Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Fort Wilderness Camping Cabins in the Vacation Planning forums; We've decided on a resort for our trip in early August. Due to money constraints, we're going to be staying in the camping cabins at Fort Wilderness and preparing all ...
    Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

Fort Wilderness Camping Cabins

We've decided on a resort for our trip in early August. Due to money constraints, we're going to be staying in the camping cabins at Fort Wilderness and preparing all our meals in the cabin to save on money.

We've stayed in the camping cabins before, but only for one day, and we had a couple questions.

Anyway, both of us are almost positive that the cabin we stayed in a few years ago had a DVD player in it. However, we were looking at stuff online and a website said that each cabin had a VHS player. Does anyone know for sure wether the video device in the cabins is a DVD or VHS player?

Secondly, we are considering taking our two dogs over since the kennel they usually stay at here is very hot. They're Siberian Huskies and don't do well in the heat. I know we can't have them in the cabin with us but we are considering leaving them in the kennel at Fort Wilderness. My one dog is afraid of fireworks, do you know if you can hear Wishes or IllumiNations from the kennel location in Fort Wilderness? And lastly, does the Ft. Wilderness kennel offer dog walking for the dogs or are we going to have to go over there twice a day to walk them? Even if the people there walk them, we are interested in taking them out of the kennel for an hour or two and taking them over to either one of the pet friendly loops or to the dog park for a little bit, so they don't feel so separated from us. Is this allowed? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the dog park (and maybe pet loops) are for Ft. Wilderness guests staying in the pet loops, and while we are Ft. Wilderness guests, we will not be staying in a pet loop. Could we still take our dogs to the park or go for a walk on a pet friendly loop?

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Fort Wilderness Camping Cabins

According to the Disney website, they have both VCR and DVD player, sorry I can't help you with the animal quesitons.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

williams is offline C-Ticket Holder

It is an Ideal tour plan for saving the money. I always bring my DVD player (not only in Fort Wilderness) because sometime I face the problem by using room’s DVD player so also suggest you bring your own Video player.

If you have leaving option to dogs, so I think you have to leave your dog at home or other place.

Best Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by williams View Post
    If you have leaving option to dogs, so I think you have to leave your dog at home or other place.
    What? I'm sorry, I don't get what you're saying. I know we can't have the dogs in the cabins, that not what I'm asking. I know they'll either have to stay at the kennel at home or the kennel at WDW. What I was asking is if we can take them out of the WDW kennel for a couple of hours to take them to the dog park and/or walking trails where dogs are allowed.

julielizabet is offline A-Ticket holder

Can anyone here talk about the transportation at FW? My husband mentioned yesterday the possibility of avoiding the internal bus problem by bringing along bikes.

The transportation at Fort Wilderness is confusing at best, time consuming at worst. We are relying on transportation while we're there, but we've stayed there before and know what to expect and have somewhat of an understanding of their confusing bust system. We're also not in any rush to be somewhere, this is more of a relaxing trip, rather than a run and do all the parks trip, so the time consuming bus service won't be that much of a big deal.

If you can swing it though, and want to avoid the internal bus system, I'd rent a golf cart instead of riding bikes around. The golf cart would be a lot faster than a bike, and you're not going to be worn out by all that peddling before you even get to the park. I don't know the exact price, but I do know the golf carts are on the more expensive side.