Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Contemporary Resort in the Vacation Planning forums; Is the Contemporary Resort worth the extra money ($$$$$$$)? I know they have gone through renovations as I remember people complaining years ago that it was out getting out-dated and ...
    E39Chris525i is offline A-Ticket holder

Contemporary Resort

Is the Contemporary Resort worth the extra money ($$$$$$$)? I know they have gone through renovations as I remember people complaining years ago that it was out getting out-dated and needed upgrades. We wouldn't go for the Magic Kingdom room (might as well buy a private jet) but one of the "wing" buildings. I need input from people who have stayed at the Contemporary Resort and tell me your experiences and is it worth it. Thanks!

ghasty is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I have always enjoyed the contemporary but have never stayed in the tower (and or course the wing we usually stayed in is no longer there). The room (then) had not been updated but I thought still kewl. It's was an old-school 70's hotel so the room was bigger then most you will find on property these days. The kids enjoyed the pool alot (no real theming...but hey, you're on Bay Lake right?). You can't beat walking to Magic Kingdom either.

The only downside I have for the last time we stayed there was the "food court" was under constant change...it's prob alright now with all the movement but it was a bit crazy the one time I wanted to get a quick snack.

We've pretty much stayed atleast once at most of the resorts and my ranking for deluxes would be in this order (but just my opinion...and heavily biased towards magic kingdom)
    1. Poly
    2. Wilderness Lodge (yes, a moderate+ but I like it)
    3. Contemporary
    4. Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5. Boardwalk
    6. Yacht & Beach Club
    7. Grand Floridian
    ---
    Gary M. Hasty
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney

Thanks for the reply. When did you last visit the Contemporary resort? The Poly looks beautiful. However, the next time we want to go is during Super Bowl week (I just realized that Super Bowl 43 is Feb. 1st in Tampa) and Disney is going to be slammed the whole week. We might try going the week before or after.

It's been atleast 2 years since the last stay at the Contemporary. As for the Poly, I love it but regretably only stayed there once in 1976 when I was 8. I do always make it over to Kona Cafe for Tonga Toast tho...next trip we stay in a deluxe...I'm thinking it's gotta be Poly.

Yes, Superbowl in Tampa could make some things interesting in what's usually a "slow" time of the year.
    ---
    Gary M. Hasty

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by ghasty View Post
    We've pretty much stayed atleast once at most of the resorts and my ranking for deluxes would be in this order (but just my opinion...and heavily biased towards magic kingdom)
    1. Poly
    2. Wilderness Lodge (yes, a moderate+ but I like it)
    3. Contemporary
    4. Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5. Boardwalk
    6. Yacht & Beach Club
    7. Grand Floridian
    The Wilderness Lodge is a Deluxe Resort not a moderate. Just curious why you rank Grand Floridian last. That would be my families #1 followed by Poly.
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

Yes, some other podcast I listen to about "WDW Today" (to remain nameless <grin>) refers to the Wilderness Lodge as a moderate plus. I happen to think it's a very nice Deluxe hotel and like to stay there and take the boat over to MK.

Main reason I have Grand Floridian last is price. When I compare it to the others I think you get more for less at the other deluxes. Love the lobby at the Grand Floridian but that's about all. Just do not think for the price paid per night it beats out Yacht & Beach or Boardwalk for their convienence factor to parks. Again, just my opinion.
    ---
    Gary M. Hasty

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    We love the Contemporary! However, if you are going to stay in a Garden Wing room, it's just not the same as staying in the Tower. From the Tower rooms you can watch the EWP from your balcony (if you have a Lake view room) or the MK fireworks (if you have a MK view room). There's also something about seeing/hearing the Monorail whoosh by your room.

The redo of the rooms looks very nice, but we liked the old set-up better. I think the redo was aimed at business travelers at the convention center rather than families. The bathrooms have two huge sinks and no counter space or shelves. There is now less closet space than before. On the plus side, the LCD TV mounted on the wall is nicer than before as well as the refrigerator setup. The rooms are among the largest on Disney property - which is a plus if your party is four or five people. We never feel crowded while staying there.

As to someone questioning your designating the Wilderness Lodge as a Moderate +, I happen to agree. While the lobby area is beautiful and the restaurants are good, the rooms are what you would find at a Disney Moderate resort, both in size and decor. Animal Kingdom Lodge would also fall into this category if they didn't have the animals on the Savannah surrounding the resort, IMHO.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Quote Originally Posted by wdw4us2 View Post
    We love the Contemporary! However, if you are going to stay in a Garden Wing room, it's just not the same as staying in the Tower. From the Tower rooms you can watch the EWP from your balcony (if you have a Lake view room) or the MK fireworks (if you have a MK view room). There's also something about seeing/hearing the Monorail whoosh by your room.

I figured the garden wing would be more affordable. However, if its only like a $500-$700 difference than staying at the tower for 5-6 nights, than I might as well fork it over . My better 1/2 is getting a raise next week. I hope I get one from my jay oh bee (job) soon.

allie cat is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Interesting place, but not so sure its worth oodles of extra money. Neat shops and restaurants, monorail and view of the MK are nice, but I would frankly rather stay at a moderate or value and be able to afford to stay an extra day or two. The rooms are nice, but all Disney rooms are quite liveable, and you can always stay somewhere less expensive and still visit the deluxe resorts to eat and shop - especially the ones on the monorail loop. If I was spending my days in the hotel it might be different, but we primarily use the hotel as a place to sleep and maybe swim a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by allie cat View Post
    Interesting place, but not so sure its worth oodles of extra money. Neat shops and restaurants, monorail and view of the MK are nice, but I would frankly rather stay at a moderate or value and be able to afford to stay an extra day or two. The rooms are nice, but all Disney rooms are quite liveable, and you can always stay somewhere less expensive and still visit the deluxe resorts to eat and shop - especially the ones on the monorail loop. If I was spending my days in the hotel it might be different, but we primarily use the hotel as a place to sleep and maybe swim a day or two.
    I understand your point. I have always told myself that any Disney theme park takes one (1) full day to experience everything (if you get lucky) and as soon as you get back to your hotel room (whether it be a cheap 192 hotel or the Poly) you will crash into the bed. However, its been my dream to stay at the Contemporary for the past 26 years. Doing ballpark calculations, I would save about $1500 if I stayed at the All Star Sports Resort. I would save even more than that if I chose a $33/night 192 hotel. Everyday I go back and forth with this. All depends on income tax refunds .

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    If you've always wanted to stay there, than by all means do it.

I had been going to WDW since 1972 (when we moved to FL) and didn't even get to stay onsite or overnight until 1980 - and that was camping out at Ft. Wilderness! Every time I rode the Monorail through the Contemporary I'd think about how much I wanted to stay there.

I finally got my wish in 1998 when DH and I took our kids for our annual pre-Christmas visit. We had a lakeview room in the Tower and we loved it! Our kids were 7 (DD) and 4 (DS) at the time and I still remember how excited our DD was when she realized we were staying at the CR.

We have probably been back there about 5 times since and stayed in the garden wings as well as finally getting a MK view room last year.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

MouseRick is offline A-Ticket holder
    Personally, I have stayed at this property on two occassions. One time I was in the garden wings, and once in the main tower. However, the last time I was there, which was September, 2007, I was in the towers do to a free upgrade given to me at the time of check in.

I must say, the newly refurbished rooms were really plush, just very very nice. Interestingly enough, its the least expensive property on the Monorail, which was truly the reason I chose it. The monorail is truly convenient transportation to both MK as well as EPCOT.

The fact is, you will always be able to save significant amounts of money by staying at a Value Resort. I have traveled to WDW numerous times, and sometimes I am in the mood to save the money, and sometimes, I just want the luxury of a Deluxe property. In other words, sometimes, you just have to spend the money.

I am a huge believer in the fact that the quality of my accomodations adds to the overall quality of the vacation experience. Others simply feel that a room is just a room and you only spend so much time in there. However, the Deluxe resorts certainly offer improved amenities as well as more upscale dining.
    Last edited by MouseRick; 08-29-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.
    Last May we booked our annual WDW trip @ the Wilderness Lodge. To make a long story short, it did not have the "feel" of a deluxe resort, the room felt cramped and dark and our second morning I went to the front desk and asked to change resorts.

We prefer to stay near the MK and since there were no rooms available @ the Poly, we opted for the Contemporary. Immediately, upon our arrival I knew we had made the right choice. We stayed the remaining 6 nights in the garden wing ground floor room with a beautiful view of Bay Lake and a 100 foot walk to the pool. Every evening there are Disney movies showing on the beach which we could watch from our patio as well as the EWP shortly thereafter. The rooms are indeed some of the largest on WDW property, and even though there were substantial rennovations going on during our stay, we never really noticed.

I can't say enough good things about the Contemporary and I would rate it even with the Polynesian as my favorite WDW resort. I would reccomend it without hesitation