Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for Resort guests? in the Vacation Planning forums; This is my blog this week on my website. I would like to know your thoughts about this as well. Also subscribers to my weekly newsletter will be entered into ...
    unc23 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for Resort guests?

This is my blog this week on my website. I would like to know your thoughts about this as well.

Also subscribers to my weekly newsletter will be entered into a special contest in the next month or so, so make sure you head over to www.wdwpeakseasons.com and sign up. Details to follow in the upcoming weeks.

Should Disney offer Free Internet service for their resort guests?

Many guests to Walt Disney World take their laptops on vacation with them to stay in contact with the rest of the world. They may need it for business, information, or just for leisure. Regardless, Disney does not offer free Internet service to its guests who stay on property. In today’s world, most hotels offer this convenience free of charge as a perk to stay at their hotel.

I have read hundreds of posts on message boards of guests who return from a trip to Walt Disney World and complain that they had to pay for Internet service. Disney offers guests two options, $4.99 for one hour, or $9.99 for 24 continuous hours of service. Opinions vary on whether this is appropriate or not. Some say this is fine, as they do not need access every day, and are willing to spend the money every couple of days. Some feel like if they have spent thousands of dollars for a vacation, then what is a bit more money. Others feel like if they have spent a good chunk of money for a vacation to Walt Disney World, then the least Disney could do is to offer this service free of charge to them.

Disney does not have to offer this service as a complimentary feature because most of its resorts are full throughout the year. Other hotel chains use this option as a perk that may get people to stay at their hotel instead. Disney has recently begun the implementation of giving free Internet service to its guests who are Disney Vacation Club members. This is a good start considering DVC members have paid thousands of dollars on Disney and are set to vacation there for the next 50 years.

Where do I stand on this issue? I believe that with technology being such a part of most peoples lives, Disney could relax its current policy and offer free service to those who are staying at their resorts. Disney has plenty of other avenues to generate money, by raising ticket prices, merchandise, and food options etc…. Disney already offers guests so many perks by staying on property, but with the infusion of Vacation Homes, and other high quality resorts in the Orlando area seeking to get guests to their properties, Disney would be wise to eat this cost and give one more complimentary service to its guests.
    The #1 Weekly Newsletter for Disney Information. Make sure to sign up to receive our weekly Disney newsletter:

http://wdwnewsletter.com

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I think you pointed out exactly why Disney doesn't have to offer free internet - most resorts aren't hurting for guests. If Disney sees that they are losing guests to other hotels that do offer free internet, then you may see a change. Till then, it's go cold turkey or be selective on the amount of time you choose to use the Internet.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Am I the only one who wants to be no where near the Internet while I'm on vacation?

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    I took my laptop with air card to WDW in January and stayed at the Caribbean Resort and COULD NOT get a signal anywhere. In the courtyard , parking lot etc... We could not get a signal on the air card until we got back to 192. My laptop in my rig did the same thing when I offloaded at the Water treatment Plant in WDW in October of last year. So this May I guess I have to pay for access.

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    Am I the only one who wants to be no where near the Internet while I'm on vacation?

I need the Internet while I'm there to remind me where I wanted to go in WDW !!!!

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    That's what the Unofficial Guide and printouts from Touringplans.com are for.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    I avoid the internet like the plague while on vacation. I leave my laptop at home. I'm not interested in being connected at all. Anyone who needs to reach me has my cell phone number. Family members always have a copy our itineraries.

So even the fact that I now get free internet as a DVC member, well it still doesn't temp me to bring down my laptop to WDW.

Guides? Printouts? Reminders of where we need to go? We don't need any of that.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I agree, I don't want to be anywhere near a computer on my vacation, except for the ones running everything at WDW; lol.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    We always travel with at least one laptop, often them all. They kill time in the airports, have you ever been delayed at O'Hare, ugh. Orlando airport now has plug tree's so nobody need search for an outlet waiting to depart.
    Our airplane had outlet ports where lighters would have been. Makes the time go by quicker. I convention at Universal so it came out, but once we make it to Disney Property they have never come out, we are to busy and wish to forget the outside world. But they are there in case of an emergency. Let me tell you they are a lifesaver to rebook verses standing in line for a ticket agent.

That said, it is a bit ridiculous in this day and age that they charge and wireless isn't the norm. Come on, Disney is the cutting edge of all things tech.

blue donkey is offline A-Ticket holder
    My DH usually has to do some work while on any vacation longer than a few days. Plus, we like to download our photos & videos so we don't fill up of memory cards. But, we're used to having to pay for internet wherever we stay. It'd be a plus, if it were free though. Maybe one day I'll keep up w/technology & have internet on my phone.
    Hidden Mickeys, beware!

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    Does anyone know if the free DVC internet is up and running yet?
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skiyalater View Post
    Does anyone know if the free DVC internet is up and running yet?
    I seem to recall a vague mention of "this Spring" when the announcement came out.
    Amanda

mcmahanm1 is offline A-Ticket holder

Free internet as a DVC member?

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    I avoid the internet like the plague while on vacation. I leave my laptop at home. I'm not interested in being connected at all. Anyone who needs to reach me has my cell phone number. Family members always have a copy our itineraries.

So even the fact that I now get free internet as a DVC member, well it still doesn't temp me to bring down my laptop to WDW.

Guides? Printouts? Reminders of where we need to go? We don't need any of that.
    So how do you get free internet as a DVC member? I used our points at OKW in Jan 08 and had to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmahanm1 View Post
    So how do you get free internet as a DVC member? I used our points at OKW in Jan 08 and had to pay for it.
    Read my post above. I don't think it is has started. I heard the announcement after my December 2007 trip.
    Amanda

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    I've heard some people say that it is working, and others saying that it is not. so I don't know, but I have a research paper that I have to work on during spring break that i might need internet for.
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast