Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss WL And AKL Getting A Status Change? in the Vacation Planning forums; I just heard (from a reliable source) that Disney is thinking about lowering the status of Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge, from deluxe resorts to moderate resorts. The reason ...
    redheadbrown is offline Annual Passholder

Exclamation WL And AKL Getting A Status Change?

I just heard (from a reliable source) that Disney is thinking about lowering the status of Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge, from deluxe resorts to moderate resorts. The reason they are giving for this is that they are cosidered to be "Rustic". I don't know how they could be moderate resorts, when they are so BIG and have such great features as large lobbies and great resteraunts. The nice thing about their status being lowered, is the cost of the rooms will be cheaper.
    -Zac

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    That is great news if it is true.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

DVC Mike is offline C-Ticket Holder
    That rumor doesn't ring true to me.

They did just put the Fort Wilderness cabins into the Moderate category, however.
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: BLT, BWV, BCV and VGC

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    If they did I would be ecstatic! I always wanted to go there but we could never afford it!
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

InStitches is offline Fastpass Holder
    Georgia, but wishing I were on the "Loveliest Village on the Plains!"
    I'm curious though. Would they lower the price to match the other moderate resorts or keep the same price and change the rate that would be considered moderate?

BarnicleBaron is offline A-Ticket holder
    I remember them switching the Fort Wilderness Cabins to a moderate and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the price stayed the same.
    Jen

"Can you stand on your head?"

D23 Charter Member

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnicleBaron View Post
    I remember them switching the Fort Wilderness Cabins to a moderate and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the price stayed the same.
    I believe you are right Baron. They can change the category for these all they want but until they change the prices, they are outta my league. Shame too because my family would love to stay at AKL
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

BarnicleBaron is offline A-Ticket holder
    Oh me too - it looks like a beautiful resort! But you're right, it will have to be a very special occasion for us to stay there (and quite a few years of saving!) I hope they decide to surprise us and lower the price, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
    Jen

"Can you stand on your head?"

D23 Charter Member

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnicleBaron View Post
    Oh me too - it looks like a beautiful resort! But you're right, it will have to be a very special occasion for us to stay there (and quite a few years of saving!) I hope they decide to surprise us and lower the price, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
    We stayed at AK the month it opened. Standard floor. Aside from a small balcony the room itself nearly mirrored POR in both size and amenities. The lobby was beautiful, yet we didn't hang there much, really not at all. The restaurant was fabulous, yet we only ate there once that trip. The gift shop was smaller than POR. For the money I so prefer the Poly or BC. I am always thrilled with POR. The grounds are so pretty.

Now the AK DVC are a horse of a different color. Normal hotel room, not so much.

SuzyQ is offline C-Ticket Holder
    It is true that the cabins did change to teh "moderate" category, but it is also true that the price stayed the same. The key, though, is that sometimes there are some terrific deals to be had for the cabins - albeit AAA rates, AP or promotions such as the current October Room Only promotin. So, if you are thinking about checking them out, just keep your eyes open. The cabins are really neat (and the whole area is so festive during the holidays).
    Suzy
    suzy@mousefantravel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    I just don't see how this could be true.

The DVC, as part of their marketing, sells the memberships on you getting Deluxe accommodations at a cheaper price because you are pre-purchasing tomorrow's accommodations at today's dollars.

Considering Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge are both a combination resort and DVC resort, they couldn't be making this statement if the DVC resorts were housed on the same property as a moderate resort.
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    This seems like something Disney may be doing in response to the poor economy; if people think they're getting a deal, they will be more likely to take advantage of it. Didn't they do a lot of stuff like this for a year or two after 9/11?
    ~Ashleigh

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spodie View Post
    This seems like something Disney may be doing in response to the poor economy; if people think they're getting a deal, they will be more likely to take advantage of it. Didn't they do a lot of stuff like this for a year or two after 9/11?
    Yeah but I think this is kinda underhanded. The economy is in a downturn so why not help out the American Family and encourage them to come on down? Instead we get status changes for resorts with no price decreases and premium charges to Character Meals during holiday/peak times. I'm finding it harder and harder to defend DIsney for these decisions when my friends attack them for their prices.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    My thoughts... regardless of economy, I don't see AKL and WL being "downgraded". The biggest reason, which was mentioned previously, is that they are DVC resorts. I could see a Deluxe resort that didn't have any DVC suites being moved to the moderate category but not these two. I honestly believe the rumor you heard was around the Cabins and even then, their move to moderate didn't change their price (which I still just don't get).
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    I've stayed at both the AKL and WL, though enjoyed the AKL much better. Though the current economy won't stop us from staying at another deluxe resort, it would definitely be easier on the budget if they were moderate.

However, I don't know if I see it happening. Both the resorts have lots of "activities" (story telling, animal watching, pool games, ect). have great ambience and great restaurants. They have all the amenities of a deluxe resort, they just have a little bit of themeing. I personally like the idea of being "rustic" without roughing it. Not sure the hotels being "rustic" would realy justify the step down in category.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast