Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Help Us Pick A Resort in the Vacation Planning forums; My dad and I are closing in on a date that we may want to go over to the World. He's someone who "doesn't get it" so I've been having ...
    Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

Help Us Pick A Resort

My dad and I are closing in on a date that we may want to go over to the World. He's someone who "doesn't get it" so I've been having a hard time having him get on the ball and get things booked up. I've finally got him to the point that we're pretty much considering either September or October for our visit.

I think he's leaning towards a moderate resort, as I don't care for the value resorts very much and he squeaks too much to be willing to pay for a deluxe resort.

I have a pretty good idea as to what hotels would work for us, but wanted some others' opinions.

We're going to be there for just 3 days. The day we get there (Tuesday) we're just going to have a Downtown Disney day. The intention is to get to our hotel early and maybe try to check in. If its not ready (or even if it is) we'd go to Downtown for a little bit with the intention of having lunch at Earl of Sandwich, and then coming back tot he hotel to check in if need be. Part of the day may be spent at the hotel, so having some activities to do at the hotel (especially if they are free or cheap) would probably be good. We would then be traveling over to Trails End for dinner that night before coming back to our resort. We will then be spending our other two days at Magic Kingdom and Epcot. My dad doesn't like to swim, so pools really aren't important to us.

So, we're looking for a resort that has good transportation to Epcot, Magic Kingdom and Downtown Disney. Has free or cheap activities to do on site at the resort, with no great emphasis on a "great pool". My Disney experience would tell me to go to French Quarter or Riverside; but like I said I wanted some outside opinions on where we should go, not to mention that I'll be at French Quarter next month for a different trip with my Mom and sister.

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....

Re: Help Us Pick A Resort

Have you considered Coronado Springs? The theme is great without being too Disney (ie:less character stuff). There are plenty of things to do and the bus links are good.The food court is excellent, although you may not be there long enough to try it! It depends what sort of things your Dad likes to do. If he is into fishing, for example, you may be better off with Port Orleans.
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I would have to go with PO Riverside, you can just hop on the boat and go to DTD, it's such a nice boat ride. They also have a very good food court. It may be a bit of a hike to get over to Trails End but hopefully you'll have a car. You may also consider Wilderness Lodge, yes it is a deluxe but the prices are cheaper then most of the other deluxes and in those months you should be able to get discounts. Also your just a boat ride away from the MK and Fort Wilderness (Trails End)
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I'm going with Coronado Springs Resort too. My favorite moderate.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Tikikrissy is offline C-Ticket Holder

I say Riverside.
    It was all started by a mouse!

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

We stayed at the Carribbean beach resort once and we enjoyed it ok.There were some things I didn't prefer,but all in all,it was a good resort.However,I know you said you didn't care for the value resorts.Why?Have you ever been to them and checked them out?Yeah,they are just that.Value.But they are still top-knotch for value resorts.We have stayed in every value resort and loved it.To me,just in the room mainly to shower and sleep,doesn't have to be a like a Vegas penthouse suite.Plus now at Allstar music,some rooms are now doubled up into suites.Plus there is an "atmosphere" at these resorts that really makes you feel that you are in another world,a Disney world!
    I'm not rich nor well-off by no means,and maybe that's why people like us,have to settle for the cheaper resorts.But hey! We're not complaining,because we are still staying on property at Disney.How much more appreciative can we be than that?
    Park Hopper Dad!

Doombuggy13 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Talking Re: Help Us Pick A Resort

So it does not feel left out, I'm going to say the French Quarter. It is smaller then the other moderate resorts, so less walking. You can still catch the boat to DTD. And Scat Cat's Club is a lot of fun.

minnietoo is offline Loving wife of Disney Store CM!!

We've gone to Port Orleans Riverside love the biyou section and we have stayed at All Stars Music (value) with our children - loved both resorts would go back to both of them.

Buzz2001 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'd recommend CSR too! Besides having a great main pool area, CSR also offers some great amenities at a mod price.

CSR has queen beds while the other mods have doubles like the values. The rooms have been recently renovated and are gorgeous.

CSR has a fitness center, spa, tanning beds, a sauna, salon, full menu room service and a night club.

CSR has a sliding wooden door separating the sink area from the room instead of a privacy curtain like the other mods.

CSR has the same toiletries as the deluxes (except GF). CSR has separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the shampoo/conditioner combo at the other mods and values (a small thing, I know, but it means I don't have to pack shampoo and conditioner).

CSR has the largest hot tub of the mods and one of the longest pool slides on Disney property. The pool, slide and playground area is great.

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder

Coronada Springs hands down...if not available Riverside. I wouldn't stay at Caribbean again..not that its not good but just so big and had issue with using the bus system. If u have a car it would be no problem. I would recommend October for the weather..September is still hot somewhat. Although Epcot has food and wine and might be a little busy.
    Last edited by Tmntrans; 07-31-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling
    10/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    01/2013 Beach Club Resort
    11/2012 Saratoga Springs
    04/2012 Old Key West
    02/2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    12/2011 Downtown Disney Buena Vista Palace
    09/2011 Wilderness Lodge
    05/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    09/2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2010 Bonnet Creek
    10/2009 Coronado/Old Key West
    05/2009 Saratoga Springs
    03/2009 Old Key West
    01/2009 Saratoga Springs
    11/2008 Offsite
    09/2008 Offsite
    05/2008 Caribbean Resort
    03/2008 offsite
    01/2008 offsite
    11/2007 off site
    05/2007 offsite

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

I have stayd at all the moderates and the values and my favorite by a LONG shot is CBR. It was the first and as such was built before Disney got quite so "cheap" LOL! The "standard view" room has never been FULL PARKING lot, there are tons of pools, the grounds are beautiful etc.

CSR is at the bottom of the list. I have stayed there 3 times. Front desk has had major issues all 3 times and the Pepper Market (I don't tip normally to be shown the ONLY clean table in a fast food resturant. they wanted a tip for POINTING at the table and then returning to talk with thier friends, NOTHING else was done, not even cleaning up the mess at the tables around me. YUCK!)

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

I've never stayed at CSR,but with the bad things I've heard,I probably never stay there.
    Park Hopper Dad!

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Carolla View Post
    I have stayd at all the moderates and the values and my favorite by a LONG shot is CBR. It was the first and as such was built before Disney got quite so "cheap" LOL! The "standard view" room has never been FULL PARKING lot, there are tons of pools, the grounds are beautiful etc.

CSR is at the bottom of the list. I have stayed there 3 times. Front desk has had major issues all 3 times and the Pepper Market (I don't tip normally to be shown the ONLY clean table in a fast food resturant. they wanted a tip for POINTING at the table and then returning to talk with thier friends, NOTHING else was done, not even cleaning up the mess at the tables around me. YUCK!)
    im with you.. i thought the pepper market was a joke.. we never got refills.. i was choking my food down wishin i had a drink.. and your right they stand around yackin to their buddies...and i didnt care of the buses there.. i have never waited so long for a bus in all my life.. we waited 45 mins for a bus to come to dtd to take us back to the resort! and after 45 mins i gave up and went somewhere else! the buses the whole time we were there was way worse than any value resort experiance i have ever had. i hated it my mod resort experiance.. thank you CSR.. i may never get the hubby to ever spring for a nicer resort after this.. thank goodness our stay those 4 nights was free.
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by minnietoo View Post
    We've gone to Port Orleans Riverside love the biyou section and we have stayed at All Stars Music (value) with our children - loved both resorts would go back to both of them.
    Yea, what my DW up there said about POR! We've stayed in the Bayou section twice ('01 and '04) and absolutely LOVED it!
    Never had any probs with the busses, it has a great pool, a great food court, very pleasant theming, and you can take a boat ride to DTD, among many other plusses...
    Hope we can afford to stay there again on our next trip!
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

Port orelans Riverside isa good choice.. You cna hopt eh boat to down town and they have a greta piano loungeon certain nights the player is usually great.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast