Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Polynesian vs Contemporary in the Vacation Planning forums; Ok, we have narrowed our decisions down and we are 99% sure that we will stay at the Polynesian. However, I wanted to check on here and ask if anyone ...
    aprilhendrix9 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Polynesian vs Contemporary

Ok, we have narrowed our decisions down and we are 99% sure that we will stay at the Polynesian. However, I wanted to check on here and ask if anyone had stayed at both before and which one they preferred and why?

Thanks!
    This September!! . . . 2010-6 days-Animal Kingdom
    1994-1 day-Mgic Kingdom-Off Site
    1995-1 day-Magic Kingdom-Off Site
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

toothdoc is offline A-Ticket holder
    Dear April,
    I have never stayed at the Contemporary, however I have stayed at the Polynesian and feel this is truly the best resort at WDW. In business its about location, you can walk out to the beach and see the water pagent or more importantly "Wishes" looking right down Mainstreet. You can walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail rather than boarding the resort monrail first. Also with the resort monorail or buses you are not first or last in getting to your destination or being picked up. The themeing is wonderful and the staff is very freindly. The Poly's staff is warm and laid back. I have stayed at the Grand Floridian and felt this hotel was to stuffy. WHen you are on vacation you want to feel relaxed. Any other questions please right back, for example good rooms to request, etc. Also a good web reference is tikiman2001.net, this web site is dedicated to the Poly. Hope you have a good trip, will e at the Poly in June for my second visit.

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    We have stayed at both numerous times. There are pros and cons to both resorts, so you should decide which resort is better suited to your plans.

At the CR, I'm only happy if we stay in the Tower. There's just something about being where all the action is. Plus, you have a great view on either side. You can either watch the MK fireworks from your balcony or the EWP on Bay Lake from the other side. You can walk to the MK (monorail takes too long) and take a boat over to Fort Wilderness if you want to do any of the activities there. The rooms are nicely appointed since they were refurbished although I don't care for the new bathrooms because of the sinks and lack of counter space. We've never had a bad stay at the CR.

The Poly, IMHO, is the best themed resort in WDW. Some people say this resort is not "Disney" enough, but that's the point. I don't need to see characters everywhere I turn to enjoy WDW. Once you enter the Poly it truly feels as though you have been transported to a polynesian paradise. The touches are everywhere - the Great Ceremonial House, restaurants and pools. The rooms are amply large (although a little smaller than CR) and some have magnificent views. The restaurants are all good. You can walk to the TTC and catch the monorail to Epcot without having to ride all the way around to the TTC.

So, I think you should read reviews of the resorts as well as check out the particulars regarding each resort at Deb's Allears.net.

Enjoy your trip regardless of your choice!
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    What a tough choice, sounds like a great trip though.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Thank you both so much! I think we will go with the Polynesian for the atmosphere. I love the idea of feeling like I am on an island while in the hotel, beach and pool areas.

Any suggestions on where to stay inside the Polynesian? Are there different areas of the hotel?

Also, I've read some reviews on here about the luah at the Polynesian. It seems like it is either love it or hate it. Is it worth it?
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

Sharpays Mom is offline A-Ticket holder
    We prefer the Contemporary because you can walk to/from the Magic Kingdom which is quite helpful for early morning at Cinderella's Castle or late night after the fireworks. Also it does have unobstructed views of the Magic Kingdom. It's one of the few resorts where the rooms are in the same building as the front desk - something I consider if travelling alone with my daughter. But, on the downside, it is a business hotel and is therefore a little less kid friendly. But if you purchase more than you can stuff in your suitcase, you can arrange to ship it home from the office center - don't laugh, we've done that!

I did stay in the Polynesian years ago and liked it but it's too slow paced for me.

Can't really go wrong with either!

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.
    I have also stayed in both and they are my two favorite resorts @ WDW. Both are very convienient to the MK but in my opinion offer two different takes on the Disney experience.

I like the fact that they were both original hotels on opening day in '71. Even after the refurbishments the original charm remains, and the rooms are larger than their deluxe resort counterparts.

As for the Contemporary, it is a very spacious resort without being too spread out. It is open and airy and feels clean with well manicured lawns and landscaping. As mentioned above, it does host buisiness conventions and may not be as kid oriented as other resorts on property, but there is something way too cool about watching the monorail whoosh through the tower to collect passengers.......this is the future Uncle Walt promised us.

The Polynesian is indeed laid back and friendly. The monorail is a less prominent feature in it's personality but is right there when you want it. Adding to the ambience is the wonderful music piped in throughout the grounds and the torch lighting during the evenings. To me it feels like more of an escape from the real world than the Contemporary and by a slim margin, is my pick as well. As far as room location, I like Raratonga on the ground floor with a view of the quiet pool- still feels secluded, but is a short walk to the Great Ceremonial House (monorail landing, shops and restaurants), very convienient to the TTC (Epcot monorail) and a very short walk to the bus stop (although on the quiet pool side you will never hear or see them).

Good choice and enjoy your stay!

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder
    there is no question I would take the Poly. It has a better theme and atmosphere, not to mention better eateries. Plus you can walk to the TTC for the monorail trip to Epcot
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Kyle & Michelle is offline A-Ticket holder
    We love the Polynesian. We stayed there on our honeymoon and had such a memorable experience created by the amazing staff there.

After our cruise, we arrived to check in at the Poly, and unfortunately I was sick. We didn't mention this to the lady checking us in, however she must have noticed.

Within minutes checking in and then settling into our room we heard a knock at the door. It was a cast member with a tray. On it sat a get well soon card and a hot bowl of chicken noodle soup...WOW!!

So, call us biased, but we have a soft spot for the Poly!

Not to mention we can be to far away from one of our favorite restaurants...Ohana!
    Be Blessed!
    Kyle and Michelle

-----
    Kyle Froman
    Travel Dream Maker

e kyle.froman@offtoneverland.com
    p (615) 403-3805
    w http://kylefroman.offtoneverland.com

Kyle and Michelle~What a great story!
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

DisneyorBust is offline C-Ticket Holder

Smile

First let me say that the POLY is by far my favorite resort on property. I prefer the POLY because of the overall feel/theming and laidback feel to the place. For me it truly is my "home away from home". I love the ease of transportation too, Monorail or ferry to MK, Monorail to Epcot. My preferred longhouses: Tokelau ( right in the middle of the resort, close to everything) Rapa Nui: (closer to the TTC, and in a very quiet part of a quiet resort) Tahiti: (great location, on the beach, MK views too) all three of these longhouses have the largest standard rooms on property, 476 square feet. Plenty of room, especially for a family of 5 like ours.
    One thing to remember, concerning the Contemporary; it is a convention resort. We had a huge problem the first (and only) time we stayed there, with the convention attendees.
    Off site January 2001
    Off site September 2002
    Polynesian December 2003
    Polynesian November 2004
    Polynesian December 2005
    Polynesian/Grand Floridian October 2006
    Poly December 2007
    CBR Sept 2008
    Poly 11/08 Anniversary trip
    Coronado Springs 3/09
    Poly 9/09
    Poly 2/10