Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss New Disney Resort Suggestions in the Vacation Planning forums; The past 3 times I have been to WDW I have stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and the time before that was at All-Star Sports. My family and I ...
    s2brown is offline B-Ticket Holder

New Disney Resort Suggestions

The past 3 times I have been to WDW I have stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and the time before that was at All-Star Sports. My family and I will be going to WDW in June 2009 and I am wanting to stay somewhere new. I cannot decide if I want to stay at a value or moderate resort. I have heard nothing but good things about the POP Century resort. After staying at POFQ am I going to be disappointed with POP Century? Does anyone have any other suggestions based on personal experience?

I look forward to your comments.

Steve

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Pop Century is probably the best of the Values. But you're right, it's a step down from Port Orleans. A motel style entry, no closet doors, etc.

Would you consider offsite? I've seen Gaylord Palms as low as $99, it's not Disney, but it's very close and themed very well. Also Sheraton Vistana you can get a lot for about that price.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

I would prefer not to stay off-site as I really like the convenience of Disney transportation.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    We've always like CS. The place is beautiful.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

ftg09 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I have stayed in many different Disney World hotels, from value to delux, and I have never been dissapointed in any of them. It just depends on what you expect from your resort. If you plan on spending lots of time in the room, I would suggest a moderate resort, just because you would have a little more space. However, if you plan on going out and hitting the parks, your hotel room size becomes less of a factor. AllEars.net is a great website to look up any information or questions about Disney resorts, here is the link to resort fact sheets... Accommodations In and Around Walt Disney World and Orlando Florida

I went back and listened to podcast #21 where Lou talks about the Beach Club resort. It sounds fantastic! The only thing keeping me from staying at the Beach Club now is the cost. Is it worth it?

I will be traveling with my wife, 6 year and 1 year old daughters. With my youngest being so young, we plan on spending more time at the hotel so as not to overwelm her at the parks. So maybe I should spend a little more money and stay at a nicer resort.

I am so confused now!

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    I agree a lot with what ftg09 says - Allears.net is a FANTASTIC source to get tons of reviews about all the resorts. I have also stayed in many different deluxe and value resorts (not as many moderates though) and here are the biggest things you may want to consider before you make your decision:
    1) There is only one sink to get ready at at a Values and two at the Deluxes.

2) The beds are a little smaller at the Values than at the Deluxes. I haven't had to share a bed at a Value resort yet, but if I had to, I would probably be a little uncomfortable but it's definately do-able.

3) I don't find the sizes of the rooms too much different. The deluxe rooms are a little bigger I guess, but not enough to really "wow" you. The addition of the balcony adds a little more space to the room, but like I said, nothing too significant.

4) A Deluxe resort like the Beach Club is great because it's within walking distance to two parks: Epcot and DHS (although you would probably want to take the boat to DHS with a 1 and 6 year old). I've actually never stayed at the Beach Club, but I have stayed across the lake at the Boardwalk several times. It's great for after you watch Illuminations because it is so much easier and faster to take the short walk back to your resort than to walk all the way to the busses (from World Showcase Lagoon to your resort is about the same distance or shorter than the distance between World Showcase Lagoon and the busses). It's also easier after Fantasmic! at DHS for the same reasons, except you would be taking the boat.

5) I find the Value resorts much more family-oriented than the Deluxe resorts. There are always activities and events going on for the kids at the Values and where the Deluxes are a little more "stately," for lack of a better word.

6) And of course, you really can't argue with the prices at the Values...

Hope this helps and have a great vacation!!!
    ~Ashleigh

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    You've gotten a lot of great answers here but here are my two cents as well...

The value resorts rooms' are a bit smaller than the moderate. If you like the be able to sprawl at bit in your room, you might find it difficult at a value resort. Note, this is coming from someone who loves the value resorts.

Ultimately any recommendations may be based on reasons different than those that would impact you. For instance, someone who loves to spend time relaxing at their resort might recommend a deluxe or one of the nicer moderates. Someone like me however, who really just uses the resort as a place to sleep and shower, may recommend chosing a value resort.

I've stayed at POP and loved it. I would say if you're honestly torn between POP and a moderate like Caribbean Beach Resort, go with POP. It's a big money saver and really not all that different, except for a few square feet.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'd say that if you're going to spend most of your time in the parks, go ahea and stay at POP and see how you like a Value Resort.

If you want to spend some down time or pool time at your resort in addition to the parks, I would look towards another moderate (though I personally think Riverside and French Quarter are the best moderates) or look towards one of the cheaper deluxe resorts (AKL and WL are the cheapest) if money is tighter or you're not sure if the you will like the deluxe resorts.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

Thank you all for the great advice. I am now thinking about spending our time down there between 2 resorts. We would stay at POP Century the first half of our trip and a deluxe resort the last half of our trip.

I think I have changed my mind again and stay where I usually stay...at POFQ. My wife asked me why I want to change hotels since we love it there so much.

TiNkErBeLL87 is offline A-Ticket holder
    We stayed at Beach Club this past summer, and if you are planning on spending a lot of time at your hotel I think it's a great choice, especially with young kids. Everyday in the afternoon (I can't remember what time) they had a pool party with activities for kids, and there was usually other activities going on every day. Every night there was a movie on the beach (Disney of course) and there's also the character breakfast at Cape May in the hotel. I don't think this hotel felt stuffy like a lot of the deluxes do, and there were kids everywhere here. The walk to Epcot is ridiculously close, I didn't think it was that close until I actually saw it. If the price work for you, especially if you would do half and half, I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TiNkErBeLL87 View Post
    We stayed at Beach Club this past summer, and if you are planning on spending a lot of time at your hotel I think it's a great choice, especially with young kids. Everyday in the afternoon (I can't remember what time) they had a pool party with activities for kids, and there was usually other activities going on every day. Every night there was a movie on the beach (Disney of course) and there's also the character breakfast at Cape May in the hotel. I don't think this hotel felt stuffy like a lot of the deluxes do, and there were kids everywhere here. The walk to Epcot is ridiculously close, I didn't think it was that close until I actually saw it. If the price work for you, especially if you would do half and half, I say go for it.
    Can't agree with you more. I'm staying at the BCV right now. Location is the best!
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    Why noy rent DVC points?? I stayed at SS in May for a 5 nights for 400.00. Right now I have a reservation at OKW in Jan 09 for 280.00 for 5 nights. With the way the economy is right now, you can finds deals like these. Just make sure to keep looking for the right person that has alot points willing to rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmntrans View Post
    Why noy rent DVC points?? I stayed at SS in May for a 5 nights for 400.00. Right now I have a reservation at OKW in Jan 09 for 280.00 for 5 nights. With the way the economy is right now, you can finds deals like these. Just make sure to keep looking for the right person that has alot points willing to rent.
    We did this. Found a guy on Ebay. Now we just go through him direct. Saves us at least half of what going direct through Disney would cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast