added in the extras. We have driven over an hour, one way to use our kennel, they took very good care of our dogs and we used them for years however we started setting aside money each week for their boarding as we did for our trip. Our rational, the Kennel was just part of the overall vacation expense. We have never taken our dogs to WDW, we fly, and wouldn't commute with them only to put them in a comparable kennel in WDW but am happy to see for all the dogs and cats that are boarded at WDW, that there will be a much better facility for them coming in 2009. Once the new facility is open it will be interesting to see if the Kennel still encourages daily visits as this could be disruptive to the overall service they provide with walks and playtime available, very much like a parent popping in at a Day Care Center, multiple times a day times, all the parents doing the same thing. That could be a pain to facilitate and confusing to the pet. Web Cam, is available to check in on suites and playtime areas if WDW ever goes Wireless. Our dogs always dragged us into our Kennel here which demonstrated that they were happy to be there. Sometimes I think they received more playtime, walks and direct attention then they received from us on some days. The swimming pool was an added bonus.

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'm happy with the new kennels too, but our dogs will probably never stay there. Mainly because of the price, but also, someone in my family works as a vet assistant and can get the dogs in a whole lot cheaper with the kennel at the animal hospital. And that kennel is only about an hour and a half away from WDW, so if we really needed to be there in a hurry we could. Secondly, my dogs hate staying in the kennel. I'm sure Disney's would be great, but I'm sure they'll still view it as a kennel and won't like it. If Disney would allow pets in the resorts I'd take them with me on vacation in a heartbeat, but unfortunately they don't.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I really liked the kennels on property. We very often put our dog there when we did our day trips. He'd always stay at the one at Epcot. Now that we're further away though I don't see us bringing him and the new pup along.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I'm still waiting for the day that Disney will build a dog friendly resort like Universal. Or at least an area within the resort. It has actually come down to where we have had to change our plans and stay at Universal because we couldn't get anyone to care for our dog. So we made it a Universal vacation instead. It worked out great for us.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder
    Those prices are insane! I agree with the sentiment that they need a pet friendly resort for sure. I think it would do really well, just make a few rooms at some of the resorts pet friendly and put them all in one area, I don't see why anyone would complain unless there was exessive barking or something such as that. What do you all think??

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    I think Disney should make a pet friendly resort. I'd certianly go and take my dogs, even if its a value resort.....and I never stay at values. Firstly, I think it would make Disney much more competitive with off-site properties and with Universal.

That being said, I can see why Disney doesn't allow dogs. Dogs might decide to chew up one of the rooms, they can bite someone, the dog can get stolen or tons of stuff. I guess Disney wouldn't want to be held liable if a dog bit someone or something. Though I think if Disney did it right, they could allow dogs at the resorts. I was actually talking about this with my family the other day, about Disney needing to allow dogs at a resort or two, but still try to avoid liability that they would get in trouble for something. For example, my thoughts (if Disney ever were to open a resort where pets could stay too):

1. Owners must provide proof that all dogs have been vaccinated.
    2. Owner must sign a waiver that Disney is not responsible to anything that may happen to the dog(s).
    3. Owner is responsible for any damages the pet may cause to the resort.
    4. Pets with a recorded bite record would not be allowed to stay at a resort, this would go by dog to dog, not by dogs' breed.
    5. If the owner wants room service or housekeeping, the owner must be present in the room. This would prevent possibilies of dogs escaping/getting stolen.
    6. Dogs must be on leash all times when not in resort room.

I'm sure there's other things they could add. There's a lot of rules, and it might deter some people from brining thier pets, but if Disney did it right, I think pets at resorts would be a good thing, and certainly make them more competitive.

Two of the Kennels have already been taken over by the new operators, has anyone placed their pets in the Kennels yet? How are they?

Sallyb5 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Just posted this somewhere else but can't remember where so I'll put it here too! i've read somewhere that the pets will have a bedtime story and Ice-cream treats too, sounds wonderful. Sounds like the new pet resort will be a Luxury one, would love to have a look around myself.

I have not heard anything about these.

Has anyone (actually anyone's pets) tried these???

Pictures?

Update?