Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Values vs. Mods in the Vacation Planning forums; O.K. We have been to WDW 3 times and every time we have stayed in a value All Star resort. I have since wanted to try a moderate resort. Here ...
    ImaMouser is offline D-Ticket Holder

Values vs. Mods

O.K. We have been to WDW 3 times and every time we have stayed in a value All Star resort. I have since wanted to try a moderate resort.

Here is the question. Is it really worth the extra $$$ to stay at the Mods? We have a family of 4 so the # of people is not an issue. We very rarely do much at our room except sleep and shower. I enjoy the theming at the AS resorts. I'm sure the theming is great at the Mods.

Please give me some pros and cons to help me make a decision for our next trip. Thanks for your help!
    Walt is the man, Mickey is the mouse but Minnie is THE WOMAN

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Some things you will find at the Moderate Resorts:
    - mini fridge in each room included at no extra charge
    - both a table service restaurant and food court (except at PO:FQ, which only has a food court)
    - activities such as marinas and bike rentals. Carriage rides at the Port Orleans resorts, and the boat to Downtown Disney.
    - themes are not giant pop icons, you are transported to different locations via architecture and landscaping. Building layouts can help make you feel like it is less crowded.
    - feature pools with slides
    - larger room size (though some say not significantly larger)

Cons: the higher cost.

If you only sleep & shower at your resort, then moving up to a moderate may not be for you. If you will have any down time, or like to take a break from the parks for a swim, etc., you may enjoy the atmosphere and the extra activities.

Happy planning!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    I agree w/ everything DisneyDame said above. My family rarely spends time in our room too, and we still find it worth it to stay at the mods. Although we do love the values, I just love the beautiful theming and atmospheres at the mods. I've been to all except Coronado Springs and absolutely loved every one of them. I say give it a shot...or maybe try splitting your stay between a value and mod and then next time you go back you'll know for sure which one to go with.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    All we normally do is sleep and shower in the room too. That's why we're staying at a value resort when we go in November.

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    The one thing the mods definitely have over the value is crowds. I try not to go to WDW at peak times, or even regular times due to the crowds and I still feel like escaping to a moderate to avoid the amount of foot traffic found at the values. Transportation is less crowded also. If you don't mind the amount of people I would stick with a value and take home a great souvenir of your trip.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

cjborne2 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    We have only stayed at an All Star, but are booked for the POFQ for our upcoming trip. We are also a group that doesn't spend much time in the room. We didn't really even look around our hotel when we were there last time. (I think I've learned more from pictures since we've returned than from what we actually saw there!) That said, we're getting the bigger room this time around because we will have DH's guide dog with us. We thought we could use the extra space because he is not a small pup.
    Law School Family Reward Trip August 2005

Land-Sea-Land Vacation June 2008

Disney Wonder cruise to Alaska June 2011

My Milestone Birthday Trip April 2012

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    Try to get the AAA discount. My bro in law stayed @ PORS for 89.00 a nite 3 weeks ago. To me its worth the extra money than a value just because of the peace and quiet and less crowds. As of now either I use AAA for a mod or I rent someone points at a DVC. Also check Ebay. ALOT DVC members are selling weekly rentals from there banked points because they can't afford to go this year because of fuel being high. I've seen a week at Saratoga going for 450.00 in July this year.

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Moderate rooms are 314 sq. ft. (except CBR rooms are 340).
    Value rooms are 260 sq. ft.
    The 54 square feet difference is about the size of two double beds.

Moderate rooms have a ceiling fan.
    Value rooms don't.

Moderate rooms have a fridge.
    Value rooms don't (or you'll pay $10/day to rent).

Moderate rooms have 2 sinks (except CSR's have 1).
    Value rooms have 1 sink.

Moderates have a pool slide and a hot tub.
    Values have neither.

Moderates provide pool towels at the main pool.
    Values do not provide any pool towels … you must use your room towels.

Moderates' bus stops are covered (think protection from rain and hot sun).
    Values' bus stops are not covered.

Moderates have lush landscaping.
    Values have more "hardscaping."

Moderates have a food court AND a table-service restaurant (except POFQ ... food court only).
    Values have only a food court.

Moderates have some sort of recreational activity (e.g., boat rentals, bike rentals).
    Values don't have that type of recreational activity.

At Moderates, the maximum room charge limit is $1,000.
    At Values, it's $500.

EXTRA CREDIT:

POFQ and POR have boat service to Downtown Disney.
    CSR has full room service, and a gym.
    Values are much more "kid-themed" and whimsical-looking than the Moderates.
    Last edited by CleveRocks; 06-01-2008 at 01:30 PM. Reason: stoopid typoes
    -- Eric

smith913 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaMouser View Post
    O.K. We have been to WDW 3 times and every time we have stayed in a value All Star resort. I have since wanted to try a moderate resort.

Here is the question. Is it really worth the extra $$$ to stay at the Mods? We have a family of 4 so the # of people is not an issue. We very rarely do much at our room except sleep and shower. I enjoy the theming at the AS resorts. I'm sure the theming is great at the Mods.

Please give me some pros and cons to help me make a decision for our next trip. Thanks for your help!
    Hi, ImaMouser (fellow Tennesseean)! Glad you posted this. I have wondered the same things. We are heading down in Oct. to Pop Century again! Let me know if you change to moderate and what you think!! These pros and cons are very helpful!
    Samantha

October 2005 - All Star Movies, October 2006 - Pop Century, October 2008 - Pop Century, October 2009 - Pop Century, October 2011 - Pop Century

ImaMouser is offline D-Ticket Holder
    These are great responses. Especially the DVC e-bay shopping.

I guess I need to decide if we want more amenities or more souvenirs. Believe it or not the covered bus stops are rather intriguing. Gets hot even in January.

If we decide to stay in a mod, which one and why?

Smith913, we also went to WDW in Oct 2005 and stayed at AS Sports. If you ever get the chance go in january. It's like you own the place. Small crowds, great weather. I will have a hard time going any other time of year.
    Last edited by ImaMouser; 06-01-2008 at 08:50 PM.
    Walt is the man, Mickey is the mouse but Minnie is THE WOMAN

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    French Quarter. Hands down. It is quaint and quiet and has a great pool.
    I love not having to hoof it 52 miles from my room to the bus stop. And the boat to DTD is great fun.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

monica31671 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Another vote for upgrading to a moderate.

The mods have a curtain that closes off the bathroom's "vanity" area for privacy while changing clothes. Values do not have this feature. It looks like all of the other upgrades have been covered.

We've been to all 4 mods and Port Orleans Riverside is my family's favorite. The resort grounds are beautiful even in winter. We enjoy the main pool area with the great slide and big spa (hot tub). I love Boatwright's sweet potato pancakes and my dad really likes to boat to DTD.

Families with younger children might enjoy POFQ better because the resort requires less walking and the pool theming is geared toward small children.

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder
    Probably worth it. I like CBR and POFQ a lot. I do not like the Values really. If money is an issue, then go with the Values. I just need a bed and I'm fine. If staying at a mod means a restriction elsewhere like blowing off a couple of good TS stops or no souveneirs or one less day of vacation, then, stay at the Value
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom