Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Where to stay? in the Vacation Planning forums; My husband and I will be traveling to WDW in early December. When we have been to disney in the past, we have always stayed off site, in condos mostly ...
    crazyfordisney is offline A-Ticket holder

Where to stay?

My husband and I will be traveling to WDW in early December. When we have been to disney in the past, we have always stayed off site, in condos mostly because, having a family, we really needed a "home". Kitchen, living room, 2 bedrooms, etc. But, this time it will be just the 2 of us. Would love to stay on site and wanted to know your thoughts on which resort we should choose. Price-wise I'd like to stay "middle of the road". I tried the cheaper rooms at the Grand Floridian, Polynesian and Contemporary and they are all booked. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!! Thanks! I'm new to the site!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    welcome, Crazyfordisney!

You won't go wrong with any of the moderate resorts:
    Port Orleans: French Quarter is a popular choice for couples. It has a more sophisticated "city" feel to it, and has the advantage of being a smaller resort. Port Orleans: Riverside's Magnolia Bend section is similar in decor and also very lovely to walk around. Both Port Orleans resorts share a boat to Downtown Disney, which is a nice way to travel.

Caribbean Beach is getting a facelift, so that might not be the best choice at this moment. When the work is done, the rooms will all be renovated with "Finding Nemo" and Pirates themes.

Coronado Springs is very lovely, though it has a slightly different feel to it thanks to the convention center at the resort. I found it very quiet and pretty, especially the view from our water-view room in the Casitas. There seemed to be more business people and fewer kids in the building, but that may just have been perception.

The last option in the "moderate" category are the cabins at Fort Wilderness. They have kitchens and have more space than a regular hotel room. I haven't stayed there personally, so I can't comment further.

In the "Deluxe" category, Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge tend to be lower in cost than the Polynesian, GF, and Contemporary. Both lodges are stunning in architecture and are loaded with things to see and do, as well as some very nice dining. Animal Kingdom's savannah view rooms are a fabulous experience - waking up and seeing animals roaming right outside your balcony is pretty cool.

Happy planning!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Even though Wilderness Lodge is in the Deluxe catagory, it's in the lower price range of it. I love the themeing and the whole feel there. See if you can get a room with a inside courtyard view, this way you can see the pool and Bay Lake and the Electric Light Parade at night (you would have to be specific about that request). I think you should be able to get some decent rates at that time of year.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    You can also check out Boardwalk, Beach and Yacht Clubs for Deluxe possibilities. I haven't stayed there but they look wonderful and I hear the decorations are wonderful there.

We have loved both of the Port Orleans resorts and are going back to POFQ soon. Can't wait! Disneydame2004 has some great information concerning the other moderates.

Enjoy your trip!

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    I would recommend the "Value" resorts if you want to do economical plus they are really colorful and fun

crazyfordisney is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks everyone, for all the info...you have been very helpful. I think we might go the Port Orleans route. I wouldn't mind trying the value resorts...the price is def. right! But, I'm afraid there might be a lot of kids there. No offense, I love kids...have 2 myself, this is just a "grown up" trip!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfordisney View Post
    Thanks everyone, for all the info...you have been very helpful. I think we might go the Port Orleans route. I wouldn't mind trying the value resorts...the price is def. right! But, I'm afraid there might be a lot of kids there. No offense, I love kids...have 2 myself, this is just a "grown up" trip!
    At the risk of bursting your bubble... you're going to be hard pressed to stay on property at any resort in any price range and not be surrounded by children. Even the most expensive resorts are packed with children year round.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfordisney View Post

I would suggest either of the Port Orleans sites. Very quite and romantic even if children are around. On the last two alone time trips with DH, we have stayed at POR and POFQ.