Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Where Should We Stay? in the Vacation Planning forums; We are looking on spending a few days over at WDW in June or July. We're trying to figure out where we want to stay. We're primarily going over to ...
    Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

Where Should We Stay?

We are looking on spending a few days over at WDW in June or July. We're trying to figure out where we want to stay.

We're primarily going over to see the new Summer Nightastic fireworks, the Electrical Light Parade, and Captain EO coming back, so we're looking for a resort that has good transportation to both these parks. We'll have a car, but we don't like driving around on property. We will also be on a budget and are looking to get a bargain. We'll be booking under the 30-40% AP discount, and will probably be having a breakfast, and possibly lunch brought from home, and only eating out at dinner. We'd prefer not to stay at a value resort. Since we're FL natives, we go over often, and are planning to spend most of our time at the hotel, and likely only spend the one night at MK and then the next morning over at Epcot, maybe having a day where we're just staying at the hotel, so we're also looking for a hotel that has lots of stuff for us to do.

So, in summery, what we're looking for in our resort is:
    • A resort that has quick transportation to MK and Epcot
    • A cheaper hotel, though we don't want to stay value, we are already getting a discount
    • Activities that we can do around the resort, especially if they're free

I'm leaning towards the Wilderness Cabins, despite the horrible bus system, because its cheaper and we'll be able to bring breakfasts/lunches with us and stick it in the fridge; it also has lots of free entertainment. My Mom though, is leaning towards the Polynesian because when we stayed before I had a broken ankle and couldn't do anything. Transportation there is better and there's plenty of activities. I'm not sure though since we won't be able to store as much food since the fridge will be smaller (which probably means peanut butter sandwiches for lunch - vs something like grilled hot dogs), and it is more expensive, though we're really not THAT strapped for money... we're just looking at saving some for a trip in December too.

Just curious what your suggestions are for a resort. These are the two we're most strongly considering, but we're open to pretty much any resort that fits the criteria we're looking for. Send some suggestions our way.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Re: Where Should We Stay?

It looks like the cabins would be your best bet if you are wanting to use the fridge and kitchen. I personally love Wilderness Lodge. Transportation was excellent and there were several choices- similar to the Cabins. One thing to think about with the cabins is the longer walks back to your room- that may be a possibility. You can ride bikes and the beach area is very nice. It is a bit cheaper than the Poly.

Sounds like a fun trip! I am always ready to go back!

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Definitely any of the villas would be a good choice since you want to bring food with you...I'd recommend the Boardwalk or Beach Club because they are in walking distance to EPCOT and just a bus ride away from MK...there are also tons of things to do on the Boardwalk at night, and many restaurants to choose from. You are also just a boat ride away from Swan & Dolphin.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

wdwfns2 is offline D-Ticket Holder

If you are working on a budget, we really like the Port Orleans resorts. French Quarter is quieter, but Riverside is also great. They have a fridge and are the closest moderates to te parks you want to visit. If you want deluxe, we LOVE Wilderness Lodge. Quick boat ride to the Magic Kingdom and the bus isn't too bad getting to Epcot. The peace and ambiance makes this one of our all time favorites.
    Day 1 WDW Radio
    Keep to the code

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I think the cabins are your best bet for price, but POR would also be nice, but not as close to the parks.

williams is offline C-Ticket Holder

All my favorite attractions come back during this period and we are really glad that we’ll be there soon. There are huge options and I think Boardwalk is one of best options for stay. It has great amenities, attractive location and everything do you want.

Best Regards,
    Last edited by williams; 06-04-2010 at 03:51 AM.

Neeka7701 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I would say port orleans riverside, because it's close to everything and it has a good price! Plus, they have an AWESOME FOOD QOURT!!!! There is sooo much to do like horse and buggy rides, boats, the pool, arcade, and your only a boat ride away from downtown! On the downside.... you have to walk EVERYWHERE! Even to the lobby! it's set up like houses with a wrap around balcony with no hallway, so your room would be on the balcony. TO get to the llobby you have to walk through a long walkway and around the whole resort! Even with the walking, it's still an awesome resort to stay at!
    My Walt Disney World Vacations
    2001-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2002-Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2003-Beach Club
    2004-Beach Club
    2005-Beach Club
    2006-Beach Club and Beach Club at Christmas
    2007-Beach Club
    2008-Beach Club
    2009-Port Orleans Riverside
    2010-Port Orleans Riverside

I Love that little Duck!

LisaAnn is offline C-Ticket Holder

Personally, I would choose to stay at the Boardwalk, if you're willing to pay a little more money for a Deluxe or DVC room. The fact that its in walking distance to Epcot is always a selling point for our family (it's our Home resort for DVC) and the bus ride to MK is pretty short. The only downside is that it shares a bus stop with Yacht and Beach, so on your way back from the parks, you are the last stop. But, on the other hand, you go right to the parks when you get picked up from the resort, no stops in between. Personally, this is my favorite resort, and I ALWAYS recommend it!
    ~Lisa~
    DCP Fall 2012: Strollers/Main Entrance Merchandise, Magic Kingdom
    Vacations to WDW: 20
    Vacations to DL: 2

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

Thanks everyone. We booked the camping cabins at Fort Wilderness.

julielizabet is offline A-Ticket holder

Please let us know what you think. I'm considering it also.