Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Hurricane at a Disney Resort in the Vacation Planning forums; I have had 2 Disney vacation prolonged due to hurricane forecast. The Disney resort couldn't do enough to make our stay entertaining because we couldn't leave the resort. I was ...
    queenofthehouse is offline Fastpass Holder

Hurricane at a Disney Resort

I have had 2 Disney vacation prolonged due to hurricane forecast. The Disney resort couldn't do enough to make our stay entertaining because we couldn't leave the resort. I was lucky enough to be at a deluxe resort so we were allowed to go to the lobby.

I'm curious if anyone has been stuck at a Disney Resort during a hurricane.

If so what resort did you stay at?
    Did you resort supply any entertainment during the storm?
    We're you able to leave your room?
    Any photos fo share?
    Any reports you would like to share?

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    As a Floridian I have been stuck alot of places due to Hurricanes - but never WDW - I would be curious to know how they would take care of guest during a really bad storm...like blow the roof off your building bad. Would they force everyone to evacuate early? Board up their windows? Bring everone into the lobby and hunker down? Usher everyone into the mouse tunnels?
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

For Hurricane Charly I was staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We were told that we may need to stay in our rooms up to 36 hrs. I was origianlly due to leave Friday at 3, but they closed the airport on Friday at noon. So there I stayed. The resort became very crowded. They filled the rooms employees and entertainers from Animal Kingdom.
    Leading up to the storm was a drag, because I didn't know what was going on. Friday was still a nice day, so we went to downtown purchased games for the kids. The resort supplied disney movies all day on TV for the kids. They also delivered flash lights to each room. Once the storm hit, they determined that we could gather in the lobby, which was nice. They had all sorts of entertainment. Sarari Minnie and Goofy came by. Bands playing all day long. Crafts for the kids and lobby art tours, which was really great. There are a lot of interesting things in those lobby cases.

kngdmhrts3 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    i was at pop century for one, it was in 2006, uh they had movies on all day, but beyond that we were left to chill alone, they gave us extra towels and my mom and i bought lota of food and games in the food court and everything POP. hey man i slept all day, and it was awesome, but by the next day we were ready to roll.
    Hakuna Matata

"They say Walt Disney World is the Happiest Place on Earth, but they have never been in your arms"

BethD is offline C-Ticket Holder
    We were actually at the Ft. Wilderness Campground during one Hurricane. They evacuated the Campground, and since we were one of the last people to return to the Campground they had already filled up all the Value and Moderate resorts, so they moved us to the Beach Club. It was really tough...LOL We had a great time!
    Beth D

beth@MouseFanTravel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

We were at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and they brought people over from Ft. Wilderness. It sound like you got a good deal getting to stay at the Beach Club. We also had a lot of animals at the resort too. The Kennel had to evacuate, so people needed to take their pets.

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    wow really interesting stuff...how did disney compensate for all the people that paid for a days worth of park tickets and couldnt use them?
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    I know that my son had to go on mandatory overtime and day off patterns altered. His job changed to storm clean up as needed, where needed. The fine print of a cast member.

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    We've been stuck in hurricanes over at Disney quite frequently. Most of the time it seems that when there's a hurricane we somehow end up at one of the Port Orleans resorts, though once we stayed during a hurricane at the All-Star Sports. When staying at the Port Orleans Resorts, as well as the All-Star, they showed Disney movies, as well as non-Disney movies on many of the TV channels, but otherwise that's the only special entertainment they provided. However, we did plan in advance and brought some books with us and some stuff for drawing/coloring. At the Port Orleans Resorts, once the hurricane lightened up we were allowed out of our room ad to the lobby and food court areas, we weren't allowed to do this at the All-Star as even with just minor winds they were having problems with palm trees snapping in half and they didn't want anyone outside walking around.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter