Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Poly vs. Wilderness Lodge in the Vacation Planning forums; So... I guess i'm dreaming again, but I'd really like to stay in a deluxe resort on my next trip to Disney. I REALLY like the Idea of the Polynesian, ...
    Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

Poly vs. Wilderness Lodge

So... I guess i'm dreaming again, but I'd really like to stay in a deluxe resort on my next trip to Disney. I REALLY like the Idea of the Polynesian, But then again, I also REALLY like the idea of the Wilderness Lodge. Which is better? Are he boats as convenient as the monorails? Are these resorts ones with the standing room only buses? Should I choose a totally different resort like the beach club?

Thanks in advance!

~Disney2000
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

aprilhendrix9 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I probably won't be of much help because I can't compare the two but I can tell you about our experience last year at the Polynesian.

The convenience of the monorail was fantastic but I wouldn't say the actual Polynesian, itself, was over-the-top or memorable. It certainly was themed out but once we got in our room, it was just another hotel room. The volcano is pretty cool but I wouldn't say the pool is spectacular. If you go out on the beach at night, though, you can watch the fireworks at Magic Kingdom which was a really neat thing to do.

I thought the convenience of the monorail was fantastic. Since the Polynesian has a stop in it, it was so easy to go from the hotel/to the parks/back anytime during the day. There was virtually little or no wait and we were almost always guaranteed a seat. Not to mention the fact that the monorails are air conditioned.

The biggest "hassle" was riding the bus to Animal Kingdom/Downtown Disney/Hollywood Studios. These buses did have some seats but most of the time we were left standing with a 4 year old, 1 year old and a stroller. The buses are air conditioned, so that's good, but we had to wait at the stops for a couple of buses to come through because they were full.

Overall, though, I would say that the buses were a very small inconvenience in an otherwise fantastic stay.

Really, for me, the only reason I will book at the Polynesian again is the monorail--which just may be worth it. Sorry for all of the double-talk
    Last edited by aprilhendrix9; 02-20-2009 at 12:54 PM.
    This September!! . . . 2010-6 days-Animal Kingdom
    1994-1 day-Mgic Kingdom-Off Site
    1995-1 day-Magic Kingdom-Off Site
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

wdwfns2 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I can only give the other half of April's comparison. I LOVE the Wilderness Lodge. You really feel out in the wilderness and away from all the hustle and bustle of everything around the parks. There is a boat launch to the Contemporary and the Magic Kingdom. There is a stop at Fort Wilderness, but seeing as our stop was first we never had a problem getting a seat. I can't really comment on the busses because we drove to all the other parks, but I believe they share a bus only with the Villas which are next door. There is volleyball, bike and boat rentals available. Also, the imagineers "built in" around 20 "hidden Mickeys" and a hint guide is available for you to do a hidden Mickey hunt with your family. It is priced a little cheaper than Poly and you can't watch MK's fireworks from your room, but you can still see the water parade every night at 9:30. I highly recommend this hotel. plenty of bang for your buck and there are good discounts available for an annual passholder.
    Day 1 WDW Radio
    Keep to the code

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder
    This is close but I will go with a slight edge to the Poly. The monorails are more convienent for certain. Plus, the monorail can take you to Epcot. The food is a touch better, you can get dole whips at the Poly.
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Go Ask Alice is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Definitely go to the Polynesian. The scenery is beautiful, and if you're hanging out in your hotel room and you get a sudden craving to ride Winnie the Pooh, hop on the Monorail and you are there! The pool is nice, and the beaches are fun.

Wilderness lodge is less exciting.
    Not going to Disney World any time soon...

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    I've stayed at both and though neither one are on my list of favorite resorts, I liked the Polynesian better.

Granted we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge before it was refurbished some years ago. We were majorly disappointed because the rest of the hotel (especially the rooms) just didn't live up to the rusticness that we were expecting from seeing the lobby so many times. If you want rustic without roughing it, the Wilderness Cabins are a much better experience. However, seeing pictures of the resort after the refurbishment it looks like it has improved in its room theming, so I'd be willing to give this one a go again despite a less than spectacular first impression.

The Polynesian was a victim of my getting hurt (broken ankle) just a few weeks before the trip and being stuck in a wheelchair with a cast on my foot. I couldn't utalize the pool and we didn't get the room we requested prior to check in since I was now in a wheelchair and that room was on the third floor. (Completely understandable). I did enjoy the Polynesian, but I couldn't take all the enjoyments of the resort in on my visit. I couldn't participate in the hula lessons, go in the pool, or even go out on the beach because the wheelchair would get stuck in the sand. I'd like to try the Polynesian again now that I can walk again. I think if I'd been able to participate more in the activities around the resort the Polynesian might have made it to my favorites list.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

We have stayed at and love both of them. It's really hard to compare the two.

Obviously....the Poly being on the monorail loop is a big bonus, but it was also very quick and easy to hop on the boat from the WL to take that to the MK or even take a boat to the Contemporary to hop on the monorail from there.

My favorite thing about the Wilderness Lodge is that you truly feel like you are in the Wilderness, yet you are only a few minutes from all the magic! I would have to say that since having children that our favorite deluxe to stay at would be the WL.

kellpooh is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I have only stayed at the Wilderness Lodge, and I loved it. It's tied with AKL as my favorite. I think it's beautiful and majestic. I didn't have a problem with buses at all. The boats ran slow one night. Never experienced standing room only buses, in October. October has become very busy with Food and Wine and NSSHP going at the same times. We will be staying at the Poly next year for our honeymoon though...
    kellpooh

Hi-Q 1979
    Off Site 1986
    Off Site 1994
    Off Site 1998
    All Star Sports July 2001
    All Star Movies Jan. 2002
    All Star Sports Oct 2003
    Wilderness Lodge Oct 2004
    Animal Kingdom Lodge Oct 2005
    All Star Sports April 2009

"Officially" Engaged by Cinderella's Castle 2009
    Wedding Pavilion for our Ceremony 2/27/10
    Grand Floridian for the Reception
    Polynesian for our Honeymoon

princesslb is offline A-Ticket holder
    i cant describe my vacation at the poly without saying how amazing it was. the location, beach, pool, restaurants, monorail... my trip was perfect! and i am not sure if there are different types of rooms but my room was amazing and you could tell what hotel you were at when you were in your room. it definitely looked nicer then your average hotel... plus we had castle view
    "all my wishes will come true."
    CP alumni spring 2008

Sometimes when you're at the Polynesian you just want to break out in a hula dance.

M5ward is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I think a lot depends on whether you have kids or not. Back in the day, we stayed at the Contemporary because of its proximity to Magic Kingdom. Now that our children are grown, we love the Boardwalk because we can walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, and there is a lot of adult entertainment. Sometimes we also like the quiet of Saratoga Springs or Old Key West. As DVC members, we have our choice depending on the time of year (and which of our children just NEEDS to take their family on our vacation).
    Michele
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on until Morning!
    šoš * ~ ** ~ * šoš

November, 1981 (CR), November, 1983 (CR), December, 1994 (off-site),January, 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), January, 2007 (SSR), November, 2007 (SSR), February. 2008 (BWV), October, 2008 (OKW), January, 2009 (BWV)

Grumpy is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Poly for the cabanas on the beach

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.
    I have stayed at both and for me the Polynesian wins hands down. It is so conveinent to MK with the boats and monorials and everything else with the TTC right next door. The restaurants are very good and I think Captain Cook's is the best counter service restaurant of any resort I've tried.

As far as the Wilderness Lodge, it's a fine hotel, but I much preferred the Poly. After our second night @ WL, we changed resorts and moved to the Contemporary because the WL was just "missing something".

In either case, having to decide which deluxe resort to stay at is a good problem to have!

Quote Originally Posted by Serkazong View Post
    I have stayed at both and for me the Polynesian wins hands down. It is so conveinent to MK with the boats and monorials and everything else with the TTC right next door. The restaurants are very good and I think Captain Cook's is the best counter service restaurant of any resort I've tried.

As far as the Wilderness Lodge, it's a fine hotel, but I much preferred the Poly. After our second night @ WL, we changed resorts and moved to the Contemporary because the WL was just "missing something".

In either case, having to decide which deluxe resort to stay at is a good problem to have!

Quote Originally Posted by princesslb View Post
    i cant describe my vacation at the poly without saying how amazing it was. the location, beach, pool, restaurants, monorail... my trip was perfect! and i am not sure if there are different types of rooms but my room was amazing and you could tell what hotel you were at when you were in your room. it definitely looked nicer then your average hotel... plus we had castle view
    've had similar experiences has these two people.

J&J
    J&J is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: Poly vs. Wilderness Lodge

both are wonderful. what type of hotel would you like hawaii theme of the trees and mountains. poly is nice and on the monorail . both have boats that will also take you to Mk. the hawaii theme is warm and friendly.
    J&J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast