Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Need Info on Caribbean Beach Resort.... in the Vacation Planning forums; Please give me the good, the bad and the ugly concerning CBR. We have never stayed at this resort but will be staying there in September. We are hoping to ...
    DisneyorBust is offline C-Ticket Holder

Question Need Info on Caribbean Beach Resort....

Please give me the good, the bad and the ugly concerning CBR. We have never stayed at this resort but will be staying there in September. We are hoping to stay in either Aruba or Jamaica. What do I need to know to get the best out of this resort?
    Off site January 2001
    Off site September 2002
    Polynesian December 2003
    Polynesian November 2004
    Polynesian December 2005
    Polynesian/Grand Floridian October 2006
    Poly December 2007
    CBR Sept 2008
    Poly 11/08 Anniversary trip
    Coronado Springs 3/09
    Poly 9/09
    Poly 2/10
    Poly 9/10

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    We stayed in Martinque because the bus stops there first and is walking distance to the food court. Very Quiet when we went. They have a internal shuttle. The pool was closed for refurb the day before we got there. Bummer , should of checked. Fronr desk Service was SUPERB. We didn't eat in the sit down restaurant. Food court was okay nothing to write home about. Plenty parking. All around good stay.

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Martinique was great because it was close to the bus stops and not that far from the food court. We were newbies back in '90 when we stayed there but we did enjoy it. The moderates definitely require more walking than the deluxe resorts.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

disneyfan822 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Marion, Illinois, originally from St. Louis, MO
    We just stayed there in January for the marathon weekend. We were in Martinique. The bus did stop there first most of the time, but a couple of times they went backwards making us the last stop. We never had a long ride though. We never had a long wait for a bus either. Of course it wasn't really packed in January either. It was a great location, easy to walk to the food court and pretty quiet. There's a really nice jogging trail around the lake and my daughter really enjoyed the playground on the sand and the hammocks. She had a blast building sand castles. The rooms were nice, and bright and cheery. The beds were really tall, we had to kind of hop up onto them. I liked having a curtain between the sink area and the bedroom area, nice for getting ready early in the morning and not waking everyone else up. There was a huge shelf under both sinks also which made for a lot of storage area for bathroom items. We couldn't figure out where to plug in the coffee pot where they had it (on top of the fridge), so we moved it to the table area. There was an internal shuttle to get around inside the resort, but we only had to use it to go to the main desk area when we were leaving. We arrived early in the day and our room wasn't ready, but the concierge desk told us we could check our bags with the luggage area and they kept them and brought them to our room later after we went to the parks for a while. We ate in the food court a few times, and the food was comparable to the other food courts around property. We ate most of our lunches and dinners in the parks, but the breakfast was really good in the food court. They have menus for the food court and Shutters, the restaurant, on allearsnet.com. They also have a pizza delivery, but we didn't try that. The gift shop was very large, but a bit pricey. We did find a few items we liked that weren't too bad. The main pool was closed for refurbishment, but there were a bunch of other pools and they looked great (it ended up being really chilly that weekend so we didn't swim). Everyone was really nice and friendly here, and we are staying there again in August. Hope you have a great time. Sorry if this was really long, but just wanted to give you a good idea of the resort. Overall, we really liked it and are going back like I said in August for our next visit.
    Sheila disneyfan822

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan822 View Post
    We just stayed there in January for the marathon weekend. We were in Martinique. The bus did stop there first most of the time, but a couple of times they went backwards making us the last stop. We never had a long ride though. We never had a long wait for a bus either. Of course it wasn't really packed in January either. It was a great location, easy to walk to the food court and pretty quiet. There's a really nice jogging trail around the lake and my daughter really enjoyed the playground on the sand and the hammocks. She had a blast building sand castles. The rooms were nice, and bright and cheery. The beds were really tall, we had to kind of hop up onto them. I liked having a curtain between the sink area and the bedroom area, nice for getting ready early in the morning and not waking everyone else up. There was a huge shelf under both sinks also which made for a lot of storage area for bathroom items. We couldn't figure out where to plug in the coffee pot where they had it (on top of the fridge), so we moved it to the table area. There was an internal shuttle to get around inside the resort, but we only had to use it to go to the main desk area when we were leaving. We arrived early in the day and our room wasn't ready, but the concierge desk told us we could check our bags with the luggage area and they kept them and brought them to our room later after we went to the parks for a while. We ate in the food court a few times, and the food was comparable to the other food courts around property. We ate most of our lunches and dinners in the parks, but the breakfast was really good in the food court. They have menus for the food court and Shutters, the restaurant, on allearsnet.com. They also have a pizza delivery, but we didn't try that. The gift shop was very large, but a bit pricey. We did find a few items we liked that weren't too bad. The main pool was closed for refurbishment, but there were a bunch of other pools and they looked great (it ended up being really chilly that weekend so we didn't swim). Everyone was really nice and friendly here, and we are staying there again in August. Hope you have a great time. Sorry if this was really long, but just wanted to give you a good idea of the resort. Overall, we really liked it and are going back like I said in August for our next visit.
    I bet we crossed paths and didn't know it. We were in 2346. We left Friday when everybody was coming in for the marathon.

I got a reservation through my Company for Pop Century for Mar 30 through April 4. Wish I was staying back at Caribbean. Saving my money for Big Family deal in May for the whole family. (Gotta Pay for that one, not to mention renew AP for Wife and myself)

disneyfan822 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Marion, Illinois, originally from St. Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmntrans View Post
    I bet we crossed paths and didn't know it. We were in 2346. We left Friday when everybody was coming in for the marathon.
    Boy did we cross paths! We were in the same building. We were in 2313 on the first floor corner room. We got there on Friday morning and left Tuesday afternoon.
    Sheila disneyfan822

GussGuss36 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I just came back from that resort, feb 2008, & I really liked it....

GussGuss36 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I say when you book just pay the little extra for a preferred room this way you dont have a long walk to the food court, which is kind in the center of the resort. It's def worth it. I can see how some people would not want to be in say, trinidad south...I was in trinidad north & had no complaints. Nice little quiet beach outside my building. was very quiet late at night & me & my DGF would go sit on the beach & watch the search lights from the hollywood studios & have a cup of wine. no body bothers you at this resort (but this was my first disney trip) we made a huge mickey mouse face in the sand late at night. all in all I liked the resort & would def go back. the food court was alright, we mainly had breakfast at the counter service places. Was pretty good, I really loved the mickey waffles....awww man.we didn't eat at shutters so I can't tell ya how that is. Mouse keeping was great. we keep our room pretty clean so we didnt get service everyday, but when we would come back at the end of the day there would be a bag filled with all the towels, soaps,coffee etc. we could need. we left a couple tips for the maids, they made great animal towels in the room which I really got a kick out of. I say the only real thing I would suggest is to book a preferred room.

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    We stayed in there in Sept of '06 and enjoyed it. Beautiful resort and lots of fun with the tropical music and colors. We stayed in Barbados and I would recommend a different location. Nothing particualarly wrong with it, but it wasn't too close to Old Port Royale and it was the last bus stop. We also thought that the other buildings were prettier colors, lol. Our Mousekeeping wasn't the greatest but we didn't let it bother us. The resort it gigantic but we had a lot of fun walking all over it and seeing everything. The white sand beaches are gorgeous, the gift shop was pretty big, and we never had to wait long for our busses. We really liked it and I would definitely recommend it.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

BethD is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I don't know when in September you are traveling but keep in mind that Old Port Royal Feature Pool will be closed 01/07/08 - 09/15/08.
    Beth D

beth@MouseFanTravel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    we stayed there in 99 and we didn't like it that much, its mostly do to staying in the last building "trinidad south" and had a room on the lake side. Very far from the main building and taking that into account we didn't get up there very often. our building pool was quiet and the main pool was cool. So both good and bad. I hope you have a great trip
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    Of all the moderate resorts, the Caribbean Beach Resort is probably my least favorite. It is a very wide spread resort and depending upon what builing you get it can be a long walk to the main pool or the food courts and gift shop areas. The themeing is nice and very Caribbean but I think the rooms are showing a little wear from age more so than the other moderates....it is the oldest of the moderates after all. I personally prefer the themeing, quaintness and smaller set up of the French Quarter and Riverside versus Coronado (though the Ranchos section was very nice) and Caribbean Beach.

If Caribbean Beach was all they had I'd take it before I'd stay off property or in a value, but it wouldn't be my first choice of moderates given the size of the resort, quality of the sit-down restaurant and condition of some of the rooms. I probably won't stay there again unless we can get the Trinidad buildings which I enjoyed much more than the other buildings we've stayed in in the past. Of course it may not help my stance on this resort that once when I was a kid we stayed here during Mickey's Very Merry. It was soooo cold that year. All the computers had held the room key codes and stuff crashed accroding to a CM and no ones room key would work except for CM's master keys. So we get back like after midnight and find we're virtually locked out of our hotel room in the cold and had to walk all the way up to the check-in to get a CM to let us in our room. I know this wasn't thier fault, but it wasn't an enjoyable experience.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

MagicMom is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Caribbean Beach Resort is my favorite moderate resort. Actually, it is my favorite resort of all the resorts on property. It is very colorful, cheerful, and cozy. I was actually at the Philly Flower Show yesterday talking about the resort because they had an exhibit there that looked like the buildings in Old Pory Royale.

There are negatives of the resort. As mentioned, if you arrive and don't know any better you can get placed "on an island" that is far away from the central pool and food court at Old Port Royale (the different clusters of rooms are called islands.) Also, during some of the more crowded seasons, the main pool gets VERY CROWDED.

Lots of positives here! The resort is very colorful and cheerful. There is always calypso music playing, which really adds to the lazy and comfortable theme. There is a lake where you can rent boats of all kinds. The promenade is a nice walk that goes around the interior of the entire resort. Each island has its own quiet pool and laundry room, if you need it. Old Port Royale is open late. I think the rooms have been updated within the last several years. The last few times we stayed there they had installed curtains for privacy in the sink area. The rooms seemed to be painted, there were new curtains and bedspreads (look for the hidden Mickeys), and the paintings in the rooms were changed to images of the Disney Cruise Lines in various ports of the Caribbean. If you have little ones, the food court has tables with crayons and coloring pages. Check with the Customs House (front desk) to see what other planned activities they may have for kids during your stay.

Tips:
    Also previously mentioned, Martinique is the BEST location for walking to Old Port Royale. It is very nice to be so close when you need to run quickly for something you need for a child. It used to be the same price as the rest of the resort, but something in my memory tells me that it may be considered an upgraded location now. I don't know what kind of view you have booked, but if location is more important to you it might be better to trade view for proximity to Old Port Royale.

The lower number buildings in Martinique are pretty close to the Martinique Bus Stop. the higher numbers (24, 25, 26) where I like to stay are a closer walk to Calypso Bus Stop at the street side entrance of Old Port Royale.

Go to breakfast early if you want to get Mickey Waffles. They run out fast!

Unless you really like seclusion, try not to stay in Trinidad South. It is located somewhat away from Old Port Royale. Also, the other islands can provide quite a walk to Old Port Royale because you have to walk to the bridge to get across the lake. The closest buildings to the bridge are Jamaica 45/46 and Aruba 51/52. Like we all said, Martinique is the premium location.

Hopefully, this has been helpful. I hope you enjoy Caribbean Beach as much as my family! Have a wonderful trip.

MagicMom is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Sorry, but I forgot to mention, if you plan to request a specific location you have to call NOW and do it if you want any chance of doing it. Naturally, they will tell you that your request will be noted and they can't guarantee anything. September is value season, so you shouldn't have too much trouble.

When you get to the customs house make sure you mention any requests you made. If they say they can't honor your request, put up a little bit of resistance. Usually, polite and friendly negotiation (not to mention saying that a request made 8 months in advance shouldn't be too hard to honor) should get you pretty close, if not dead on, to what you want.

September 2006 was the last time I stayed at CBR. We made the reservation about a year in advance and asked for connecting rooms so that my children would be able to go from room to room without going outside. AND we asked for first floor rooms (no elevators with strollers is no fun). The person at the front desk said they had neither option available. I just kept asking what he could do to help us get what we requested, kept smiling, and kept being polite. They upgraded us to a water view for no extra charge to accomodate us. Sometimes they will even move you to another resort if your needs can't be met at that resort. Just be nice and friendly!

Good luck.