Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Animal Kingdom Lodge vs Beach Club? in the Vacation Planning forums; We were booked for 11 days in July Savannah View at the AKL and after much debate we changed everything to a Standard View room at the BC. Since we're ...
    Mmouse1026 is offline A-Ticket holder

Animal Kingdom Lodge vs Beach Club?

We were booked for 11 days in July Savannah View at the AKL and after much debate we changed everything to a Standard View room at the BC. Since we're staying longer than usual location is important and the AKL is pretty secluded in addition the idea of being able to just stroll over to Epcot pushed us over the top. Here's my question did I make a mistake?? We've never stayed at the BC before. What are the Standard View rooms like? What is the transportaion like? Anything I should know??

Thanks!
    Dawn

1978 Lake Buena Vista; 1988/1990 Off-Site;1995/1997 All Star Music;1996 All Star Sports;1998 FW Campgrounds;2001 Wilderness Lodge;2002/2003 AKL SSW;2004 POR SSW;2005;CBR MNSSHP;2006 POR;2006 POP Century ;2007 Wilderness Lodge ;2007 POR

Counting down until BC July 2008

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I wouldn't say it was a mistake - Beach Club is a beautiful resort, the pool can't be beat, and having that back door to Epcot is great. A standard view room will not give you the prettiest of views (my standard view stay there was over the driveway). But with such a long stay, did you consider splitting your time between the two resorts? AKL is amazing, and the savannah view is a very unique experience. You could stay a few days at AKL and then the rest at Beach Club. Disney makes it easy to change resorts - they will even move your luggage for you.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I agree with Disneydame, a split stay may be the answer. I have never stayed at the AKL, but I have stayed at the Beach Club. The convenience of getting to Epcot and MGM cannot be beat. The walk to Epcot is easy and you can also walk to MGM but it takes quite a bit longer so I would go by boat (it's a really nice ride and it's part of Disney Transportation so there is no charge). The Beach Club has a great pool and it's in a lively area, being just across from the Boardwalk, and has many choices for restaurants and entertainment.. In saying all that , I would love to stay at the AKL some day and see the savannah from my room. Split stay would give you the best of both worlds
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Excellent idea to split the time. The best of both worlds!

brad9008 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    i would like to stay at beach club. i stayed at animal kingdom lodge and was nice

ftg09 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I really enjoyed Animal Kingdom Lodge when we stayed there. We had a pool view, but if you have a chance for a Savanah view you should deffinatly take the opportunity. I have never stayed at Beach Club, so I agree with what others are saying about switching resorts. Have an awesome vacation either way!

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    We've stayed at both resorts numerous times. We really like the theming and restaurants at AKL, but we prefer BC for all of the reasons other posters have mentioned.

Another consideration is that the rooms at BC are larger than the rooms at AKL. For a lengthy stay, this is important to us.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Mmouse1026 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks for the input! I've tossed around the idea of splitting the stay but Hubby isn't going for it. I didn't realize the rooms were a bit bigger at the BC, we have our 17 year old daughter and her best friend joining us this time so extra room is fabulous!
    Dawn

1978 Lake Buena Vista; 1988/1990 Off-Site;1995/1997 All Star Music;1996 All Star Sports;1998 FW Campgrounds;2001 Wilderness Lodge;2002/2003 AKL SSW;2004 POR SSW;2005;CBR MNSSHP;2006 POR;2006 POP Century ;2007 Wilderness Lodge ;2007 POR

Counting down until BC July 2008

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder
    If I had to pick one, it would be the AKL. Its amazing
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

SuzyQ is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Hi Dawn,

For the longer stay and visiting with a teen and her friend, I think that you made the right choice to switch over to the Beach Club.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is gorgeous and it is one of my favorite resorts. However, for a longer stay, you will probably enjoy the ease of just being able to stroll over to the Boardwalk or Epcot at any time without the need to wait for a bus. Plus, your 17 year old will have more to do with her friend in the surrounding area. No doubt they will enjoy the extra things to do around the BC and Boardwalk areas.

We have split stays before and I recommend that to people who are really interested in experiencing both resorts. However, if you booked MYW packages with dining, that can take a little working to be cost effective (since you would need tickets on each reservation).

Since your hubby is currently against it, no worries. But, if he changes his mind and you are on dining there are ways to work it out so that you are not overpaying for the park tickets.

One last thing: Since you are currently booked in a standard, be sure to be on the lookout (of let your TA know) any summer promotions that may come up. Hard to say if they will release one, but if they do and it applies to your resort and dates, you may be able to upgrade to a pool/water view room for just a smidge.
    Last edited by SuzyQ; 04-26-2008 at 10:54 PM.
    Suzy
    suzy@mousefantravel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

princessmom17 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I have this same predicament. We are going to Disney the week after Thanksgiving. We had a Magic Kingdom view booked at the Contemporary but I was able to get an extra day in at the Beach Club Standard View. So I switched my reservation. My kids who are younger than yours (9 and 5) were dying to try out Stormalong Bay. I'm a little worried too since we have really fallen in love with the Contemporary. I have had friends that stayed at the BC and they told me I would love it. Plus it does seem centrally located to Hollywood Studios, Epcot, and the Boardwalk. In addition, you can sit on the Beach and watch the fireworks every night from Hollywood Studios and Epcot. They also have bonfires and movies on the beach, plus a great arcade. There will probably be more to do for your children at the Beach Club.
    2002 - Off Site
    2003 - Caribbean Beach
    2005 - Contemporary
    2007 - Contemporary
    2008 - Beach Club

disneyveteran is offline 24 trips to the World and counting
    Every couple of years we do a two week vacation and we always try to stay at the BC during that time. The kids love the pool so much that I have a hard time getting them out, being so close to Epcot is a huge plus and you can watch the fireworks from on top of the bridge coming from the Boardwalk.
    TINA

2009 April Boardwalk & Beach Club Villas
    2008 July Polynesian Conceierge
    2008 March Beach Club Villas
    2007 July Contemporary Concierge
    2007 April Grand Floridian Concierge/Beach Club Villas
    2006 July The Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
    2006 April Polynesian Concierge
    2005 Contemporary/Grand Floridian Concierge
    2004 Grand Floridian Concierge
    2003 Polynesian Concierge
    2002 Beach Club Villas
    2001 Polynesian
    2000 Polynesian

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    if you're going to have a predicament that's a great one to have! my family loves both those hotels...i agree that you made a good decision..the 17 yr olds will have more to do at the BC and even at the boardwalk...lots of restaurants and it's nice to walk to epcot....stormalong bay is a great pool, i love the sand bottom!
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    We are staying at the BC later this year and can't wait!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

tkldisney is offline A-Ticket holder
    I've had same problem going on. I decided on 4 nights at AKL (dh really wants to stay here) and 3 nights at the Dolphin. None of the Disney Epcot resorts or S & D for that matter are available for the 6th. Not sure why.
    Our 20th anniversary is on the 6th and since we want to spend the last part at the Food & Wine festival we wanted the Epcot area. No driving!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast