Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Moderate vs. Deluxe Hotels in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm planning my 2nd Walt Disney World vacation, sadly it won't be until 2011 unless some major magic happens and my parents decided we can go earlier. 2011 is their ...
    NeedmyDisneyFix is offline A-Ticket holder

Arrow Moderate vs. Deluxe Hotels

I'm planning my 2nd Walt Disney World vacation, sadly it won't be until 2011 unless some major magic happens and my parents decided we can go earlier. 2011 is their goal year because I graduate college.

I was wondering is it really worth staying at a Deluxe resort instead of a moderate?

Our first trip was 2006 and we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside.
    I like the value resorts mostly because they can be cheap but still Disney. Well my mom thinks (no offense to you value people!) that going to value resorts is also mingling with lower class people. Yes, my mom is a Disney Hierarchist! I'm ashamed So it's out of the question. We liked moderate resorts and would try another one, probably Caribbean Beach.

So is it worth going Deluxe!?
    Cristabel

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Well, the hotels "worth" is dependent on you. What makes a hotel's cost worth it to you and your family? For starters, what amenities do you require? Is it the resort's location that is important to you? Table service restaurants? Food court? Night time entertainment?

I'm not sure exactly what your mother is reacting against with the value resorts, since people of various income and class levels do in fact stay there. Do not be fooled into thinking because you are paying more money for your room that it will guarantee you a "higher class" of people.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    Do not be fooled into thinking because you are paying more money for your room that it will guarantee you a "higher class" of people.
    Oh I'm not. She just says the value resorts look cheesy. Whatever that means...
    Cristabel

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    Do not be fooled into thinking because you are paying more money for your room that it will guarantee you a "higher class" of people.
    Oh I'm not. She just says the value resorts look cheesy. Whatever that means...
    Cristabel

DVC Mike is offline C-Ticket Holder
    To me, the Deluxe resorts are worth it.

Advantages of a Deluxe over a Moderate Resort

• Larger: (344-476 sq ft vs 314 sq ft)
    • Most rooms accommodate 5 guests
    • Typically 2 Queen beds vs. typical 2 Double beds in Mods
    • Multiple onsite TS, including Signature Dining and Character Dining
    • Suites
    • Club-level Concierge
    • Fitness Center
    • Kidís Activities and Child Care
    • Larger, elaborately themed pools (some zero entry) with Awesome Slides
    • 24-hour Room Service
    • Valet Parking
    • Balcony
    • Interior air-conditioned hallways instead of exterior
    • Best locations and transportation options (walking, boating, or monorails to parks)
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: BLT, BWV, BCV and VGC

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    I think what you need to ask yourself is how much time are you going to spend at your resort during your trip or your parents. If you open and close the parks it really isn't worth it 'cause your asleep when your in a room. If the parents need longer breaks it maybe worth having some more wiggle room and a nice place for you to roam around, eat and a great pool to sit beside.

FigmentMushu is offline Chuck & Leigh
    Like MandaBella said, you really have to consider what it is you're looking for as far as amenities when you stay. What do you want in your hotel and how close do you want to be to your favorite park.

I would recommend seriously looking into the Wilderness Lodge, which is priced on the low end of the Deluxe Resorts and is one of the very best on property. Highlights include a boat launch to the Magic Kingdom, a spectacular lobby, the pool that blends in with nature, and the Whispering Canyon Cafe (or Artists Point.)

If you're not so worried about price, and would like to be close to EPCOT, the Beach Club is worth looking into. Their pool is the best on property and Beaches & Cream has some of the best burgers on property (as well as some great ice cream dishes.)
    Dreams Never Die!

This trip I plan our park time to be 75% of the time and hotel/ relaxation time to be 25%. Last time our park time was 95% and RR time was 5%. Yeah, we weren't to happy by the end of the trip

So I'm definitely leaning towards the deluxe resort villas, especially since we might have eight people in our group. It would be my main family (5) and my sister's boyfriend (if they are still together, they're great but you never know) and my cousin. This will cost us big money (an estimated $10,000) if we have 7 day parkhoppers, hotel, dining plan, and airfare. That's why I'm wondering if Deluxe is REALLY worth it.

If not, then we would rather save money and get two rooms at a moderate hotel. But I really do love the idea of being a hop, skip, and a jump from Epcot and other parks.

Oh the humanity!

good thing I have two years to deal with this right?
    Cristabel

suznels is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I've never stayed deluxe and I doubt I ever will! I think the mods are great particularly when we spend MOST of our time in the parks. My favorite is POFQ.
    Suzie

Quote Originally Posted by suznels View Post
    I've never stayed deluxe and I doubt I ever will! I think the mods are great particularly when we spend MOST of our time in the parks. My favorite is POFQ.
    I wanted to stay in the mansions on our first trip but we had five so (back then) we stayed in the Riverside (alligator bayou). Now they put it back to four people per room, LAMENESS
    Cristabel

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedmyDisneyFix View Post
    I wanted to stay in the mansions on our first trip but we had five so (back then) we stayed in the Riverside (alligator bayou). Now they put it back to four people per room, LAMENESS
    You can still put 5 in many of the rooms in Alligator Bayou - the trundle beds are still there. You just have to call to make the reservation, you can't do it on the website.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    You can still put 5 in many of the rooms in Alligator Bayou - the trundle beds are still there. You just have to call to make the reservation, you can't do it on the website.
    Oh, yeah now I remember.

and I also remember how squished I felt. One more reason to go to Deluxe
    Cristabel

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    I stayed @ All Star Sports when I had kids... Since then (they're 22 and 20 and 13) I stay @ moderates and now trying DVC rentals. Value is just that Value. Meaning folks trying to save a buck . Right now since my 13 years old doesn't want to go..its just the wife and myself. I pay extra for the QUIET and peace associated with a moderate and deluxe resort. It no way reflects on the class of people because you still have to rub elbows with everone at the parks. Yes it does look a little cheesy but Disney chose to add themes to the value resorts just like the mods and deluxe. And since I would say at least 70 to 80 % or better have kids staying there, I think they did a marvelous job.
    I will be staying at SSR in May and will be eating Breakfast @ POP at least once and eating lunch at WL whispering Canyon so it really don't matter the CLASS person whose there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmntrans View Post
    I stayed @ All Star Sports when I had kids... Since then (they're 22 and 20 and 13) I stay @ moderates and now trying DVC rentals. Value is just that Value. Meaning folks trying to save a buck . Right now since my 13 years old doesn't want to go..its just the wife and myself. I pay extra for the QUIET and peace associated with a moderate and deluxe resort. It no way reflects on the class of people because you still have to rub elbows with everone at the parks. Yes it does look a little cheesy but Disney chose to add themes to the value resorts just like the mods and deluxe. And since I would say at least 70 to 80 % or better have kids staying there, I think they did a marvelous job.
    I will be staying at SSR in May and will be eating Breakfast @ POP at least once and eating lunch at WL whispering Canyon so it really don't matter the CLASS person whose there.
    I just want to make this clear, I don't believe that certain 'classes" stay at certain hotels. I've seen some pretty unclassy people who stay at deluxe and moderate resorts, so it's not a fact. I just want to make sure everyone knows this!
    Please tell me how your SSR stay is, i hear it's absolutely amazing.
    Cristabel

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    I understand what you were trying to convey..I didn't take offense, I hope no one else did also. I also throw this in there too..my sister is married to a VERY VERY successful doctor in Louisiana. She would stay @ the All stars then next year stayed at Grand Floridian. Until recently she was a annual passholder and used to go down several times a year. She stayed everywhere.
    I'll let u know about SSR..my daughter and I were there a couple weeks ago to scope it out for when my wife and myself go in May for 6 days. The golf greens were impressive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast