Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Fort Wilderness - tent camping in the Vacation Planning forums; I am thinking about a solo trip to FW and tent camping. I will not have a car, as I will be flying in. 1. Does Magical Express take you ...
    wedway is offline A-Ticket holder

Fort Wilderness - tent camping

I am thinking about a solo trip to FW and tent camping. I will not have a car, as I will be flying in.

1. Does Magical Express take you to Fort Wilderness?
    2. Has anyone ever flown with a tent before, or are there tents available for rent at FW for individuals?
    3. Will I need to worry about my valuables during the day while I am at the parks? Remember, I will be flying and will not have a car to store anything in. I'll just be dealing with a small bag if at all possible.

tmlinz is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: Fort Wilderness - tent camping

I just stayed in a tent at Fort Wilderness. It looked like there were people without cars or tents of their own (I actually watched Cast Members settting up a tent at 10:30 at night).
    I can't say for sure about that, though.

As for valuables, I was more concerned about the heat than about safety. There were patrols going through more often than I have seen at most National Park campgrounds. Of course, if it's not big, it never hurts to take it with you.
    The happiest place on earth is where my kids are!

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Here's my two cents worth,and it may not even be worth that:
    I am not a camper! My way of camping,is walk to my resort room,put the card key in,open the door and go in and relax in an air-conditioned room on the bed!But I would love to stay in a cabin at Ft.Wilderness though.Price prevents me from doing so.If money is not a big concern for you,I'd stay in a cabin,then you'll know your valuables are safe.
    Park Hopper Dad!

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i was just thinking the samething.. i was watching that disney on a dime today and it showed a scene from the campground and i seen tents.. and i was like wow!!! im a huge tent camper person.. no one else in my family really is.. but i am.. i would love to camp at wdw.. i wish i could get someone to do it with me.. or.. this spring when brent goes to his sales meeting for the week me and bug might do something like this.. but... if the airport loses your tent.. your in trouble...lol
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.

When I was a little tyke, this was the way my family vacationed @ WDW. Back then, the rooms at the Poly were $100 per night (wow!) and we simply couldn't afford multiple nights, so we would drive down, set up the tent and stay the first 5 nights. The last night, we would sometimes splurge and get a room at the Poly if one was available. Honestly, the cast members and people @ Ft. Wilderness were so nice I don't think we would have had a better time anywhere else. Times have of course changed, but nobody bothered our stuff and we never had anything come up missing, although, the squirrels were pretty crafty thieves! I think you have a great idea- have fun!

has there been issues with people stealing? i was watching that video and i seen all the things the family was doing.. it would be as if you went camping up in the smokies with a touch of disney.. their is so much you can do.. i think this is my plan for me and bug this spring when brent goes to his spring meetings.. usually in march or april.. is it still too cold then
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

ginnyfavers is offline B-Ticket Holder

I would ship a tent and sleeping bag and air mattress to yourself c/o the resort and pick it up at check-in. Other resorts will let you ship a package to them, I imagine Ft. Wilderness would allow it, too. Call them and ask.

For valuables, you could bring them with you and rent a locker at whatever park you are going to for the day, so you don't have to lug a big purse around everywhere.

Having said all this, I will warn you that it can be really, really hot once the sun gets up on your tent, any months other than winter. Early December was great, early April, too hot for comfort.
    Amanda, Joe & Miles
    Planning my next trip way way way too far in advance...

"I met the love of my life on the Seven Seas Lagoon"

i think what i'll do is wait until next yr when i find out when his spring classes are.. and i will then check out the weather and go from there. i wont have alot of valuables.. ill leave jewelry and stuff like that at home.. and as for my camera it will be with me in the park. and i will carry any money on me. i think i have a plan
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    i was just thinking the samething.. i was watching that disney on a dime today and it showed a scene from the campground and i seen tents.. and i was like wow!!! im a huge tent camper person.. no one else in my family really is.. but i am.. i would love to camp at wdw.. i wish i could get someone to do it with me.. or.. this spring when brent goes to his sales meeting for the week me and bug might do something like this.. but... if the airport loses your tent.. your in trouble...lol
    Remember you can mail your stuff to WDW Resort in advance! I shipped 2 boxes to PO FC when my son was going into the college program via UPS and I could track it. Shipping the tent is likely cheaper than paying the airline.

i honestly could fit my tent into my carry on its that small..lol
    Pop Century October 2010
    Chrissy