Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Wilderness lodge in the Vacation Planning forums; I may have a chance to stay at one of the deluxe resorts this October. I have thought about the Wilderness lodge, but heard the downside to staying there is ...
    Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Wilderness lodge

I may have a chance to stay at one of the deluxe resorts this October. I have thought about the Wilderness lodge, but heard the downside to staying there is that it far away from the parks, accept Magic Kingdom. Anyone stay there and what was your stay like?

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I love the Wilderness Lodge, the themeing is beautiful. It was great to go to the Magic Kingdom by boat, which you get right out in back of the resort and as far as the other parks, you can hop a bus, it really wasn't a problem at all
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    If you're staying on property you're never far from the parks. The space between them isn't quite as big as you'd think.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Stayed there last Thanksgiving and we had no problem getting around, The buses were very efficient. We would go to MK on the launches. We liked to go over to the Contemporary, monorail to TTC, to Epcot. It just seemed more fun.

I love the Wilderness Lodge and would go again tomorrow! It's my favorite!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    We stayed at the WL a few years ago. It's a lovely setting. The pool is beautiful. We never found that travel time was overly long.

Distance is all relative. If you are on property, it's definitely closer than anywhere else in town. I truly believe that people who have the most difficult time dealing with transportation are not commuters in their non-vacation lives, so any time on a bus seems to be agony. I treat riding the buses as part of the experience and am just glad that someone else it taking me where I need to go so I don't get lost and I don't have to use my gas to get there.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Any Resort that you stay at on property is in close vacinity to all the parks! WL is super easy to get the MK by boat and we even traveled to Epcot via boat and transfer to the monorail! It's a wonderful resort to stay at and you wouldn't be disappointed!

ryankcr is offline A-Ticket holder
    My husband and I have stayed there three times (the most recent was last September) and we can't imagine staying anywhere else. Transportation wasn't too much of a problem. We only had to wait for buses a few times. As the others above me have said, the boat ride to MK is great. That was our favorite way to travel.

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    I'll add my two cents as well. WL is wonderful! Very accessible for 4 four parks, relatively short bus wait times, and a beautiful place in and of itself. You'll really enjoy it, I'm sure of that!
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder
    It seems nice. I like the Whisperin Canyon Cafe. I had heard the bus system there is a tad complicated
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

MickeyspalJim is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    We stayed at the WL a few years ago. It's a lovely setting. The pool is beautiful. We never found that travel time was overly long.

Distance is all relative. If you are on property, it's definitely closer than anywhere else in town. I truly believe that people who have the most difficult time dealing with transportation are not commuters in their non-vacation lives, so any time on a bus seems to be agony. I treat riding the buses as part of the experience and am just glad that someone else it taking me where I need to go so I don't get lost and I don't have to use my gas to get there.
    Mini, I could not agree with You more. I too just make the bus ride as part of the adventure. Most times it is all in our heads that we are taking forever. When You are excited about something, 5 mins. seems to go by like an hour. We are staying at eh Wilderness Lodge Villas in November for the first time. Looking forward to watching the electric water pageant on the bay at night!
    11 Pre-DVC Trips to WDW 8-1978 through 12-2006.

Our DVC/Disney Resort trips have been:

Trip #1 (Jan 31-Feb 5-07) SSR. Studio.
    Trip #2 (May 1- 8-07) OKW. Studio.
    Trip #3 (June 26-July 1-07) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #4 (Sept 16-21-07) OKW. 1 & 2 Bdrm.
    Trip #5 (Nov 29-Dec 3-07) AKL.
    Trip #6 (Jan 26-Feb 2-08) AKL. Studio.
    Trip #7 (April 12-18-08) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #8 (May 23-27-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 9(May 27-30-08) OKW. Studio.
    Trip # 10(Sept 10-17-08) BWV. Studio
    Trip # 11 (Nov 15-21-08) VWL. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 12 (Dec 19-21-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 13(Feb 1-6-09) SSR. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 14(Feb 27-Mar 1-09) AKV Studio
    Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites
    Trip # 16(July 6th-10th-09)Pop Century
    Trip # 17(Sept 18th-24th-2009)Pop Century
    Trip #18(Oct 10th-16th 2009) ASR Music-1 nite, SSR Treehouses 5 nites
    Trip #19(Jan 20th-26th 2010) OKW-4 nites, Bch Club Studio Villa 2 nites
    Trip #20(Apr 23rd-26th 2010) Caribbean Beach Resort
    Trip #21(June 18th-25th 2010) POR 2 nites, SSR 2bdrm Villa 5 Nites.

I wasn't confused at all with the bus system. It is fairly easy to use and we had our four kids to bring with us. They even liked riding the bus...except when they were exhausted but who does then!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Echo Echo Echo
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

MickeyspalJim is offline Fastpass Holder
    My father in law is coming with Us in Nov. to the Wilderness lodge, and really would rather be at the Beach club. I feel bad, and hope that He will not feel like He is stuck in the middle of the woods here, and was hoping that they had some type of beach at WLV for him to go to during our week here.
    11 Pre-DVC Trips to WDW 8-1978 through 12-2006.

Our DVC/Disney Resort trips have been:

Trip #1 (Jan 31-Feb 5-07) SSR. Studio.
    Trip #2 (May 1- 8-07) OKW. Studio.
    Trip #3 (June 26-July 1-07) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #4 (Sept 16-21-07) OKW. 1 & 2 Bdrm.
    Trip #5 (Nov 29-Dec 3-07) AKL.
    Trip #6 (Jan 26-Feb 2-08) AKL. Studio.
    Trip #7 (April 12-18-08) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #8 (May 23-27-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 9(May 27-30-08) OKW. Studio.
    Trip # 10(Sept 10-17-08) BWV. Studio
    Trip # 11 (Nov 15-21-08) VWL. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 12 (Dec 19-21-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 13(Feb 1-6-09) SSR. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 14(Feb 27-Mar 1-09) AKV Studio
    Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites
    Trip # 16(July 6th-10th-09)Pop Century
    Trip # 17(Sept 18th-24th-2009)Pop Century
    Trip #18(Oct 10th-16th 2009) ASR Music-1 nite, SSR Treehouses 5 nites
    Trip #19(Jan 20th-26th 2010) OKW-4 nites, Bch Club Studio Villa 2 nites
    Trip #20(Apr 23rd-26th 2010) Caribbean Beach Resort
    Trip #21(June 18th-25th 2010) POR 2 nites, SSR 2bdrm Villa 5 Nites.

There is a beach by their marina rental area. There is a small playground (your FIL won't need that) but there are bike and surry rentals plus some boat craft I believe. There are lawn chairs available on that beach also. It is the opposite way from the geyser/launch path but very close to the resort.

eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I stay at the Lodge almost exclusively. The theming there is perhaps the best than any other resort hotel on property. I tell anyone who goes to WDW to get over there and check it out, its an attraction by itself.

I suggest a courtyard view room. The Lodge has one of the most beautifully themed pool area of any of the resorts, and you'll want to be able to see it. Late at night, you can hear the tranquil waterfall and the "piped in" cricket sounds. You might actually forget you're in Central Florida while staying there.

Some tips: When checking in, ask if you can be a "Flag Family" for the day. If available, you can go up to the roof and raise the American flag in the morning. The view from the roof is breathtaking too.

Request a room on a high floor so you can see the courtyard area better. Also, request one that isn't too far from the main building...the hallways can be looong!

Make a reservation for Whispering Canyon Cafe, it's a unique dining "experience"

Have fun!
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast