Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss do you tip the mousekeepers or not? in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by firemedic Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I think they really deserve a nice tip for things like that. It puts that Disney touch to things. here's ...
    bigyanks is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: do you tip the mousekeepers or not?

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I think they really deserve a nice tip for things like that. It puts that Disney touch to things.
    here's one of the displays she left

1989 - 1998 - Off Property
    August 2006 - Off Property
    May 2008 - Saratoga Springs
    Dec. 2008 - All Star Movies - Engaged
    Dec. 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
    Dec. 2010 - Bay Lake Tower (new dvc members)
    August 2011 - Beach Club Villas
    Disney Dream Cruise
    September 2011 - Animal Kingdom Villas

edwardsfire is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by beja View Post
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone here know what the mousekeepers make? I know there are several CMs on the forums, but I haven't seen any mousekeepers. I'd be curious to know what the average salary is.
    i know for a fact that after 2 years its at least 12.00 an hour plus encentives.....
    Im not exactly sure what those encentives are, but i believe i found the encentives from a link a fella had on a former board i belong to.
    However, i DID see the 12.00 an hour thing on the news when WDW was going through their layoffs earlier this year.
    Last edited by edwardsfire; 08-25-2009 at 11:48 PM.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsfire View Post
    I agree 100% with those statements.
    I also view the cleaning and sheets..etc as doing their job. No more no less.
    However, if i came in and saw that they also..ironed my shirts,washed our dirty clothes..etc, then that would be above and beyond....then id tip.
    Mousekeepers get paid better than most CMs' I just cant justify tipping a lady in a union and not the guy/gal that attends Splash Mountain or the CM that picks up the park trash.
    Their pay scale really stinks. Their FL minimum wage was $2.00 an hour less than Illinois when my son was a CM. He made $6.77/hour. Far from a living wage. I always had respect for the CM's, after my son worked there I had even more respect for all they have to put up with and still be "happy". Guests expectations are high for Disney employees even though they are paid poorly. Take a look at their union scales, just because they are in union doesn't mean they are paid well.

I tip hotel maids everywhere, not just Disney. I think they do far more than the Valet or the door man that flags a cab.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by bigyanks View Post
    We tipped at the end of the trip. she did a good job and she went nuts with leaving the towel animals and doing a different windows displays for our room with my daughters toys and souvenirs.
    I'm wondering, did you have the same Mousekeeper each day? Or do they pool tips? I'd hate to leave my tip at the end of the trip & find out it went to someone other than the person who had our room all week. We usually tip daily because of that concern.

DH & I usually tip - honestly, I find they seem to take a bit better care of us if they get that tip (and that is any hotel or resort, not just WDW). I guess I don't feel like it is that much $$ to get the extra towels & sundries & the extra little things they do for us.
    Zima-Cheryl

bigyanks is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by zima-cheryl View Post
    I'm wondering, did you have the same Mousekeeper each day? Or do they pool tips? I'd hate to leave my tip at the end of the trip & find out it went to someone other than the person who had our room all week. We usually tip daily because of that concern.

DH & I usually tip - honestly, I find they seem to take a bit better care of us if they get that tip (and that is any hotel or resort, not just WDW). I guess I don't feel like it is that much $$ to get the extra towels & sundries & the extra little things they do for us.
    Well shes didnt clean our room for 3 days and in the 3 days we noticed not so much of the Disney magic and then one day we saw the display so my fiance made me track her down and ask if it was her and she said yeah and that she would be cleaning our room for the rest of the trip and ive gone back to the room to get stuff we left behind to see her in our room so i was confident it was her. but i guess doing the small tips a day would be a better way to go by it.
    1989 - 1998 - Off Property
    August 2006 - Off Property
    May 2008 - Saratoga Springs
    Dec. 2008 - All Star Movies - Engaged
    Dec. 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
    Dec. 2010 - Bay Lake Tower (new dvc members)
    August 2011 - Beach Club Villas
    Disney Dream Cruise
    September 2011 - Animal Kingdom Villas

GoofyGuy is offline D-Ticket Holder

We always tip - Every Day.
    We have our daughter decorate little thank you cards we purchased for $1.00 at the dollar store. Then my 3 yr old colors them and puts all sorts of Disney stickers on them. We have 6 or 7 of them made out before we even leave and in our suitcase. Then once a day before we leave to go to the parks we put one out. We usually put a $5 in each card. We never wait because it may not be the same one each day that cleans your room.
    We've always gotten great service and lots of towel animals and displays. We would still put it out even if we didn't get anything, because I believe it is a tip service, just like a waitress or my barber. Just my feeling.
    February 1997 - Off Property
    October 1999 - Off Property
    November 2000 - Off Property
    November 2001 - All Star Music
    November 2002 - All Star Music
    November 2003 - All Star Movies
    November 2005 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    October 2007 - Pop Century Classic Years
    November 2008 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2010 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2012 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2013 - All Star Music

Artist78 is offline A-Ticket holder

$2.00 a day is normal for what I leave for their service.
    Total Trips to Disney World: 13
    Last Trip To Disney World: 05/2012 - Beach Club Resort
    Next Trip To Disney World: 09/2014 - Art Of Animation

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

OK, here we go.

Tipped minimum wage in FL is $4.19/hr.

Non-Tipped minimum wage has risen:
    12/31/08 $6.67 - 6.79
    1/1/09 $7.21
    7/24/09 $7.25

Mousekeepings wages in Addendum A of the last year (2009) of the 3 year
    contract is

Minimum Pay $8.25 Maximum Pay $12.92

Union Dues are deducted from each payroll check.

So yes they are union but does not reflect high wages. My own opinion is Mousekeepers have a tough job. If I clean my two bathrooms, tile, sink toilet, floor and tub; vacuum, dust, make all the beds, I'm pooped. It is worse if the family has a messy week and I need to maneuver around crud dropped around. Changing bedding like they do, nasty on the back.

Yes, it is their job, however I do not have a problem giving them a $1.00 per person, $4 a day for that back breaking work. I do agree tipping has its limits so no I am not going to tip the attraction attendant that shows me my row on Splash Mountain but then again I don't believe their services to me are comparable either.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

disneymaniac87 is offline Counting Down To My Next Trip!

We usually tip them. $1.00 a day that we are there. I think they work very hard and could always use the extra money.

I get an allowance for cleaning my house, why shouldn't they get just a little something for stuff they do for people they don't even know.
    *Sarah*
    My Disney Vacations
    '92, '93, '94, '96, '97, '99, '03, '05, '06, '09, '10, '11, '12(x2)

"All you need is faith and trust..."

beja is offline C-Ticket Holder

When I'm at WDW, I feel very lucky to have a job that allows me to afford an annual visit to WDW, so I feel like paying it forward to others that maybe haven't been as lucky as I've been. Just my thought and not implying what others should do, so don't flame me.
    Oct 99 OS|May 00 OS|Dec 00 OS|Aug 03 OS|May 05 AS|Oct 06 CB|Nov 07 POFQ|Nov 08 POFQ|Nov 09 CS

Disney Cat Mom is offline A-Ticket holder

Yes, we do tip daily mostly because it feels good. It's just my DH and I so we usually just leave a couple of bucks a day and then $5.00 on our checkout day. We are not too messy (except at home, )

Before we leave on our trip, I like to print up these little "Thank You" cards and envelopes from

I do have to confess that I never even thought about tipping hotel housekeepers until many years ago when I started visiting the Disney online fan sites and now I tip them wherever I go, not just Disney.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I don't tip the maids.

malt is offline Fastpass Holder

We always tip the maids, $2 a day is fine.

After all, we tip the taxi (cab) drivers who fleece us to get from a to b anyway, so why not tip the maids.

It makes me feel good to tip and i know if i were to receive a tip, that would make me feel good too.

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder

Absolutely tip the maids. Its to insure proper service and usually they go way out the way to get or do whatever you need. A small note and a tip of APPRECIATION usually you'll have surplus what you need. People harp on here how paying someone parking in the next car behind theirs to spread the magic..why not share and make the day who help make the magic?
    10/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    01/2013 Beach Club Resort
    11/2012 Saratoga Springs
    04/2012 Old Key West
    02/2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    12/2011 Downtown Disney Buena Vista Palace
    09/2011 Wilderness Lodge
    05/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    09/2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2010 Bonnet Creek
    10/2009 Coronado/Old Key West
    05/2009 Saratoga Springs
    03/2009 Old Key West
    01/2009 Saratoga Springs
    11/2008 Offsite
    09/2008 Offsite
    05/2008 Caribbean Resort
    03/2008 offsite
    01/2008 offsite
    11/2007 off site
    05/2007 offsite

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(

A couple of trips ago we left tips in pretty envelopes labelled "Mousekeeper" and the never took them!! I put them on the dresser, taped them to the mirror, everything. I don't know if they noticed or didn't think they deserved it. (we aren't messy people, it was just making beds really) It was weird.
    Our last trip we left the pretty envelopes and they were taken, but we have yet to have the towel animals in the window and such. The kids were kind of disappointed because other rooms had them. Maybe we just keep getting newbies that haven't learned how to make them.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast