Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Wilderness lodge in the Vacation Planning forums; When me and my family are going to WDW in April we are staying at Wilderness Lodge. The only time I have been in there is to eat at whispering ...
    wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

Question Wilderness lodge

When me and my family are going to WDW in April we are staying at Wilderness Lodge. The only time I have been in there is to eat at whispering canyon cafe. I really do not know what to expect of it. So can you guys tell me what you think of it.We are going over spring break and we are probably going to go to the parks in the morning then leave around 1:30-2:00ish to chill at the hotel so is there anything to do durning the time we are at our hotel other then swim and sleep.
    Mckayla
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    You can get a list from the front desk to find various hidden Mickey's in the Lobby. There is a place where you can rent a bike or surry and some trails between WL and Ft. Wilderness.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I love the Wilderness Lodge Like most of the other resorts, it has a snack bar and game room and shops and I think they have a gym also. You can rent bikes as well as watercraft. You can lay out on the beach at Bay Lake but swimming is not permitted. Boats run to the Magic Kingdom from out back and they also go to Fort Wilderness where you can go horse back riding, go on nature walks or go to the petting zoo. Wilderness Lodge itself offers a Wonders of the Lodge tour, it's a walking tour of the resort but they only offered it at 9am on certain days, not sure how it works now. Don't forget to try and catch the Electrical Water Pagent at around 9:30pm. You can also ask about being a flag family when you check in at the front desk, this allows a family that is selected to raise or lower the flag on the lodge roof. Have fun
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer
    Ok good there is something to do even. Yay for there maybe a gym good I can run for the marathon in 2011. Thanks !
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)

faeremoon is offline A-Ticket holder
    Wilderness Lodge is our favorite!! Yes there is a gym, over in the Villas, but Lodge guests can use it. Also, 2 hot tubs by the main pool and one by the Villas pool.

CAJUNWDWFAN is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Wilderness lodge

I had a great stay at the WL back in December 2005. You will love it.
    Disney Trips:
    Beach Club Resort Nov. 29th-Dec.6th, 2009
    Polynesian Resort April-2009 (Honeymoon!)
    Coronado Springs May-2003, Nov.-2006, June-2008
    Port Orleans Riverside October-2007
    Wilderness Lodge December-2005
    Port Orleans 1994
    Numerous trips as a kid to (Contemporary/Polynesian) (1977, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1987)

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder

We stayed there a number of years ago before the hotel had its renovation. We were all very disappointed in our experience. We were just expecting things to be different than what they really were I guess. We were both expecting the rooms to have a real rustic feel to them with being the wilderness lodge and all. But to our disappointment the rooms were pretty much a standard hotel looking room with no rusticness to it all all. We got a more rustic feeling out at Port Orleans Riverside's Alligator Bayou.

In they're defense though, they've since done a renovation of the hotel. We haven't gone back there since that trip, but of the pictures I've seen online the resort looks a lot better than it did when we stayed there.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

WDWmemories is offline C-Ticket Holder

I had the chance to stay there once.

On the plus side: I loved the theming of the lobby, and there were several different resaturants and a shop to enjoy.

On the minus side: I agree with an earlier post that the rooms seem pretty standard. Plus, when I was there it seemed to take forever to catch a bus to get anywhere.

Overall it is a good choice, but IMHO a monorail hotel provides easier transportation.

But you will definitely enjoy your stay!
    Enjoy!
    Check out free high resolution Disney World Pictures and Disney Vacation information.