Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Bay Lake Tower "debate" in the Vacation Planning forums; So we just got back from our fabulous trip and stayed in a 2BR at BLT. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the accomodations. Beautifully appointed, spacious, great access ...
    StaceyB is offline A-Ticket holder

Bay Lake Tower "debate"

So we just got back from our fabulous trip and stayed in a 2BR at BLT. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the accomodations. Beautifully appointed, spacious, great access to the MK, good counter service options, etc. We typically stay in a 2BR at the Boardwalk Villas and we love the easy access to Epcot and DHS, but we switched this time to try something different and to be closer to MK for the two little ones.

I was a bit surprised by the bus transportation to both AK and DHS. We did not make it to DTD, but I heard others at the CR/BLT saying that the waits were very long. It took us 90 minutes to get back from DHS one night and we had only missed one bus. Anyone know if this is typical of the bus service at monorail resorts or did we just have a bit of bad luck?

I really love BWV...the lobby, the grounds, all the activity, etc., but boy did I love that BLT room. It had an extra full bathroom and an actual laundry room. Do you think it would be too much to ask to drop the BLT room layout over at the BWV?

Let me know what you think.

DVC Mike is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Bay Lake Tower "debate"

BLT is my favorite DVC resort at WDW, and BWV holds the #2 spot.

Both offer walking access to a theme park, access to great dining and entertainment, and great views.

I love them both!
    DVC Member - My Home Resorts: BLT, BWV, BCV and VGC

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.

Sounds like a great trip. I have been comparing BC and CR for our next stay and will now include BLT. The more I read, the more I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Serkazong View Post
    Sounds like a great trip. I have been comparing BC and CR for our next stay and will now include BLT. The more I read, the more I like.

Cannot say enough great things about the rooms. I prefer the overall decor of the BWV and BC/YC...it just seems warmer and more welcoming, but it's also more my style, though the contemporary decor was really cool...just a little cold for me. If comparing, I'd make a decision based on which park you plan to spend most of your time. If it's MK...particularly with kids...then BLT/CR. If it's Epcot or DHS, you absolutely will prefer the BC. Transportation is much better and requires the use of far fewer buses.

We're already trying to figure out when/how to get back!
    Stacey B.
    1997-1999, three visits, off property - 2000: March, Port Orleans; November, Dolphin / Polynesion - 2001: March, Wilderness Lodge / Old Key West; September, The Dolphin - 2002: April, Mariott World Center; June, Dolphin; October & December, Boardwalk Inn - 2003: November, Yacht Club - 2005: May, Boardwalk Villas (finally DVC members) - 2006: March, Grand Californian - 2007: June, Boardwalk Villas - 2008: September, Boardwalk Villas - 2010: May, Bay Lake Tower

julielizabet is offline A-Ticket holder

Stacey, I'm so glad you wrote about this. I'm seriously considering BLT for our next stay. We normally stay at the Polynesian, but just returned from a weekend jaunt in a similar room with our two little ones and it felt too tight. (Almost 5 & 7) My younger one is on the Autistic spectrum, so we love the convenience of a monorail resort, making BLT ideal. However, the theming at the Poly and AKL/Kidani is just...warmer, as you say. Could you talk more about your experience at BLT, "feel"-wise, in comparison to your other stays?

Julieliabet...I have stayed at the Polynesian before, though it was without kids so the room size was not an issue for us. We did find it a bit noisy...the rooms built way back when were not as well insulated as they are now My husband really hated the noise factor so we haven't been back. We ended up joining DVC 7 years ago because our big kids (now 19 and 17) were getting older and a regular hotel room was just too cramped. I felt like every minute I spent in the room was picking up stuff strewn everywhere or nagging someone else to do the same. Post-DVC, we got 2BR accomodations and the extra space made things so much nicer. We loved it.

Given the ages of your kids, you could very easily do a 1 BR at Kidani or at BLT and have extra space to spread out. We haven't stayed at AKL at all...husband is very stubborn about transportation issues and since everything is via bus, we likely will never stay there (unless of course I leave him at home-ha ha). I think your kids would love the animals there, but the monorail transportation and being able to walk to the MK is a wonderful attribute to BLT/CR.

I really did enjoy BLT/CR. The Contempo Cafe was great...really good selection of high quality counter service items...something I feel is lacking at the BW. The atmosphere at CR is energetic...kids love it. It seems a bit more fast paced and louder, which is probably why I personally like the atmosphere at the BW. I think it seems more frenetic because of the open concourse with the monorail and Chef Mickey's. You will find that much different than the Poly, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. If I were in your shoes, I'd definitely give BLT a try. The room itself is so worth it; the pool is great; having Chef Mickey's right downstairs is a plus; and kids really do love it.

Just my opinion...I'm sure others would feel differently, but that's why WDW is such a great vacation spot...there's something for everyone! Good luck in your decision.
    Stacey B.
    1997-1999, three visits, off property - 2000: March, Port Orleans; November, Dolphin / Polynesion - 2001: March, Wilderness Lodge / Old Key West; September, The Dolphin - 2002: April, Mariott World Center; June, Dolphin; October & December, Boardwalk Inn - 2003: November, Yacht Club - 2005: May, Boardwalk Villas (finally DVC members) - 2006: March, Grand Californian - 2007: June, Boardwalk Villas - 2008: September, Boardwalk Villas - 2010: May, Bay Lake Tower

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

If my waitlist goes through, I'll be trying BLT Villas this time around. Straying from my usual stay at Wilderness Lodge, but at least I'm close enough to pop over for my annual fix.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Thank you, thank you Stacey! That was very helpful. I was considering a split stay, just in case. You know, two final nights at the Poly just to get our "fix," or perhaps elsewhere. I think we probably will like it, but as you say it is very different. But I figured if we stayed at the BLT, the Poly is a close monorail ride and we could spend some time there, too.

I take it that because of your husband's transportation issues (similar to my own), you've never stayed in a FW cabin?

Thanks Stacey! That was very, very helpful.