Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Cabin Questions in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi! If anyone has stayed in the cabins before: 1) is there a DVD player? The all ears fact sheet lists a VHS player, but just checking to see... 2) ...
    PlutoGirl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Cabin Questions

Hi! If anyone has stayed in the cabins before:

1) is there a DVD player? The all ears fact sheet lists a VHS player, but just checking to see...

2) All ears suggests bringing bug spray...do you think this is needed in January? (the bugs up north in Indiana are pretty much gone this time of year, not sure how big an issue they are down south in January).

3) Are the pathways from buses to cabins lit at night or should we take a flashlight in our bag when going to the parks each day?

Just trying to get things packed. Thanks!

Jennifer
    Disney Lover and Mom of 2 little guys (ages 4 and 2)
    Royal Plaza '84, P.O Fr. Qtr '93, Off-site Honeymoon 2003, Off-site 2007(first visit for boys), CR/FW Cabin January 2009, planning FW Cabin May 2010 now...

smith913 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Hey, Jennifer!
    I am hoping to this post for you. I, too, am researching the cabins and would love any info! Keep me posted when you return. I have only stayed in the value resorts; love to camp, so that area looks appealing!! Have a wonderful trip! Let me know how the transportation to the parks is!!
    Samantha

October 2005 - All Star Movies, October 2006 - Pop Century, October 2008 - Pop Century, October 2009 - Pop Century, October 2011 - Pop Century

DivaOstrich is offline A-Ticket holder
    My family and I stayed in the cabins for a week Oct. of 07' and loved it! To be honest I can't remember if there was a DVD player or not. I'm sure a quick call to the front desk (you can find the number on allears to do this from home) would answer the question.

The pathways are lighted, so I wouldn't worry about a flashlight. I don't remember a single bug bite or sight of a biting bug and that was Oct. Disney does a really good job at pest control, but I'm not sure if Jan. is any different than Oct. in that respect.

The transportation didn't impress me here. You have to take an internal bus either to the boat marina where the boats (love the boats!!!!!) take you to MK, Contemporary, or Wilderness Lodge. You also have to take an internal bus to get to the front of Fort Wilderness where the busses to the other parks/DTD arrive.

I would plan about 45 to an hour to get to and from the parks. We have young children and took a midday break so this did take quite a big chunk out of our day. It didn't bother my DH and all...he loved having someone drive him around, but I like to be on the go...not waiting .

The other thing I should mention about the bus was they shared the park busses with Wilderness Lodge at the end of the evenings, so that was an extra stop...about 10 extra min. added on at the end of the day when you tired and have pooped out little ones.

I am not trying to be negative! Fort Wilderness and the cabins are my very favorite accomodations and my girls keep asking to stay at 'the cabin' again on our next trip. I will rent a car next time though to avoid the busses, unless I hear they are doing better with this aspect.

You are going to love the cabins and Fort Wilderness! It is so beautiful, CM's are friendly, and it is so relaxing! I like the fact that you can de-stimulate here after all of the busyness of the parks. A great way to relax here is lay in a hammock on the beach!! They had bulldozer sand toys on the beach and my kids played with those while DH and I lounged in a hammock. One of my best memories!

Enjoy!
    Missy , Alaskan Momma to Dd (7), and Dd (4), DH stands our Disney ways

Thanks Guys! we actually stayed there last month when we went.

They do have a DVD/VCR combo unit in the cabins.

For the record we LOVED It! We had a cabin right by a bus stop which was perfect since we had 2 guys in strollers to get on/off the bus with. Since January is much slower than some times of year the bus situation was not bad at all. Truthfully, I'd take the bus and let someone else mess with driving any day of the week.

I'm pretty sure we'll be staying at the cabins on most of our future trips...we loved it A LOT! Especially having the kids able to "cut loose" in our cabin and not disturb other guests. It really let them blow off steam and the setting is so relaxing and friendly!!!
    Royal Plaza '84, P.O Fr. Qtr '93, Off-site Honeymoon 2003, Off-site 2007(first visit for boys), CR/FW Cabin January 2009, planning FW Cabin May 2010 now...

aprilhendrix9 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Just out of curiosity:

1. Did they have a full kitchen?

2. Was there a fire pit or somewhere to sit outside?

3. BBQ grill?

4. How far away from the pool are the cabins?

5. How far away from snack bar, etc?
    This September!! . . . 2010-6 days-Animal Kingdom
    1994-1 day-Mgic Kingdom-Off Site
    1995-1 day-Magic Kingdom-Off Site
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    Yes, the cabins do have full kitchens. There was a stove/oven as well as a microwave and refrigerator. There might have also been a dish washer (don't remember for sure) and there was storage space for dishes and utensils.

You will have a porch pretty much right outside your cabin door. There's a picnic table on the porch as well as a bbq grill. The bbq grill was pretty nasty (grill grease from past meals that the users had not cleaned up) at the cabin we stayed in though, so I'd definitely make sure you bring some supplies to clean it with before cooking on it.

How far your cabin is away from things will depend in part to the location of your cabin. Ours wasn't too far away from a pool, but it was pretty cold when we went so we didn't pay much attention to the pool. All the restaurants/shops/snacks are at the lake-side of the resort. To get here you'll either be in line for a very long walk, renting a golf cart, or taking Disney Transportation to the like-side area of the campground.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

one note on the location of the cabins to throw in. We were pretty far away from the pool (but it was January so we weren't planning to swim).

We were actually pretty close to the Meadows Trading Post which is the general store/snack place in the middle of the resort. Even though I never saw it advertised, you can use snack credits there from the dining plan. It was only a 5-10 minute walk from our cabin so not too bad. That is also where the campfire/movie spot is at the end of the night so we walked over for that too. (It is also where your packages that you have sent to the resort from the parks arrive).

I agree that the Settlement Outpost is way way too far to walk, but if you just want a snack or the evening campfire, Meadows is great. In my opinion the Meadows Trading post had more selection overall than the Settlement Trading post as well.

disneynorth is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Cabin Questions

Hey folks! Instead of starting a new thread I wanted to bump this post to ask new questions...

We are considering staying here this coming fall. We will be a group of five (3 adults and 2 kids). Would we be comfortable in a cabin or would it be pretty cramped?

I'm reading so-so things about the internal bus system. Can someone explain the system and what the issues are?

Thanks!