Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Is it really worth it? in the Vacation Planning forums; I have been to the "World" many times over the years, but have never stayed on-site. I guess the cost of the rooms drives me away. Is it really worth ...
    Figment071 is offline A-Ticket holder

Is it really worth it?

I have been to the "World" many times over the years, but have never stayed on-site. I guess the cost of the rooms drives me away. Is it really worth it to stay on site? There are many hotels close by that are decent and clean.

I guess my point is... When I go to Disney, I am there early in the mornings and back to the hotel late at night. I don't use the pool. I usually drive to Disney as opposed to fly and I enjoy driving to the parks every morning. I am an Annual Passholder, so I don't have to pay for parking. I don't get to enjoy the extra magic hours, but I am usually there for a week, so I have plenty of time to see what I want without stressing about missing the extra hours. Other than the Monorail, I probably wouldn't use the Transportation.

I have stayed at some decent hotels along Irlo Bronson that have been clean, friendly, cheap and within a few minutes of the Parks. Of course, I have stayed in some funky places also. This would be one downfall. You just don't know what you will get. Our last trip in May, we stayed at the Rodeway Inn. Clean, friendly staff, safe and it only cost us $270 for 6 nights with a King bed. We had plenty of choices for restaurants close by and wasn't forced to eat on-site every meal.

I know this is long, but would someone please tell me why I want to pay the high prices for the hotels? Maybe I am cheap or thrifty or whatever you want to call me, but I would rather be able to afford 2 or 3 trips a year, then save up to go every 2 or 3 years and stay on-site.

Thanks for your help...

Re: Is it really worth it?

When I go I look at it like I can pay around $90 a night at Pop Century or pay $100 or so for a night at the Holiday Inn. So for me being on property is worth it. I usually rent a car but if I don't I can use the bus. Which comes in handy when you spend the evening at Jellyrolls . Plus you can send your packages back to your room instead of carrying them with you or worrying about pickup when you leave.

I say try it once and make your own opinion. Pop is my favorite value so try there. And if you do, try the tie-dye cheesecake!!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

I'm with Lori, if you really want to find out just how nice it is to stay on property try one of the value resorts.
    Tiffany~ºoº ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i have staayed on and off resort.. and granted we got a nice room really cheap off resort.. i still like staying at wdw and being completely surrounded by disney.

we have always drove ourself, we never use the pools.. i just like the theming and getting my disney packet in the mail with all my info before i leave for vacation...lol
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

oh and the dinning plan because i like to go to character dinning.
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

bety is offline Disney World Beast

The thing I find most valuable about staying on-site is that there is free transportation from the airport to the hotel. That makes a world of difference to me!
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music

that was the deicding factor on this trip this fall.. were flying and dont wanna deal with renting a car..
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

When DW and myself were married in '88, we stayed off prop on our honeymoon. We knew that it would've been so much more romantic to have stayed on site, but we opted for the (slightly) lower cost. We swore we would never do it again after that, and haven't. Granted, we can find romance anywhere and we were in the parks (only 2 then) most of the time, but it was a real bummer at the end of the day having to drag ourselves away from "The Magic" to go back to our hotel.
    And, as has been stated, there really are great deals to be had on prop if you do your homework.
    Deals that will, absolutely, keep you going on your present schedule of 2-3 times a year.
    If you wanna' remain completely and wonderfully immersed in The Magic for your entire trip, as we do, then the ONLY way to go is on property. It is "To infinity.....and beyond!!!" worth it to us!
    Try it...I'm bettin' you'll like it and never go back to off prop!

Oh, and...
    As far as the transportation aspect goes, no matter wether it's bus, monorail, launch or whatever, that's also a huge part of the Disney Magic for us. You'd be surprised how many great folks we've met and great conversations we've had on long, sweaty, rocky-rolly bus rides back to our resort...!
    Last edited by Dizisit; 06-16-2010 at 12:46 PM.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

We always stay at Celebrity Resorts... we get a full condo (full kitchen, two full bathrooms, sleeps 8) for about $1000 a week. You could get ONE Pop Century room a night for about the same price, but you sure can't fit 8 people in it and you don't have a kitchen. The amount of money we save and the waaaayy way way way more space than buying 2-4 value resort rooms is definitely worth it for me.

I have stayed at Pop a few times, and it was great as a splurge (it's still not all THAT cheap), but I'm like you where we didn't swim and were at the parks morning to night.

Like you said, your place was $270 for 6 nights... for $270 you could get a Pop room for 2 nights! I would much rather go once or twice every year and stay off property than do one trip every two or three years (I think this is exactly what you said haha). I would maybe suggest to try staying on property once (or even just for a few days of your upcoming trip) and see what you think, but to me it's really not worth the additional price. I will stay on property when I go on my honeymoon, but I spend so much time on property when I'm there (including resort hopping) that I never feel like my trip is any "less Disney" than the trips where I've stayed on property.

I drive every trip as well, so it's not like you can take advantage of the transportation or the Magical Express (even when I stay on property I don't get a Disney package in the mail because of this) andd you don't pay for parking anyhow... driving is way easier to me and the only reason I wouldn't if on property is to save the $14 (and I frequently drive and park anyways just cause its easier and less time consuming). Frankly I've never had that magical of a time on Disney buses anyways, and end up riding the monorail more than once no matter where I'm staying anyhow!

Obviously I'm the minority on my opinion, but I think that its way better to have a longer trip or more-often trips and stay off property, but it is nice to try it once or twice. It seems like I have a pretty similar vacation style to you... it's not cheap, it's just being smart :P
    Last edited by zippitydoodah; 06-16-2010 at 03:05 PM.

2tinners is offline Mike Wazowski

We have done both on site and off site and have found that staying onsite was easier for us. We also live 1400 miles away. If you drive to the parks and are annual passholders you should try one of the value resorts. Someone in this post quoted $1000 for a couple of nights at the Pop. that is not true. I just spent at Christmas at the Caribbean beach under $500.00 for 6 nights. Go during off season and the Disney site has a list of when that is. Less people and cheaper rates. Have fun
    Love Disney. I hope to go next spring with the whole family.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tinners View Post
    We have done both on site and off site and have found that staying onsite was easier for us. We also live 1400 miles away. If you drive to the parks and are annual passholders you should try one of the value resorts. Someone in this post quoted $1000 for a couple of nights at the Pop. that is not true. I just spent at Christmas at the Caribbean beach under $500.00 for 6 nights. Go during off season and the Disney site has a list of when that is. Less people and cheaper rates. Have fun

You're mis-quoting me... I said you could stay for a week at Pop century for $1000 but not for 8 people (we stay with 8 adults in our place that is $1000 for the week, we would need 4 Pop century rooms and that would be a LOT more than $1000) . I also said that the $270 the original author spent at an off-property hotel for 6 days would only cover two (or three) nights at Pop century.
    I'm from Canada, it's pretty far haha. Since we drive we can buy breakfast and snacks and stuff for sandwiches at a grocery store and bring them with us (saves a lot of money). Plus having a car and being an annual passholder means they don't need transportation and don't need to pay for parking.

I will say that when I go it's with families, and so the amount of money we save is a LOT.... whereas if you're just one couple it won't be as big of a difference. Same with if you're going to buy every single meal at Disney, then you're not saving as much by staying off property. There are a lot of things to take into consideration, but yes, if it's just you and your significant other and you're going to buy all three meals and all your snacks on property, than you're not really saving all that much money by staying off-property, especially with the annual passholder discounts you might be able to get.

Ah I guess what I said originally was a little confusing. I meant that you can get one Pop century room for a week for $1000 (I had written "You could get ONE Pop Century room a night for about the same price, but you sure can't fit 8 people in it and you don't have a kitchen.") . I meant week, and meant that whereas my place can sleep 8 for a week for $1000 it would be a lot more to sleep 8 adults at Pop. Thanks 2Tinners... next time I need to make sure I proof-read haha!

Figment071 is offline A-Ticket holder

I live in Columbus, Ohio, so I feel your pain about it being far away, but I think you have another 8 hours on top of my drive. This past trip we bought Disney Gift Cards and used them for our food while in the parks. No worries about how much money we would spend each day. We have already started saving for the next trip. We also did the same when we bought our Annual Passes. We went to the local grocery store and purchased enough cards for 2 Annual Passes and then extra cards for food while we were there. With the discounts we get on gas at the grocery store, it added up to 2 free tanks of gas for our trip.

Our next scheduled trip is in January for Marathon Weekend, so I am trying to get an idea where to stay and get there in time for the Half-Marathon. We are hoping to go in October or November, but will have to see what work allows.

were flying out of columbus when we go.. i got flights for 171 per person round trip.. i was so happy were going for the weekend.. so we didnt want to drive and be tired when we got there.. so i was happy when i looked around those tickets.
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    oh and the dinning plan because i like to go to character dinning.
    Yup can't forget the Dining plan! I love it
    Tiffany~ºoº ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast