Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Pop Century or All-Star Movies? in the Vacation Planning forums; We have stayed at All-Star Movies 3 times before and it is my oldest Son's absolute favorite!! Unfortunately when I tried calling today it was not available for the dates ...

Pop Century or All-Star Movies?

We have stayed at All-Star Movies 3 times before and it is my oldest Son's absolute favorite!! Unfortunately when I tried calling today it was not available for the dates in June that we would like to go. The CM helped me secure the AP rate for the Pop Century which we have never stayed at. The CM suggested that if I have my heart set on staying at ASM to keep trying to call back and hopefully there will be a cancellation that I can pick up. My questions to those of you out there who have possibly stayed at both is which do you prefer and why. I know that Pop has it's own buses, but does it make that big of a difference? And if we do stay at Pop is there a good building to request that isn't considered a "preferred" site. It is not necessary to be by the pool, but we do like to be as close as possible to the food court and buses. Thanks anyone who helps!

flutter is offline Moderator
    Pop Century is cool I stayed there twice last year. They have 3 pool I like the foodcourt better and they do have their own buses.I also enjoyed the theming. Have fun wherever you end up staying

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    we are going in sept 2005 and are staying at POP i requested the 70's building which doesnt have a pool (pools open to midnight=toddler no sleep cause of noise) and is supposedly a decently close distance to the buses....have fun and check out the neat car parked behind the main hall

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    If you like the All-Stars then try Music. Many of the buildings have had total rehabs.

We will be staying at PC in November because the DW wants too. However, I would rather stay at ASMo.

That said, from what I have read PC has gotten mixed reviews. Yes, it is new and has lots to see, but it is also BIG, and the bus service is not as good as the All-Stars.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    Pop Century was nice we stayed in the 70's building by the corvette stingray and it was close to the pool and food court

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    We had a family trip this past October where we stayed in Pop Century. There were 19 of us. We had 5 rooms facing the lake (the yo yo building??). The parking was a bit far of a walk (for the 4 elders). Overall it was okay. Very busy since it's the newest hotel. I have stayed at AS sports, music, and movies. They are very similar. My favorite was this past June we stayed at PO FQ... NICE!!! Very quiet. We are going back this June for our honeymoon and we are staying in CBR. I've been there three times prior but it's the first time for my soon to be husband. I let him choose the hotel this year.

#1EeyoreFan is offline I love Eeyore! Disney Forever, and ever and ever etc.
    Pop and the All-Star Resorts are pretty much laid out the same way, the rooms and the grounds are the same, the only difference is that the statues are different cause the theme is different. The one thing I like about Pop is that it has it's own bus transportation, where the All-Star you sometimes share with Sports and Music. Pop takes you to and from with no other stops. I have always stayed at either Music or Movies, but last year we stayed at Pop and that is where I am staying again this year.
    DISNEY IS MY HAPPY PLACE THE ONLY TIME THAT I GET 2WKS OF HAPPINESS AND WORRY FREE TIME!!!!!! This time I will see it through the eyes of my baby girl born 2008.

Next Trip is December 2010

Can't wait!!!!!!

Jul- 85 - Poly- 1st Time ever Nov - 97 - Best Western
    Nov- 98- travel Lodge Nov- 99 - Music - Family Trip
    Oct- 00 - Music Nov- 01 - Movies
    Oct-02- Movies Dec- 03 - Movies
    Oct-04- Pop - Married Dec- 05- Pop
    Dec-06 - Pop Nov- 07- Pop

Rgjad is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I prefer Pop Century. The nostalgia standpoint is great. Check out all the shadow-boxes in the lobby. Memories will come flying back to you. I have stayed in the 50's buildings and the 90's buildings. The 90's is too far away. Try to request the 50's. We stayed poolside and I didn't hear any extra noise from it late at night. Hope you have a great time. (We'll be there May 18-22. YEA!!!)

Jitterjet is offline A-Ticket holder
    We've stayed at ASMu several times, and Pop during our last trip in January 05. Pop was very clean and very quiet, although I'm sure it can get noisier during the busier time of year. We were in the 50s building facing the lake, and could see and hear Illuminations from our balcony on the 3rd floor.
    I had heard how spread out Pop was, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the 50s and 70s buildings were only a couple minutes' walk to the buses and food court. It took longer to get to the parking lot than to the front of the main building to catch the bus. In fact, some of the rooms in the preferred 60s building were actually farther away than rooms in the 50s and 70s.
    The 50s buildings had huge Lady and the Tramp icons, and a nice bowling pin shaped pool. The 70s buildings don't have their own pool, but it's a very short walk to the Hippy Dippy Pool right behind the main building (I can't think of the name of that building right now).
    Half the fun of WDW is exploring all the fun things to do, and trying out a new resort is part of that fun. If you can't get a room in ASMo, go for Pop Century and enjoy it. Better yet, go ahead and reserve that Pop room!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I am going in October and staying at Pop. I requested the 50's building based on something I read. What is the parking like? I will have a car to drive around so I won't have to worry about the buses. Is there anything here that is a "must see?"

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    Check out Hourglass lake because you can see the turtles swimming there

Jitterjet is offline A-Ticket holder
    We always came back late from the parks and the parking lot was pretty full close to the 50's buildings, so we had a bit of a hike to get back to our room. If you request bldgs 1 or 2 in the 50's buildings, you'll be closer to the parking lot. We were in bldg 3 which was very quiet but farther away.

We enjoyed walking around the grounds through the various Pop buildings and taking pictures of the giant icons. There is a giant foosball team, Mickey phone, Big Wheel, lots of other fun stuff. You don't have to use the swimming pool closest to your building, you can walk over to the popular Hippy Dippy Pool between the 60's buildings. There is also a fountain play area with rubberized footing that kids love to run around in. A small playground is also located between the main building and the 70's(?) building. They will show you a map at check-in, or you can find one, along with pictures of the resort, at www.AllEArsNet.com. You can call WDW reservations ahead of time and request a certain building, or you can wait til you check in and request one, but it's better to do it ahead of time. They can't guarantee you'll get what you request, but we've always been lucky and our requests have been honored.

Bev

Rgjad is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs
    I am going in October and staying at Pop. I requested the 50's building based on something I read. What is the parking like? I will have a car to drive around so I won't have to worry about the buses. Is there anything here that is a "must see?"
    Take advantage of Disney buses. When we go we only use their transportation. Especially with the cost of gas right now. The 50's building was great. We stayed there last March. It's not too close or too far from the lobby. Make sure you check out the shadowboxes in the lobby. There are things in it that you'll see and say "I had one of those" It brought back alot of memories for me.