Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Polynesian First Timer in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi - new to forum, huge WDW Fan. Planning my second solo trip for this August's Tikifest - I've never stayed at the Polynesian and looking forward to it, but ...
    mpd49 is offline A-Ticket holder

Polynesian First Timer

Hi - new to forum, huge WDW Fan. Planning my second solo trip for this August's Tikifest - I've never stayed at the Polynesian and looking forward to it, but the Unoffical Guide has several readers commenting on the water pressure in the shower being very bad AND running out of hot water quickly every morning. Does anyone know if this is true, is it still going on, is it better in the newer longhouses?

Thanks

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Polynesian First Timer

Welcome to the boards. Afraid I can't help you with the water pressure question, but I'm sure someone will soon. I've heard good things about Poly, but had not heard of the water pressure problem.

Okay - thanks

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I stayed at the Polynesian last year and had no issue with the water temp or pressure. Not sure if it would make a difference in time of year and how crowded the resort is but like I said it was not an issue for us, we stayed in Niue. BTW I just logged onto Tikiman's website and it was up and running, I though he shut it down. Does anyone know?
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

it's tikimanpages.com/tiki
    Found it on one of Lou's older pod casts. That's where I got all of my tikifest information from, plus I was there yesterday asking this same question to Steve, which he responded to as well...in short, seems that I should be okay.
    Thanks for the reply

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Stayed back in Oct '07. Four Adults. Can't remember any problems.

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

DisneyorBust is offline C-Ticket Holder

Smile Re: Polynesian First Timer

We have stayed a number of times at the Polynesian resort, we never have had problems with the water pressure or ever running out of hot water.
    Have you decided which longhouse that you wish to stay at?
    Off site January 2001
    Off site September 2002
    Polynesian December 2003
    Polynesian November 2004
    Polynesian December 2005
    Polynesian/Grand Floridian October 2006
    Poly December 2007
    CBR Sept 2008
    Poly 11/08 Anniversary trip
    Coronado Springs 3/09
    Poly 9/09
    Poly 2/10
    Poly 9/10

I'd like to stay at Tokelau - is it hard to get one that you request, any tips / tricks in getting it?

julielizabet is offline A-Ticket holder

Hi there,
    We stayed in December 08, so not so long ago. We were in Aotearoa. Before that we stayed in Fiji. No major water pressure issues, but we have bad water pressure at our house here in NJ, so anything would be an improvement. For us water pressure would be a last priority issue, unless it was horrible and we couldn't get clean or something. We love, love, love the Polynesian. One thing I should mention is that mousekeeping was just ok. The other thing is that we used Magical Vacations travel when we booked. Not great service at all. Next time I'm not using a travel agent. This is the second poor experience with a "Disney expert." Sometimes you're better off going it alone, if at all possible. I know you'll love the Polynesian. It's one of the most convenient and beautiful resorts on property, to be sure! Best of luck to you and God bless,
    Julie

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by GIOny View Post
    BTW I just logged onto Tikiman's website and it was up and running, I though he shut it down. Does anyone know?
    I heard the same thing. Of course just because he quit maintaining it & paying the bill doesn't mean it automatically goes away. It may live in internet limbo for a while yet. I just wouldn't assume the info. there is current.

Quote Originally Posted by julielizabet View Post
    The other thing is that we used Magical Vacations travel when we booked. Not great service at all. Next time I'm not using a travel agent. This is the second poor experience with a "Disney expert." Sometimes you're better off going it alone, if at all possible.
    Wow - were both poor experiences w/Magical Vacations? Or 2 different agencies? How frustrating to rely on someone to help make your vacation better & have that happen.
    Zima-Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by zima-cheryl View Post
    Wow - were both poor experiences w/Magical Vacations? Or 2 different agencies? How frustrating to rely on someone to help make your vacation better & have that happen.
    Heya!

The first time was actually with Mousears Travel (I believe the travel agency that is associated with allearsnet [formerly wdwig]. The first agent was in the process of moving to FL and was not helpful. I complained and was finally assigned another travel agent and she was just fine. It all depends on who you get with that agency.

The second poor experience (more recently) was with Magical Vacations (Lisa). When I finally complained, upon return, she was very rude. For one thing we were supposed to have received a gift basket in our room for having booked the "tikiplan" and we never got one all week. Finally I complained after we got home and she finally sent something from Harry David, just to pacify me. Also, while there we had problems and I tried to contact her during our trip and she was never there, no return phone call whatsoever. Prior to the trip she was not good about returning phone calls or emails. She may be a nice person, I don't know, but as a travel agent she didn't meet my needs. I went with these agencies b/c of their Disney expertiese and in her case, her help with the Polynesian. But that's all I'll say about that. You can email me if you'd like details. But that's just to say that next time around, I'm definitely doing all my own booking.

Julie

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Heya!

The first time was actually with Mousears Travel (I believe the travel agency that is associated with allearsnet [formerly wdwig]. The first agent was in the process of moving to FL and was not helpful. I complained and was finally assigned another travel agent and she was just fine. It all depends on who you get with that agency.

The second poor experience (more recently) was with Magical Vacations (Lisa). When I finally complained, upon return, she was very rude. For one thing we were supposed to have received a gift basket in our room for having booked the "tikiplan" and we never got one all week. Finally I complained after we got home and she finally sent something from Harry David, just to pacify me. Also, while there we had problems and I tried to contact her during our trip and she was never there, no return phone call whatsoever. Prior to the trip she was not good about returning phone calls or emails. She may be a nice person, I don't know, but as a travel agent she didn't meet my needs. I went with these agencies b/c of their Disney expertiese and in her case, her help with the Polynesian. But that's all I'll say about that. You can email me if you'd like details. But that's just to say that next time around, I'm definitely doing all my own booking.

Julie
    Actually Julie that helps. It makes me feel a bit better. We booked w/Magic for Less. If we were using one of the same companies you had I'd be getting nervous. Getting feedback like that is soooo helpful when dealing w/service oriented companies!!
    Zima-Cheryl

Sure thing. Ya know I don't like to bad mouth anyone, but when you go on vacation you spend a heck of a lot of money. If there's a travel agent or agency not doing the best job, I think it's only right that we warn one another. Anymore I've become such the Disney nerd I think I could handle it without a problem! Do let us know how your vacation goes! We won't be going again for awhile, so let us live vicariously through your vacation planning and fun!

Tim
    Tim is offline D-Ticket Holder

Sure thing. Ya know I don't like to bad mouth anyone, but when you go on vacation you spend a heck of a lot of money. If there's a travel agent or agency not doing the best job, I think it's only right that we warn one another. Anymore I've become such the Disney nerd I think I could handle it without a problem! Do let us know how your vacation goes! We won't be going again for awhile, so let us live vicariously through your vacation planning and fun!
    I agree. If someone has an issue, say so. I also think we should also make sure to express when they go out of their way to make things great too.
    Tim

Tim
    Tim is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by mpd49 View Post
    Hi - new to forum, huge WDW Fan. Planning my second solo trip for this August's Tikifest - I've never stayed at the Polynesian and looking forward to it, but the Unoffical Guide has several readers commenting on the water pressure in the shower being very bad AND running out of hot water quickly every morning. Does anyone know if this is true, is it still going on, is it better in the newer longhouses?

Thanks
    We're considering the Poly next year too. Please let us know how it goes!
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast