Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Bringing a ..... Microwave? in the Vacation Planning forums; My mother and I are both trying to loose weight via exercise and watching our calories and stuff. We love the Disney sit-down restaurants but are in a quandary with ...
    Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder

Bringing a ..... Microwave?

My mother and I are both trying to loose weight via exercise and watching our calories and stuff. We love the Disney sit-down restaurants but are in a quandary with sit-down restaurants and our diet. The food is way over-portioned and we should never eat that much on our diet. However, we don't want to be slapped with a plate-sharing fee or feel like we're being cheap because we're splitting a meal.

That leaves us with two options. Eat everything we order, which is pretty bad when you go to Yachtsman Steakhouse and get a 16 oz steak when a serving size is only 3 oz. , or we can ask for a box and take the rest back to our hotel room and put it in their fridge.

I'm not much of a picky eater but I must admit the thought of eating something like cold spaghetti from Tutto Italia wouldn't be my favorite choice. It'd be much better heated up. I know the counter service locations at some hotels (French Quarter comes to mind) have microwaves where we could warm up leftover food. However, to my knowledge, not all hotels have this ability.

Would Disney get upset if we brought a small microwave with us when we stayed in their hotels? My mother is somehow convinced that it would create a problem and we'd get reported or fined or something for bringing a microwave with us. I don't see where it would be an issue.

Any thoughts on the microwave issue would be helpful.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."

Re: Bringing a ..... Microwave?

DH and I often share entrees, appetizers, desserts, etc. and have never been to made to feel like we're being cheap or have had a fee attached. Often the server and/or kitchen staff will split the one entree into two plates so you don't have to eat off one plate at the table.

When/has Disney instituted a plate sharing fee? As far as bringing your microwave, I really have no idea if it'd be a problem. However, I do know some DVCers bring and use their crockpots in the rooms.

I know all DVC rooms have microwaves, but I'm not sure about the other levels of accommodations.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder

I don't know if Disney instituted a plate sharing fee or not. A lot of restaurants around here do for whatever reason and I've never been able to get a definitive answer on wether Disney does or doesn't have a plate sharing fee. Maybe it depends on the restaurant?
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

bety is offline Disney World Beast

When I went to Disney in December we all shared meals everywhere we went and there was no fee. Splitting meals between two or three people left us all satisfied, but not full. It was perfect.
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music

NorweJenNY is offline Fastpass Holder

I hope someone can enlighten us because I'm curious about the possibility of bringing a microwave too.

I just really like protein in the morning, and I'll already have a fridge... to be able to heat up leftovers or some eggs & bacon in the microwave for breakfast would be a big help to me!
    Jenny

April 1996 - Off Property
    December 2001-January 2002 - Honeymoon - CBR
    April 2003 - Off Property
    July 2004 - OKW
    July 2006 - Off Property
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - OKW
    June 2008 - SSR
    July 2009 - POR & WL
    September/October 2009 - ASMo

Next Trip - December 2009 - POFQ & VWL

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

Sorry, I have no idea about bringing a microwave, but I would think if you told your server about your concerns, they could make some recommendations. If they accommodate guests with special needs, then this should be simple. I would bring fruit and veggies that require less refrigeration and use that for breakfast. A great weight watcher breakfast is a mashed banana and peanut butter on whole wheat bread toast. You may have to settle for just bread, but it's a thought. Consider ordering appetizers instead of entrées. Remember that eating just a plain burger - no bread - helps manage calories. When I ate at 50's Prime Time, I had a bowl of chicken noodle soup. It was quite filling and I was happy with my choice.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

I brought my own mini-fridge with my on a trip where I stayed at a Value resort, no one said a word to me, I'm sure a microwave would be ok.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

Debbie-Habba is offline C-Ticket Holder

My husband and I are on WW and had no problems in WDW finding healthy options.
    We found many counter service stops where we found veggie burgers, salads and even smaller chicken options.. so it it possible to loose weight in Disney!

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom-Morrow"

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Bring it! We stay in the value resorts and once at a moderate,and we always take a small 2 cup coffee maker and a toaster.On our first day after checking in,we go to Wal mart and get our room snacks,our breakfast food and coffee.We don't rent a fridge,but we have a big blue cooler on wheels and every night before we go to bed,we drain the water out and get fresh ice to keep our foods cold all night.We have bagels cream cheese,milk,cereal,sandwich ham,mayo,can drinks,you get the pic.
    Then we eat breakfast every morning in our room.We save a lot of money that way and not spend $30 for breakfast.(I don't understand people.Why don't everyone eat in their rooms and save money on breakfast? It's only the meal to get one started each day after a night's sleep.Why spend so much money on the morning meal?).
    Anyway,before we head out,we drain the water again,get fresh ice and fill it up to keep our stuff cold throughout the day while we are gone.We don't mind doing it.It saves money.After eating breakfast,we clean up and put our coffee maker and toaster under a towel on the table and we have never had a problem from anyone.
    Personally,I believe that Disney folks KNOW that we visitors are going to do something as this and they just don't say anything about it.It's not a fire hazard so go ahead.
    I would take a very small one though.
    Park Hopper Dad!

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
    We don't rent a fridge,but we have a big blue cooler on wheels and every night before we go to bed,we drain the water out and get fresh ice to keep our foods cold all night...

...we drain the water again,get fresh ice and fill it up to keep our stuff cold throughout the day while we are gone.We don't mind doing it.It saves money.After eating breakfast,we clean up and put our coffee maker and toaster under a towel on the table and we have never had a problem from anyone.
    It is a lot of work for people to do on vacation... but I've done the same whenever we haven't had a fridge in our room!

We save a lot of money that way and not spend $30 for breakfast.(I don't understand people.Why don't everyone eat in their rooms and save money on breakfast? It's only the meal to get one started each day after a night's sleep.Why spend so much money on the morning meal?).
    I think it does just come down to people not wanting to worry about too much on vacation... personally, I would be worrying more because those breakfasts at restaurants can sure add up! I honestly don't want to waste that time in the morning getting to a restaurant, waiting on line, eating, ... when you could just eat a small something and get out to park opening quicker!
    Jenny

July 2004 - OKW
    July 2006 - Off Property
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - OKW
    June 2008 - SSR
    July 2009 - POR & WL

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."

We save a lot of money that way and not spend $30 for breakfast.(I don't understand people.Why don't everyone eat in their rooms and save money on breakfast? It's only the meal to get one started each day after a night's sleep.Why spend so much money on the morning meal?).

Because...
    1. Some people are on vacation and therefore will NOT cook/store/prepare foods in their room. Why should they? They are on vacation! It's the same reason some people will NOT do laundry in vacation.
    2. Some budget and/or can afford to eat all their meals out on vacation.
    3. Some really do enjoying eating breakfast out and eating other meals/snacks in their room.
    4. Generally speaking, eating the breakfast meal out is cheaper than eating the lunch or dinner meals out.

I'm DVC, so I always have a kitchen with everything I need. We don't make breakfast every morning in our room, but rather we'll do several breakfasts in our room, lunches, dinners, and snacks in the room. It depends on the day.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    4. Generally speaking, eating the breakfast meal out is cheaper than eating the lunch or dinner meals out.
    Actually, once each trip we do tend to do a breakfast out... but technically it's for lunch... money-saving purposes.

We'll make the latest breakfast ADR we can, and then make that our early lunch... since we do that at buffets usually, we can pretty much stuff our faces with breakfast foods (and sometimes lunch foods too if they bring that out and we're not stuffed yet) so that we're not hungry again until much later.

I also thought of another reason why people might eat breakfast out... earlier entry into the parks. Making the earliest breakfast ADRs in a park will allow people a chance to see, and take photos of, practically empty parks. I haven't tried this yet, but I will on my next trip.
    Jenny

July 2004 - OKW
    July 2006 - Off Property
    August 2007 - POP
    May 2008 - OKW
    June 2008 - SSR
    July 2009 - POR & WL

J&J
    J&J is offline E-Ticket Holder

no too many problems. you could ask for smaller portions or maybe a child meal. disney is always trying to help anyone with specialfoodproblems.
    J&J

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Sorria View Post
    My mother and I are both trying to loose weight via exercise and watching our calories and stuff. We love the Disney sit-down restaurants but are in a quandary with sit-down restaurants and our diet. The food is way over-portioned and we should never eat that much on our diet. However, we don't want to be slapped with a plate-sharing fee or feel like we're being cheap because we're splitting a meal.

That leaves us with two options. Eat everything we order, which is pretty bad when you go to Yachtsman Steakhouse and get a 16 oz steak when a serving size is only 3 oz. , or we can ask for a box and take the rest back to our hotel room and put it in their fridge.

I'm not much of a picky eater but I must admit the thought of eating something like cold spaghetti from Tutto Italia wouldn't be my favorite choice. It'd be much better heated up. I know the counter service locations at some hotels (French Quarter comes to mind) have microwaves where we could warm up leftover food. However, to my knowledge, not all hotels have this ability.

Would Disney get upset if we brought a small microwave with us when we stayed in their hotels? My mother is somehow convinced that it would create a problem and we'd get reported or fined or something for bringing a microwave with us. I don't see where it would be an issue.

Any thoughts on the microwave issue would be helpful.
    I didn't notice what resort you are staying at - I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can request a microwave at some of the resorts. Call & ask - would be easier than hauling your own down & home.
    Many resorts also have a coffee maker & 'fridge in the room already, but even if they don't you can request one.

As others have said - I've never encountered a plate sharing fee at WDW. Nor have I had any issues if just ordering small (salad & appetizer for example). They are very accomodating & will try to make sure you are happy w/your meal.

The other thing, and I know it is hard, is just learning to walk away from the rest of the food on your plate. If you are like me your mother drilled it into you to clean your plate (there are starving children in China you know... ) but if you can learn to eat what you want & then just push the rest away, it really helps w/the dieting. If I'm home I get a to go box, but on vacation, you just have to ignore Mom's voice in your head & let it go.
    Zima-Cheryl

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by zima-cheryl View Post
    I didn't notice what resort you are staying at - I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can request a microwave at some of the resorts. Call & ask - would be easier than hauling your own down & home.
    Many resorts also have a coffee maker & 'fridge in the room already, but even if they don't you can request one.

As others have said - I've never encountered a plate sharing fee at WDW. Nor have I had any issues if just ordering small (salad & appetizer for example). They are very accomodating & will try to make sure you are happy w/your meal.

The other thing, and I know it is hard, is just learning to walk away from the rest of the food on your plate. If you are like me your mother drilled it into you to clean your plate (there are starving children in China you know... ) but if you can learn to eat what you want & then just push the rest away, it really helps w/the dieting. If I'm home I get a to go box, but on vacation, you just have to ignore Mom's voice in your head & let it go.
    At POP and Allstars Resorts,in the food court,there is a microwave over by the condiment counter out in the dining area.This microwave is for those that buy bagels,toast,muffins,etc.I don't see any problem,even taking your food to the food court,heating it up and eating in the dining area.
    Also,the fridges for the rooms,at least at the value resorts,have a rental fee.That's why we never rent one.It's Disney!They'd charge you for the air you breathe while on their property if they could!

Also in response to MandaBella's comment about budgeting and eating all meals out: I felt very offended by your entire comment!Some of us,don't live "high on the hog" like some,and some don't mind doing their own laundry mid-trip!Some of us also don't mind eating breakfast in our room,because some of us,know the value of a dollar and some of us stretch it as far as we can! Some of us also are not DVC with tons of money to blow,along with an "I'm too good to do anything on my vacation" attitude.Some of us,are decent people trying to earn a living in this greedy world,trying to do the best that we can,to even be able to afford to take our families to Disneyworld,and if we have to eat our breakfast in our rooms,some of us are "GLAD" to do so,because we are at Disneyworld!But some of us have an, "I'm too good to eat in my room,because I'd rather spend money for everything" attitude and are NOT thankful to be able to be at Disneyworld period.Enough said.
    Park Hopper Dad!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast