Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss value or mod resort? in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi, We are staying at pop century in sept and am not sure if it's worth upgrading to a preferred room? The other thing is i'm wondering if we should ...
    mmouse09 is offline A-Ticket holder

value or mod resort?

Hi,

We are staying at pop century in sept and am not sure if it's worth upgrading to a preferred room?

The other thing is i'm wondering if we should upgrade to a mod resort. The only reason we didn't book it initially is we don't plan to be in the room much and there for could save some money for more souvenirs etc or backstage tours. I would appreciate any of your suggestions. keep a dream in your pocket.

smith913 is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: value or mod resort?

We have always stayed at the value resorts, so I don't have input on the moderates. However, we have always booked preferred rooms based on a friend's advice who has lots of Disney experience. She said after a long day at the parks, she wanted a short trek to her room to crash! Staying at Pop in the preferred rooms makes a trip to the Icee machine a lot easier! Hope this helps. I would also be interested in hearing if others think the extra $$ is worth it! Let us know what you decide and how it works out!
    Samantha

October 2005 - All Star Movies, October 2006 - Pop Century, October 2008 - Pop Century, October 2009 - Pop Century, October 2011 - Pop Century

Thanks Samantha,

I'll let you know what we decide. Have a great day.

kat228 is offline Fastpass Holder

Back in October of last year I originally had booked a Value Resort. Then the AP room only rates came out and the Moderates were only $15 more/night. For $15/night, I'll splurge (especially when it was only 3 nights!) But when it was $60/night, I was having a hard time justifying it for the same reason!

I think it's really a personal decision. For some people that $15/night increase wouldn't have even been worth it, but I think a Value is nice, especially if you don't plan on spending a lot of time in the room and the difference between the Value & Mod is big enough for you!!

Follow me on Twitter! --Live when I'm at the parks!
    Hey look! I started a blog! Disney updates 11/16!
    Drink Around the World in Epcot
    Upon entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible.
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic.
    ~Sam Eagle

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder

The only difference between the preferred rooms and standard rooms at any Value Resort (or any WDW resort for that matter) is the view you get. At the Values, the preferred room overlooks the pools or a courtyard - basically any view facing in towards the focal point of the collection of buildings you will be staying in. The standard rooms usually face out towards a parking lot. So, you can be staying in a preferred room at Pop Century and be stuck in the 90s building, which is a much farther walk to the main building than the 50s building. The past two times we have stayed at Pop, we have stayed in a standard room of one of the 50s buldings and were one of the closets buldings to the main building. The only way to highten your chances that you will be close to the main building is to call about 10 days before you leave and request the building you want. There is no guarantee that they can grant you your request, so giving them a couple of your picks will help you get placed where you want.

I would recommend one of the 50s buildings, since it is close to both the parking lot and the main building. If you're not driving, then the 60s buildings are also a good choice. I would pull up a map of the resort (which should have the buildings numbered) and request the numbers (or decade if you don't care which building) of the buildings you would like. The other thing I like about the 50s building is that it has its own pool, and is therefore, the least crowded. The 60s and 70s share a pool and the 80s and 90s share a pool, so those tend to fill up.

The only differences between the Values and the Moderates are that the Moderate rooms and beds are a bit bigger and the Moderates have a refrigerator. Other than that, they are exactly the same as the Values. Since you're going in September when attendance will be lower, there will be mulitple bus stops that the busses will pick up/drop off at the Moderates as well. Pop Century only has one bus stop and does not pick up/drop off at any other resorts. I agree with kat228 - if it were me and the price per night was more than $10-15 difference, I would just save that extra money and spend it on souveniers.
    ~Ashleigh

Thankyou all very much for sharing your knowledge and experience I greatly appreciate it. Have a magical day.

disney-akj is offline B-Ticket Holder

The moderates have coffee makers in the rooms, a restaurant (not just a food court area) and a water slide at their pool as well. If any of this is important to you?
    Michelle

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

If you can afford to upgrade rooms/resorts I say do it. With Disney you get what you pay for. The Value resorts blow me away so I can only Imagine what the Deluxe resorts would be like to stay in.

I'm going in November and Staying at the Pop Century because it is all my Girlfriend and I can afford. Although not the most luxurious hotels they are still great for the price you pay.
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Spodie View Post
    The only differences between the Values and the Moderates are that the Moderate rooms and beds are a bit bigger and the Moderates have a refrigerator. Other than that, they are exactly the same as the Values.
    The Values and 3 of the 4 Moderates have double beds. Same size. CSR is the only Mod with queen size beds.
    -- Eric

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Spodie View Post
    The only differences between the Values and the Moderates are that the Moderate rooms and beds are a bit bigger and the Moderates have a refrigerator. Other than that, they are exactly the same as the Values.
    I strongly disagree. Here is a list of all the differences between Moderates and Values. KNOW THE FACTS:

Moderate rooms are 314 sq. ft. (except CBR rooms are 340).
    Value rooms are 260 sq. ft.
    The 54 square feet difference is about the size of two double beds.

Moderate rooms have a ceiling fan.
    Value rooms don't.

Moderate rooms have a fridge.
    Value rooms don't (or you'll pay $10/day to rent).

Moderate rooms have 2 sinks (except CSR's have 1).
    Value rooms have 1 sink.

Moderates have towels for guests at the main pool.
    Values don't provide pool towels ... you have to bring towels from your room.

Moderates have a pool slide and a hot tub.
    Values have neither.

Moderates' bus stops are covered (think protection from rain and hot sun).
    Values' bus stops are not covered.

Moderates have lush landscaping.
    Values have more "hardscaping."

Moderates have a food court AND a table-service restaurant (except POFQ ... food court only).
    Values have only a food court.

Moderates have some sort of recreational activity (e.g., boat rentals, bike rentals).
    Values don't have that type of recreational activity.

At Moderates, the maximum room charge limit is $1,000.
    At Values, it's $500.

EXTRA CREDIT:

POFQ and POR have boat service to Downtown Disney.
    CSR has full room service, a gym, and queen-size beds.
    Values are much more "kid-themed" and whimsical-looking than the Moderates
    -- Eric

Buzz2001 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I love the mods. It would be my first choice.

Thanks everyone for your awesome feedback. It's been a great help. Have a great day.

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

personally, I don't like the value resorts, but like you I don't hang around the room much. If it means tightening your belt at all, I probably wouldn't upgrade
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

julielizabet is offline A-Ticket holder

It's of course up to you and your budget. I do not like the Disney value resorts. I would op for the moderate. HOWEVER my sister (per my advice! wow she listened to me!) stayed in one of the Family Suites at the All Stars and loved it. It offers plenty of room, a kitchenette, and she loved it. She highly recommends. BUT you're paying about as much as at a moderate. You have much more space, but you don't have the same amenities, landscaping, etc. as at a moderate. There's always a trade-off, huh?