Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Value? or upgrade to Moderate? in the Vacation Planning forums; Presently we are booked at All-Star Sports On Basic dining Plan. we were thinking of upgrading to the Deluxe dining plan until people suggested maybe upgrade your resort instead. Is ...
    karters*mom is offline A-Ticket holder

Value? or upgrade to Moderate?

Presently we are booked at All-Star Sports
    On Basic dining Plan.
    we were thinking of upgrading to the Deluxe dining plan until people suggested maybe upgrade your resort instead.
    Is it worth it to upgrade?
    how much is it usually?
    Its not like we will be in our rooms much anyways....help!!!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Ok so... let me start out by saying I am a HUGE fan of the value resorts. I absolutely love All Star Movies and Pop Century. Next let me tell you that on our latest trip we decided to upgrade to Moderate and stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort. If you are looking for a bigger room... don't bother going moderate. The rooms are really not all that much bigger than the value resorts. I mean we're talking just a couple feet and it's honestly barely noticeable. Plus as you said, you aren't going to be in your rooms much anyways.

Personally, I think your current vacation package is just perfect. We go vaue and we go with the basic dining... and it's not just to save money. We could've afforded bigger and better in most cases but we fell in love with ASMo and have decided that unless it's to go Deluxe, we won't be upgrading our resorts again.

Either way, you'll have a blast. No matter where you stay, if it's on Disney Property, it's worth it!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    I've stayed at two values and one moderate. The moderate was on my last trip. I think from here on out that I will be staying at moderates. The moderate didn't feel as there were tons of people as I felt like at the all stars. I liked the overall feel a lot better as well.
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by karters*mom View Post
    Presently we are booked at All-Star Sports
    On Basic dining Plan.
    we were thinking of upgrading to the Deluxe dining plan until people suggested maybe upgrade your resort instead.
    Is it worth it to upgrade?
    how much is it usually?
    Its not like we will be in our rooms much anyways....help!!!
    Value resort rates: MouseSavers.com - 2008 Value Resort Room Rates & Season Dates
    Moderate resort rates: MouseSavers.com - 2008 Moderate Resort Room Rates & Season Dates

The difference in price could be anywhere from $67/night (standard room, value season, Sunday-Thursday) to $89/night (preferred room, holiday season, Friday & Saturday).

If you're not going to be in your room for much more than sleeping and showering, I don't see any reason to upgrade your resort. That's the main reason I stay at a Value resort every trip.

I also can't imagine buying the Deluxe Dining Plan. That's just an insane amount of food for an insane amount of money. You're far better off either paying for everything out of pocket or maybe buying the basic plan and paying for the occasional extra (like an appetizer or additional table service meal) out of pocket. The only way I could see the Deluxe Dining Plan (which is about $70/person/night) being financially worth it is if you book three table service meals each and every day.

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    oh and as for the deluxe plan...think about how you like to eat.

Are you ok with grab and go or do you like to sit down every meal? If you like a sit down for every meal and be waited on deluxe would be the way to go. If not stick with the other.
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    I stayed at All Star and Music before and had reservations for Pop Century on my mini vacation in Jan. It was really crowded last time I went. But after hearing about all the trouble the value had with the noise at night as well as unruly kids and PARENTS..I decided to upgrade to Caribbean. It was 50.00 more a night but I will NEVER go back to a value unless I can't get in to a moderate or a deluxe.

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    I've stayed at both values and mods and have loved both. If you are going with kids, I would suggest the value, esp. since you said that for you guys it is just a place to sleep. The values are very kid friendly and a lot of fun. I play basketball, and we stayed at All Star Sports in the basketball section when I was a lot younger, and, to me, that was just the coolest thing. If you have kids into sports coming along, try to see if you can request a certain section that they may enjoy...it's a lot of fun. I agree with BamaJenn, I think your package sounds awesome as is!

If you are really unsure about whether to go w/ the moderate or value, you can always split your stay between two resorts if time allows. My family has done this on our last 3 Disney trips just because we always have such a hard time just picking one resort...it isn't a hassle for us at all, Disney takes care of all of it for us. Just another idea I thought I would throw out there.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

SuzyQ is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I agree with Thumper that the values have a lot to offer for a family - especially if you are traveling with young kids. However, I do enjoy the moderates a lot more. I like how you can stay at a place like French Quarter and feel like you are in a quaint, New Orleans town along the river. The pool is great and has a slide (as do the other moderate resort pools). The pace of moderates just seem a bit less hectic and more relaxed. Three of the four moderates (the Riverside, Caribbean and Coronado Springs) have full-service restaurants which can be nice if you are there in the afternoon for a break and don't want to rush out to have dinner in a park.

Another fun item is being able to take the boat from Riverside or French Quarter to the Downtown Disney area. :-)

But, as you can see from the thoughts above - a lot of it really depends on how much time you may be at your resort (we generally take an afternoon break, so we like being at the resort for a while each day), and if some of their qualities are worth it to you.

As for the deluxe dining - you can also use it toward your benefit if you were planning on dining at some of the spacitaly (2 table service credit) restaurants or taking in dinner shows along with character breakfasts and whatnot.

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    Depends what you want really. Have stayed at both value and moderate resorts and found the mods less crowded and quieter. Of the resorts, POFQ was our favourite, as it had a quiet, calm atmosphere.
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

bety is offline Disney World Beast
    I've stayed at Pop Century a couple of times and I loved it. My only complaint was that I was able to open the door without even getting completely out of bed. On my last trip, we stayed at the Coronado Springs, and it is by far my favorite resort. It's not too much more expensive, and I think it had an overall nicer feel. Also, the room was larger and had a refrigerator, which to me is a huge plus, and there is a curtain that goes across the entire bathroom/sink/closet area so you can actually get dressed and shower without cramping into the bathroom and without anyone seeing you.
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music

ArmySister is offline A-Ticket holder
    If you are like us and spend most of your time in the parks (even when we're at the hotel, we're at the pool), then I'm all for values. They are plenty adequate and the beds at Pop are quite cozy.
    ~*Kimberly*~
    My Blog: The Busy Life of a Single Mom
    Proud Supporter of our Troops

catiebug is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I couldn't imagine upgrading the dining plan. I had the basic last time I was in disney and I felt stuffed all day every day on just a snack, counter service, and a table service.
    Sept 2010 Trip Planned!