Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Dissylove's DW Travel Issues Continue.... in the Vacation Planning forums; Hello, for some complicated reasons during our trip in June, we will be switching from our onsite Disney hotel POR to the offsite Holiday Inn just outside Disney and spitting ...
    DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.

Dissylove's DW Travel Issues Continue....

Hello, for some complicated reasons during our trip in June, we will be switching from our onsite Disney hotel POR to the offsite Holiday Inn just outside Disney and spitting the stay, 4 nights at POR and 3 nights at HI, and I was wondering a couple of things as a on-site disney vet who doesn't know what they are doing offsite!!??!

When I transfer hotels (I will not have a car!) what is the best way to get from the POR when we check out to the HI? Taxi? Do I call for one from Disney?
    When we visit the Disney parks from the HI, can I rely on the hotel shuttle, should I call a cab, etc? Any advice on this? Also, when we go from the HI to the Orlando airport, is there an airport shuttle that is reliable, or should I taxi it?

Thanks for all the advice and help I can get, I am travelling alone with my two kids so I just want to be as prepared as possible. Thanks!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    I would highly suggest getting a rental car. I did a rough check on alamo.com and a rental car for the times that you would need would run from $54 to $71 for a car. A taxi or shuttle from the HI to the airport will run at least $40. Other taxis and such would probably pass the cost of the rental.

I'm not sure about the shuttle service at the HI, but typically the shuttle services provided by offsite hotels are not provided by the hotel themselves. The hotel simply subscribes (along with at least 10 or so other hotels) to a service. The service might only make 1 or 2 trips in the morning and the same in the afternoon. If the buses are over crowded, you might be forced to get a cab. Check out what your particular hotel's policy and schedule is.

Look at Alamo or National car rental if you want to rent a car. They have a pickup location in Disney World at the Car Care Center and at the Dolphin. They might have a location at the Holiday Inn that you will be staying in.

One watch out that you need to look out for in renting a car is that you will need to pay $8 a day for parking. If you are staying offsite for the last three nights and do not plan on going to the parks on your last day, you will only need to pay for parking once. Your first night offsite (last day onsite) is still free with your Resort Pass. Eventhough you might check out in the morning, you are still considered a resort guest until midnight of that day.

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza