Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Trying to plan in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi everyone, we are trying to plan a family vacation to Disney World for 2 weeks In December,most likely the beginning.It will be myself,hubby,grandparent and our 4 yr old son.My ...
    ktdaiwik is offline A-Ticket holder

Trying to plan

Hi everyone,
    we are trying to plan a family vacation to Disney World for 2 weeks In December,most likely the beginning.It will be myself,hubby,grandparent and our 4 yr old son.My prediciment is that hubby wants to stay at the value resorts,but i want a place that has somewhat comfy beds and a place my son will feel surrounded by Disney in.Hubby also thinks we wont be spending too much time in our room.If anyone has any suggestions on what would be best please help me out.I guess hubby likes the look of the Movie one,he read that they have a Tiki Bar etc,papa is willing to watch our little man and have him stay with him in his room.How is transportation etc from there to everywhere.I am excited because I am originally from New Zealand so it will be my first trip too.Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

bety is offline Disney World Beast
    I've stayed at the value resorts plenty of times and I definitley feel surrounded by Disney. The beds are comfortable too, and I think the atmosphere of the values are more kid-friendly. I've stayed at the POP twice, and am staying there again for my trip this December. I love it!
    However, if you want to stay at a moderate resort instead because you think your son will like it better, December is a good time to do that because the prices are significantly lower. Last December we stayed at the Coronado and loved it.
    No matter which value or moderate you stay in, the transportation is the same and it is very very convenient.
    Either way I think you will be happy and comfortable and your son will feel like he is in Disney World.
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music

tigger_03 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    We've never stayed at a value but I think they would be kid friendly.

Here's a link that might help you decide which resort. Basic Disney Resort Information

Staying on site this year

Previous trips 1986 & 2003

If you stay in a value stay in Pop Century. It has it's own transportation whereas the All Star resorts share a bus. I love it there. I'll be there in December also for Mousefest.
    Pop is very kid (and adult) friendly. And I don't think I ever had a bad bed in any Disney resort. There is great resort information over at Deb's Unofficial Walt Disney World Vacation Information Guide - WDW Planning Guide - Walt Disney World. Check it out.

Lori
    Last edited by disneydame2004; 04-30-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: correction Pop= value not moderate resort

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

kentgurgie is offline B-Ticket Holder
    we stayed there before we had children,my only downside with it was that the bus trip to the MK seemed endless,which may be hard if your 4 year old is tired at the end of the day.Check the price for all of you to stay in the Fort Wilderness Cabins very nice.We stayed there in 06 My kids loved it they were 3 and 4 at the time,they especially loved the boats to the contemporary and the MK.

Recent past trip 2006

Going this year!!!!

kentgurgie is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by kentgurgie View Post
    we stayed there before we had children,my only downside with it was that the bus trip to the MK seemed endless,which may be hard if your 4 year old is tired at the end of the day.Check the price for all of you to stay in the Fort Wilderness Cabins very nice.We stayed there in 06 My kids loved it they were 3 and 4 at the time,they especially loved the boats to the contemporary and the MK.

Recent past trip 2006

Going this year!!!!

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    If anything, the Values will make you feel *more* surrounded by Disney than the Moderates or Deluxes. The Moderates & Deluxes have more "adult" themes. The values are all about gigantic icons of Disneyana, Pop Culture, etc.

I'm like your husband - you need a room for a bed, roof, and shower. If I'm not sleeping or showering, I'm in the parks.

Thankyou all so much,we are also considering splitting the time and maybe trying the movie one and one other resort.Ok sorry to sound dumb but what is Mousefest?Also does anyone have any opinions on good Character Dining?
    kt(Yahhhhhhhh I am going to get some mouse ears!)

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    MouseFest is a gathering of Disney Fans from all over the internet. It takes place in December at Walt Disney World. Check out MouseFest 2007 - An International Gathering of Disney Fans for all the details.

Character dining - depends on the characters you want to see. Mickey and Friends - try Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Resort. Pooh & Friends - Crystal Palace. Princesses - Askerhaus in Norway at Epcot or the extremely popular Cinderella's Royal Table. Those are the big ones. A complete list is available at Character Meals and Tips
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Splitting the time is a great idea - two weeks in the same room is a long time. You might try a moderate resort for part of your time - I would recommend Port Orleans: Riverside with your 4 year old. It is very family friendly, has lots of activities and space to move around in. There are rooms in one section of the resort (called the Alligator Bayou section) that have trundle beds - a smaller bed that rolls out from under the regular bed - so you could sleep up to 5 people in that room.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

First Timer is offline I saw the Mouse now I want to go back!
    If your going to do Chef Mickey be sure to book well in advance
    Loni

First Trip- Jan. 07, POFQ
    Second Trip- May 08, Pop Century

wow you guys respond quickly!Thankyou so much once again,we are trying to have everything booked in the next couple of weeks,so hopefully you can book Character Dining now for then.
    Thanks again.

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder
    you can book ADR's 180 days out for most character meals. have fun
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

tigger_03 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Character Dining...do you have any specific characters you'd like to see/eat with? That's how we began to figure out which character dining we wanted to book.

You can book reservations for 180 days out.

Staying on site this year

Previous trips 1986 & 2003

I think most of the usual characters,Mickey,Minnie,Goofy,Donald...
    Of course I would love to go see Pooh,Tigger etc.
    I found out we should do reservations in June so i need to make up our minds which ones to go to by then.
    Once again thankyou for all your help.