Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Wilderness Lodge - Review Me in the Vacation Planning forums; You can always tell when Jenn has her next trip booked... she starts posting all over the place with questions about whatever is new to her. LOL!! Ok so... January... ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Talking Wilderness Lodge - Review Me

You can always tell when Jenn has her next trip booked... she starts posting all over the place with questions about whatever is new to her. LOL!!

Ok so... January... Wilderness Lodge... 2 Bedroom Villa with my mom and step-father.... tell me your experiences at this resort. Why do you like it? What don't you like? Have you stayed in a Villa? How were they? How's the boat to the MK? Etc. etc.

Found this great site with info about the resorts but I want some real life reviews.

Disney's Wilderness Lodge Villas Disneyworld Orlando

So... hit me!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

LOVE the Wilderness Lodge Jenn! Haven't stayed in the Villas before, but love everything about the Resort! Taking the boat to the MK is the best! About 5-7 minutes from the time you pull away from the Wilderness dock you are pulling up right outside of the MK! That was one of our favorite parts of staying at the WL!

We also took the boat to the Contemporary and then transferred to the monorail to go to Epcot. It takes a little longer, but it was better than taking the bus or our own van we thought!

nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder
    I'm jealous your staying at my favorite resort!
    I love the seclusion that you get there, I always feel far away all the commotion of the parks and such.
    The two bedroom villa's are great, had everything we needed and more. I always felt that there was plenty of space even when there was four of us staying there.
    The entrance and lobby (if you can call it that, lol) are my most favorite of the resort.
    Now, if you happen to be put over in the DVC wing, they have their own lounge area as well. Very nice and quiet, relaxing with great views. And there is a game of checkers always there.
    The Whispering Canyon is a great place to eat and is very fun. Even if you don't have kids, it is fun to watch other peoples kids have fun while they race around the restaurant with the other cast members. Also, be sure to ask for catchup.
    The roaring fork is a great little quick service place. I got breakfast there plenty of times and would sit outside for the sunrise while ducks begged all around me. The pool is good as well, you may have a duck friend in the pool as well as they tend to like it there. The boat is great, which is why I like to stay there when we are going to MK. The boat ride is quick and great, and just has a total of three resort stops. And when you are coming back from MK after a long day, it's relaxing. Just don't let the boats motor lull you to sleep! With the resort not along the monorail line and put back in the woods a bit, It truly creates that feeling of not being where you are. I have never eaten at Artists Point, but I have been told of great food and service there. If you do eat there, let me know what you think!
    So far, I have never had a negative experience there and hope to never have one!
    Um, thats all I can think of at the moment...hope it helped!

DizPodDir is offline A-Ticket holder
    My wife and I bought into DVC at VWL in Jan 2002, the day after we go engaged. We love the place, and stayed there the most so far. We love the boat ride to MK, and the resort itself. We were renting points at OKW that trip, and our first trip as members was in Jan 2003

If you want to see photos of the one bedroom we stayed in Jan 2003 for our "honeymoon", you can go here:
    Mike and Kelly's Media Gallery

Honeymoon is in quotes as we got married in November and went to Williamsburg for a few days right after that. The Disney trip was the first planned honeymoon, we added the Williamburg trip close to the wedding when I found great owner's deal on a timeshare website for Marriott Vaction Club's Ford Manor.
    Mike

ryankcr is offline A-Ticket holder
    We have stayed there three times now and can't imagine staying anywhere else. My husband says it makes him feel like he's up in the mountains staying at a lodge instead of in the middle of Florida. With one minor exception on our last stay, the cast members can't be beat for their friendliness and helpfulness. We have only been in the main lodge itself but if the villas are anything like it, you won't be disappointed.
    These are a fewof our favorite things

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    This is my favorite hotel. I love the theming and the spacious feel to it. I wish we could go back everytime but I don't see that happening! Anyway, it is a great place and we love all of the restaurants there. Enjoy your trip!

TinkAttitude is offline grumpy too
    we stayed at the wilderness lodge from the time it was completed, through our dating phase, honeymooned there, brought our kids there, and then finally bought into the dvc at the villas. we've always stayed in a 2 bedroom with our 2 kids and 2 parents; total of 6. we visit disney once to twice per year every year and only stay there. everything said so far is right on. the villas have a far away and dare-i-say relaxing feel, but are only minutes away from the front gates of the magic kingdom. we would never stay anywhere else. i'll dig up some video of the 2 bedroom villa and then post it to youtube (search for tinkattitude to find it). we have a galley kitchen complete w/all appliances including dishwasher - this makes breakfast in the room very easy and convenient. living room, dining area w/table and chairs (high chair if needed). one master bedroom with jacuzzi tub and sink, with additional separate (right next to) room with another sink, toilet and standing shower. that bedroom has a king size bed. 2nd bedroom has full bathroom and 2 queen beds w/sitting table area. lots of windows, balcony, 3 tvs. i hope this helps!

oh! and i almost forgot to report that the wilderness lodge now has its own dedicated non-stop boat service to the magic kingdom!!! no more sharing with ft. wilderness. you are virtually guaranteed an even shorter travel time between the pier at wilderness lodge and the magic kingdom. i really hope this becomes a permanent change!
    Last edited by TinkAttitude; 07-03-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: video found and uploaded to youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTL9n5Xb_aY

Thanks so much for all the wonderful reviews so far! I am now more excited than I thought possible. My husband has decided he wants to be surprised when we arrive. He's never seen any pictures or video or anything about the Wilderness Lodge so he's going to wait until we pull up and walk in to see it.

Tink - gotta tell you, your video started and within 2 seconds of the front door opening I was tearing up. I'm so psyched.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

I heard mention of a flag raising thing at the lodge that we might be able to sign up for. Does anyone have more specifics on this?