Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss On Disney property but not Disney resorts in the Vacation Planning forums; Has anyone ever stayed at any of these places? Can you compare them to staying at a Disney resort? Pros/cons? Thanks! Holiday Inn Maingate East ~ ($48/night, except for Sat ...
    aprilhendrix9 is offline B-Ticket Holder

On Disney property but not Disney resorts

Has anyone ever stayed at any of these places? Can you compare them to staying at a Disney resort? Pros/cons?

Thanks!

Holiday Inn Maingate East ~ ($48/night, except for Sat & Sun, then $55/night). Four minutes away from WDW main gate, free shuttle service to all parks, kids eat free, two swimming pools.

Seralago Hotel & Suites ~ ($46/night). Three miles from WDW main gate, free shuttle to all parks, two pools & jacuzzi, kids free breakfast.

Hawthorn Suites Resort ~ ($73/night). "305 seconds" from WDW main gate, "suites are 2.5 times the size of normal hotel room", free hot buffet breakfast for all guests, heated pool, free shuttle to all parks.

Best Western Inside Walt Disney World ~ ($62/night). Located on Disney property adjacent to Downtown Disney, free shuttle to all parks every 1/2 hour, three restaurants on site.
    This September!! . . . 2010-6 days-Animal Kingdom
    1994-1 day-Mgic Kingdom-Off Site
    1995-1 day-Magic Kingdom-Off Site
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    They all have great incentives going for them, but the one they don't is that it's not Disney. You can stay in a standard room at any of the Value Resorts for around that price and get SO much more out of your vacation. We stayed off property once (I think at one of those hotels you mentioned, but I can't think of the exact place off the top of my head at this moment) and once was more than enough. You don't get to take advantage of the transportation (the off site hotel transportation is not always the best), Extra Magic Hours, and the general Disney magic. I've heard that staying at the Swan and Dolphin isn't even the same because it's not Disney employees (or that used to be the case - maybe someone can clear that up).

It looks like the average price of a night at those above mentioned off-site hotels is about $60. For an extra $10-$15/night (or no more than $100/trip) will get you SO much more - more than that extra money per night will get you, in my opinion.

So, seeing as you've stayed stayed on property once, I can say with some amount of certainty that it just wouldn't be the same if you stay off property and you will may regret it (especially now with Disney's competitively-priced Value Resorts).

Hope this helps and have a great trip!!
    ~Ashleigh

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Have you looked into any of the Downtown Disney Hotels, they are usually giving out very good deals. Downtown Disney® Resort Area Hotels in Orlando, Florida
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

dolce20 is offline A-Ticket holder

Wink

I have stayed in Downtown Disney. The hotels here are unofficial Disney hotels - but officially ON Disney property. You get free transportation (in older model Disney buses) to each and every WDW park.

Last I stayed at the Hilton. That was November last year and it was absolutely terrific. I'm going to the Downtown Disney Hilton again in just 6 days! Cannot wait. Lots of dining options on site, a really nice pool, gym and MOST importantly, the only Downtown Disney hotel that honors "Extra Magic Hours" at the park - a big plus for me.

I've stayed a few times at the Buena Vista Palace. Although they push this as the luxury resort of Downtown, it's just as good as the Hilton. The Outback restaurant (no, not the chain) is always excellent and they have a big spa if you're in to that (I am).

Both the BV Palace and the Hilton are literally steps away from the Downtown Disney shopping marketplace. The Hilton is directly across from the Earl of Sandwich, the toy store, and the Empress Lily riverboat...okay, Fulton Crab House (but in my heart will always be the Empress Lily). I'm an old-school Disney girl!

On the DT bus to the parks, I've passed by the other DT hotels and they all look subpar to the Hilton and BV Palace. Just my 2 cents!

You really can score great deals at any of the hotels in this circle. You'd be crazy to pay full price - just check out Expedia, AAA discounts, Orbitz and the like.

Good luck!
    Jamie

33 years old...35 times to WDW...and counting..!

"We're really bad eggs, drink up me 'earties YO HO!"
    "Veggie veggie fruit fruit - cha cha cha!"
    "Kungaloosh!"