Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Is it really worth it? in the Vacation Planning forums; There is certainly something special about staying on property that is difficult to explain. I have never been to a non-Disney hotel that was able to execute the theming anywhere ...
    Kaleigh is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Is it really worth it?

There is certainly something special about staying on property that is difficult to explain. I have never been to a non-Disney hotel that was able to execute the theming anywhere close to what Disney does. We loved the themed pools. Plus, staying at the resorts gives us a more complete vacation experience. We don't think of wdw as just the parks anymore. Staying on property, eating at other resorts, walking the boardwalk area, all of that is part of it. Then, if you stay at some of the deluxe resorts and get the added benefit of being able to walk or ride the monorail to parks, that is a HUGE plus. It is so nice to just meander back to your room at the boardwalk after walking the world showcase in the afternoon, then go back when you feel like it. (After sharing a No Way Jose at Beaches and Cream)
    Before I stayed on property, I always wondered if it would be worth it, now I can't bring myself to not. Our first on property stay was at Port Orleans Riverside, and I remember just being enamored with the theming and the paths in Alligator Bayou. It just felt like an extra special vacation because not only was I at DisneyWorld, but I was on the bayou with a quilt bedspread and old mill food court with ducks and rabbits along the path and a neat old time swimming hole. Each resort provides that "escape" for us, even Pop Century which we stayed at this January. I say, try it once for just a few days or a short trip.
    Oh, and the extra magic hour evenings can be really great. I love staying super late and walking on rides.

grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

Here's how I look at it and that's with 43 trips to WDW. If I'm going to the ocean, I'm going to stay on the beach, if I'm making the trek to WDW, I'm going to stay at WDW. I know it's going to cost alittle more staying on property but it's the convenience factor. I want a no hassle, no drive and park relaxing vacation. We're coming 1100 miles to see the mouse and staying off site and driving to and fro a few times a day is tiring and boring, just to save a few bucks that if you figured in your time and travel, might actually cost you more. That said, value resorts at Disney, are just that, values....When we take our hard earned vacations, I prefer the best or close to it for a reasonable price ( subjective to the individual) I'm willing to immerse my group in the best experience and have a worry free stay, very easy to do on property and I look at each stay at WDW like it maybe our last, so dang the cost or savings, I pay the price and stay on property or we just won't go.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy of ohio View Post
    Here's how I look at it and that's with 43 trips to WDW. If I'm going to the ocean, I'm going to stay on the beach, if I'm making the trek to WDW, I'm going to stay at WDW. I know it's going to cost alittle more staying on property but it's the convenience factor. I want a no hassle, no drive and park relaxing vacation. We're coming 1100 miles to see the mouse and staying off site and driving to and fro a few times a day is tiring and boring, just to save a few bucks that if you figured in your time and travel, might actually cost you more. That said, value resorts at Disney, are just that, values....When we take our hard earned vacations, I prefer the best or close to it for a reasonable price ( subjective to the individual) I'm willing to immerse my group in the best experience and have a worry free stay, very easy to do on property and I look at each stay at WDW like it maybe our last, so dang the cost or savings, I pay the price and stay on property or we just won't go.

I think that if I weren't someone who just graduated from my 6th year of university and have NO spare money, I would be more likely to stay on property. For me, at this moment anyways, it's more important for me to get to go to Disney World than to stay on property, so at least one trip a year off property by far trumps staying on property and going every 3 or 4 years. And yes, that is the difference... I've done expentensive math. Again, maybe not as much if it were just my boyfriend and I, but we have a lot of family and kids (as in 2 adults and 5 kids in a lot of my extended family familes) and food and hotel rooms would just be way too much.

Also, like I said, I'm going to drive anyawys (because we can't afford to fly with that maybe people and kids) so we have a car, and would for SURE be driving everyday even IF on property. And guess what? Most of the places we've stayed at have been closer to soem of the parks than a lot of on property places! I've stayed at places where you can see the Epcot fireworks from your balcony, the place we're staying at in August you can see the Animal Kingdom Lodge from our resort! So lets see... wait in line for a bus, take it to potentially multiple resorts, finally get to a park versus zip RIGHT over in my car? Driving is a lot quicker and less boring! (especially when you have an annual pass- you don't pay for parking!). I think a lot of people who stay on property just don't realize that off property really isn't so bad.

And one day, when I'm a very rich person and win the lottery, I'll stay at the Polynesian every trip and eat all my meals on property and fly there! lol

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

I think the name of this thread should actually be... "Is it really worth it to you?"
    Seems people are gettin' a bit twisted up over a simple matter of opinion and takin' things a bit too personal here for some silly reason.
    Take a deep breath and relax, folks!

Interpretations of worth between people vary all the time.
    To some, it's "worth it" not to have to worry about driving from place to place, to others it's "worth it" to have a vehicle with them.
    It's just a different opinion about the meaning of "worth" to different individuals.

For us to drive would take 20+ hrs. each way, and even at 10 hrs. a day JUST in the car movin' down the road, that takes 4 days off our trip. So, it is definitely "worth it" for us to fly.
    And, the resort deals we've been able to find on prop vs. off prop have never made the diffrenece between going and not going for us.
    The meaning of "worth" just varies between folks, that's all...!
    Last edited by Dizisit; 06-20-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Schpelling...!

3IAlienKid is offline C-Ticket Holder

There are several reasons why we prefer staying on-site, but the one that stands out for me is that I can hop on the bus and not have to drive myself. It takes longer, but no more so than any other city public transportation system does, and I don't feel that underlying stress of the commute, traffic, directions, making the wrong turn, etc. It actually makes a big difference.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Dizisit View Post
    I think the name of this thread should actually be... "Is it really worth it to you?"
    Seems people are gettin' a bit twisted up over a simple matter of opinion and takin' things a bit too personal here for some silly reason.
    Take a deep breath and relax, folks!

Interpretations of worth between people vary all the time.
    To some, it's "worth it" not to have to worry about driving from place to place, to others it's "worth it" to have a vehicle with them.
    It's just a different opinion about the meaning of "worth" to different individuals.

For us to drive 20+ hrs. each way, and even at 10 hrs. a day JUST in the car movin' down the road, that takes 4 days off our trip. So, it is definitely "worth it" for us to fly.
    And, the resort deals we've been able to find on prop vs. off prop have never made the diffrenece between going and not going for us.
    The meaning of "worth" just varies between folks, that's all...!
    I don't think anyone likes being outnumbered... in my experience people get defensive when outnumbered in their opinion.

But you're right, if you can afford to stay at Disney than do it. If you can't (as my family cannot, even with 40% off deals... we once had 36 people with us on a trip and 21 of those were kids) than it's not worth it. Well, "worth it to us" doesn't make sense in my case because we just don't have an option to spend the extra money. You do it our way or you don't go.

I just don't want other people to feel like if you don't stay at disney it's not a "real" Disney vacation or like you HAVE to spend the extra money to be able to go and have a good time. You can have a wonderful vacation off-property and a wonderful Disney vacation without spending a lot of money.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i agree getting to go to wdw is getting to go however you get there..or where ever you stay.. either way on or off property i have ended up spending the same amount of money..granted i can penny pinch it the whole way, drive, stay off property and sandwich stuff and breakfast stuff.. but if i have to pinch that much i probably shouldnt be going right then.. is what i tell myself and i save until i have more money.. because usually when one is on vacation you dont wanna stress about cash there or when you come home.. i agree.. this has turned into a kind of peeing contest rather than a pros and cons thing..

disney can be done cheaply.. yes it can.. but most people save and save to get what they want out of the trip whether its wine,dine, and massages and all that.. or if they want to do cereal in there room before they hit the park and have sandwichs for dinner so they have more money on tickets and ears..

and i can see where larger families have more expenses on things.. i get it..

its all about what you wanna build it to be.. thats why disney has so many resorts and different dinning packages and ticket options..

you build it to suit your family
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    I don't think anyone likes being outnumbered... in my experience people get defensive when outnumbered in their opinion.

But you're right, if you can afford to stay at Disney than do it. If you can't (as my family cannot, even with 40% off deals... we once had 36 people with us on a trip and 21 of those were kids) than it's not worth it. Well, "worth it to us" doesn't make sense in my case because we just don't have an option to spend the extra money. You do it our way or you don't go.

I just don't want other people to feel like if you don't stay at disney it's not a "real" Disney vacation or like you HAVE to spend the extra money to be able to go and have a good time. You can have a wonderful vacation off-property and a wonderful Disney vacation without spending a lot of money.
    In my opinion, "worth it to us" definitely does make sense in your case 'cause it DEFINITELY wouldn't be "worth it" to not go in the first place...!
    Mostly, I was just tryin' to lighten' things up a bit.
    My quote in my first post on this subject really should have read "We swore we would never do it (stay off prop) again after that, and haven't...so far...!" 'cause ultimately, if it ever came down to wether we could go or not based on room rates, we would stay where we had to.
    That just hasn't been an issue, so far , 'cause, for one reason I guess, we have yet to travel in a group larger than 6.

Bottom line...
    Whatever it takes.....it's Disney World, dagnamit!!!!!

MHWeaver913 is offline A-Ticket holder

Personally, I've never stayed off site. However for me personally, youd have a hard time selling me on spending the $$$ for a week at a deluxe resort compared to a value like Pop Century or Ft Wilderness. When my family goes to WDW, we are usually in the room long enough to sleep, shower, and rest and the other times are spent in the parks. Personally I dont see the point in spending the mega cash for Wilderness Lodge or AKL, (or any other deluxe) when I can visit them or dine at their wonderful restaurants.

On the flip side, I totally understand the cost of the deluxe resorts.. they are beautiful, and offer all the luxuries one could want. I just would rather spend my time at the parks rather than enjoying a room that one night might cost more than a week at Pop.
    Me (26) DW: (25) DS (6)

Previous Trips: March 1991, March 1996, June, Aug, Oct, Dec 1999, June, Aug, Dec 2000, March 2010

Next Trip: March 12-19, 2011 Staying at Pop Century!
    Admin of Illuminating Epcot - A New Site/Blog All About Epcot

Twitter: @IlluminatEpcot
    Facebook: facebook.com/mhweaver913

i wanna stay at the poly but i cant bring myself to pay that much per night..lol im a value resort girl
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

Disney's Folly is offline C-Ticket Holder

Growing up, my family stayed at the Polynesian a few times, Contemporary, Caribbean Beach and Dixie Landings. That was the experience of going to Disney that I knew from 8 years old to my late teens. Then in 01, I stayed at an off-site timeshare with a rental. This was valuable to us as we were also doing Universal Studios. I also kept things in perspective as the trip was very affordable for a twentysomething making little money. But it sort of watered down the experience that I was used to. A year later i drove to FL with friends on a truncated trip and stayed at a Days Inn. In retrospect, the experiences felt alien to me. I was desperate to go and still had fun, but part of the best moments for me going to Disney so many years was the charm and beauty of the resorts, and the magic of the insulated Disney experience.

That's largely why I looked to splurge this year and stay at a Deluxe (Yacht Club). But that may be too extravagant for some. I don't know that i'd say a moderate or value is worth more than the affordability of staying nearby off-site. Some of the charm of those hotels is really lacking and the transportation experience is more frustrating than not.

VGL_Lynx is offline B-Ticket Holder

Three Words: Extra. Magic. Hours.

Worth every penny.

'Nuff Said.

My family of 5 usually stays at the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness. We love the convenience of being close to the parks, and the flexibility of our own kitchen. (But lately we do like the Meal Plan).

Saying that, I'm NOT a fan of the Value Resorts. I dislike Food Courts and the general extra noise levels. I really think the Moderates and the Deluxes (droool) are worth it. Next time down, take an afternoon and tour the Deluxes. Animal Kingdom Lodge, and Wilderness Lodge are IMHO, mind blowing.

We do Triple A, to get Diamond Parking for our rental car. We go with the rental instead of Magical Express so we can more easily and quickly move a nine year old and 2 six year olds.
    Last edited by VGL_Lynx; 06-23-2010 at 12:39 AM.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

For us, no. We rent a vacation home (4BR, 2 1/2 or 3 BA) for the same cost as a Value. As a family of 5, we will not fit into a Value either so it is a good deal for us. Love the extra bathrooms with two teenage DDs.

edwardsfire is offline C-Ticket Holder

I think it is....absolutely.
    We have stayed at the Ramada main gate west....for about 41.00 per night,after the resort fee and the parking costs...it adds up to about 60-65.00per night.
    With discounts I.e. Pin codes...we almost never pay more than 79 ish per night at all star music.
    So, for us..it's worth even an extra 20.00 per night to stay on property.
    I could accept staying off property if I could save a bundle...but if you are going to stay at a value resort.....it is almost as cheap on property.
    Last edited by edwardsfire; 06-29-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsfire View Post
    I think it is....absolutely.
    We have stayed at the Ramada main gate west....for about 41.00 per night,after the resort fee and the parking costs...it adds up to about 60-65.00per night.
    With discounts I.e. Pin codes...we almost never pay more than 79 ish per night at all star music.
    So, for us..it's worth even an extra 20.00 per night to stay on property.
    I could accept staying off property if I could save a bundle...but if you are going to stay at a value resort.....it is almost as cheap on property.
    oh and add transportation back and forth from the airport..
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast