Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Coin toss: Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs in the Vacation Planning forums; Here's the deal. My daughter and I have started a tradition of going to WDW in September. At least we've done it 2 years in a row now thanks to ...
    marker is offline C-Ticket Holder

Cool Coin toss: Caribbean Beach or Coronado Springs

Here's the deal. My daughter and I have started a tradition of going to WDW in September. At least we've done it 2 years in a row now thanks to free dining. We booked for next year's September free dining trip before we left from this years September trip. Currently we have Pop Century booked again for the week of September 20-27.

But now, we're thinking of upgrading to a Moderate. She has narrowed it down to either CBR or CSR. Of the moderates, I have never been to CSR. I did once stay at CBR but it was a short 2 night stat that honestly I barely remember. I'm happy with either choice. If we choose CSR I could complete my goal of having stayed at all of the moderates (as well as all of the values), but since it was such a short stay at CBR, I'd enjoy a longer stay there to be able to soak it in a little.

So, I'm not looking for others to make my choice for us. but I'd be open to hearing thoughts and ideas about why we might want to choose one over the other. So what do y'all think?
    Marker from MO
    ~ Unemployeed software developer looking for next opportunity
    ~ For more info see my home page
    ~ Friend of IASW's Happy Little Dolls (but don't hold that against me)

02/83 off site -- 11/83 off site -- 12/85 DLR --
    07/97 DL -- 08/00 ASMo -- 04/02 CBR --
    05/03 POFQ -- 06/04 DLR -- 07/06 Pop --
    03/07 POR -- 09/07 ASMu -- 04/08 ASSp --
    09/08 Pop -- 09/09 CSR -- 04/10 POR --
    05/10 SSR -- 10/10 CSR
    Next - 12/10 -2 nights SSR, 2 nights VBR (Vero Beach Resort)

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    You won't go wrong whichever way the coin lands

Coronado Springs has been upgrading their rooms to queen size beds. They have been upgrading their services to cater more to the convention guests. There are three distinctly different areas to stay in (Ranchos, Casitas, and Cabanas), much like Port Orleans: Riverside has the Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend sections - completely different in architecture and style.

Caribbean Beach just redid the feature pool and is getting Nemo and Pirate themed rooms. Not quite sure how Nemo rode the EAC all the way to the Caribbean, but the concept art/early photos of the rooms look nice. The rooms are the largest of all the moderate resorts.

Happy Planning!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

nospinguy is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hello,
    As Pat said, both are fine and there isn't a wrong or bad choice. I have stayed at both, most recently Coronado, and was very pleased with it. The food selections here are nice and, since it is a "business resort," meaning it is the only on-property resort that caters to business conventions, the pool, which is nice, didn't seem as crowded as others, nor did the buses. I was there for the busiest week of the year, too, so I think that is a good indication of things. We never had to wait for a bus; meaning, we never had a bus come that filled up before we could board.

Of course, if you're like me, you won't be in the room much except to sleep, so conveniences like these can be a great help! Have a great trip.
    Come see me at www.wdwblog.com!

Most Recent Trip:
    3/7 - 3/15 '09

Ayhab is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Ive stayed at Coronado Springs 3 times in a row. It's awesome, especially the food!
    Ayhab the Arab
    It's amazing to think that this all started with one little mouse.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by nospinguy View Post
    since it is a "business resort," meaning it is the only on-property resort that caters to business conventions
    Actually, there are convention facilities at the Contemporary, The Yacht & Beach Club, Swan & Dolphin, and even Boardwalk & Grand Floridian. But Coronado Springs is the only moderate-level resort with a convention center.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Dale-not-Chip is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Apart from the theming.Which is completely a personal choice.

You have to take into account the fact that the CSR is geared for convention. What does that mean if your not a business traveler.

At a "business" hotel everything tends to cost a bit more. A business traveler tends to have the Room paid for by he convention, or business so paying a little extra down at the bar, restaurant, of for amenities is not that big of a deal. After all they didn't pay for the room.

If you don't have plans on using them that often it's not a big deal for you. But if you are going to be eating at the food court or restaurant be prepared for a higher price than the CBR.

If you are just planning on using it as a room to crash and maybe a pool visit now and then it would be a great choice.

It really should go by how you vacation, and don't let the coin decide.

marker is offline C-Ticket Holder

Cool

It's been decided.......

... we have officially changed our reservation to Coronado Springs Resort.
    Marker from MO
    ~ Unemployeed software developer looking for next opportunity
    ~ For more info see my home page
    ~ Friend of IASW's Happy Little Dolls (but don't hold that against me)

02/83 off site -- 11/83 off site -- 12/85 DLR --
    07/97 DL -- 08/00 ASMo -- 04/02 CBR --
    05/03 POFQ -- 06/04 DLR -- 07/06 Pop --
    03/07 POR -- 09/07 ASMu -- 04/08 ASSp --
    09/08 Pop -- 09/09 CSR -- 04/10 POR --
    05/10 SSR -- 10/10 CSR
    Next - 12/10 -2 nights SSR, 2 nights VBR (Vero Beach Resort)

nospinguy is offline A-Ticket holder
    Great - I think you made the right call. Here's to hoping the year flies by!
    Come see me at www.wdwblog.com!

Most Recent Trip:
    3/7 - 3/15 '09

TiNkErBeLL87 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I think you made a great decision, I stayed there in 2001 and loved it, especially the food court.

3IAlienKid is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Good choice. I've stayed at both. I love Caribbean Beach, but I love Coronado more, especially the Casitas section.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'll take the CBR
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I love CSR. I'd stay there again... I have stayed at CBR but didn't like it as much. Hope you have a wonderful stay at CSR!
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thought I'd give my 2 cents worth,
    We stayed at CBR a few years back and as far as the accomm is concerned,it wasn't much better than a value resort.The rooms were just a little bigger,but not much.The grounds were excellent though.We loved the pool and the beach area by our rooms with the hammocks to lay in.We could even hear Kool and the Gang playing at Epcot for the food and wine fest.
    But the down side:we did not like the food court at all.The choices were not as plentiful as POP and the arcade was glum.No games for my girls to play and win tix for those "cheap" prizes!We actually ate every night ate POP except when we were in the parks and played in POP's arcade.Plus,waiting for the bus was like finding water in the Sahara.It took forever to get there,and then it had to go all the way around the gigantic loop of buildings to pick up everyone before it ever left the resort property and headed to the park of choice.I didn't like the bus setup at all.That system there can DEFINITELY be improved.

So was the little bit of good things worth the extra money than POP,not hardly.We've stayed in all of the value resorts and POP is by far the best.I guess I am a money miser,but when it comes to spending a lot of money for an "uppity" room,I'll just stay at POP.
    Thank you,Thank you very much.
    Park Hopper Dad!