Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss POR - First Stay in the Vacation Planning forums; Just made our first reservation to stay at POR in October for three nights after our Dream cruise. I've always loved the photos I have seen and actually was there ...
    Renysmom is offline Fastpass Holder

POR - First Stay

Just made our first reservation to stay at POR in October for three nights after our Dream cruise.

I've always loved the photos I have seen and actually was there for one evening last year but never have actually toured the resort.

Where is the best areas to request, any secrets I need to know? We will have a car so bus stops aren't important. Please share what you can with me.

Thanks!
    Kelly

Dec 2005 - Off Site ~ Dec 2006 - Off site ~ Dec 2007 - CSR ~ March 2008 - SSR ~ Oct 2008 Wonder Cruise and SSR ~ Oct. 2009 - Magic 7 Day Western ~ Dec 2009- SSR ~ July 2010 - Off site ~ Dec 2010 Wonder Cruise and S/D
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Still to Come - Sept./Oct 2011 Dream Cruise and F/W with Friends, Oct 2012 - 7 Day Eastern on the Fantasy

mejkjj97 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: POR - First Stay

This my favorite moderate resort. I really enjoyed our stay here. We perfer Magnolia Bend (the mansions) due to the theme plus it backs up to POFQ and not to the main road.
    The resort is really big- are you looking to stay close to the main building (where the food court is) or are you looking for it to be quiet?
    Kim J

Me DH DD (7) DD (2)

Two words: YeeHaw Bob!!!!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

It really is a large, spread out resort. Hands down my overall favorite, we have stayed there on and off since the week it opened.

I like the Mansions, close to the bus stops, nice at night. Some a hike to pool or food, but I'm not tired then.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by lorilovestigger View Post
    Two words: YeeHaw Bob!!!!

Saw Bob in Dec 2009 with lots of friends. It was a great night.

Sounds like we can pretty much stay anywhere since we have a car and be happy. Great can't wait to learn more.
    Kelly

Dec 2005 - Off Site ~ Dec 2006 - Off site ~ Dec 2007 - CSR ~ March 2008 - SSR ~ Oct 2008 Wonder Cruise and SSR ~ Oct. 2009 - Magic 7 Day Western ~ Dec 2009- SSR ~ July 2010 - Off site ~ Dec 2010 Wonder Cruise and S/D
    Still to Come - Sept./Oct 2011 Dream Cruise and F/W with Friends, Oct 2012 - 7 Day Eastern on the Fantasy

DVCsince02 is offline ~~~ Official SES Member ~~~ Enabler!!! ~~~ °O° ~~~ Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Renysmom View Post
    Saw Bob in Dec 2009 with lots of friends. It was a great night.

Sounds like we can pretty much stay anywhere since we have a car and be happy. Great can't wait to learn more.
    Jen DH DD7 DS5 DS2

1979-FWC ~ 3/89-Offsite ~ 6/99-CBR ~ 11/01-ASMu ~ 5/04-OKW ~ 11/04-BCV ~ 9/05-SSR ~ 5/07-SSR ~ 12/07-SSR ~ 5/08-OKW ~ 5/09-BCV&DCL&BWV ~
    6/09-AKV&DCL&BWV ~ 12/09-SSR ~ 12/10-VWL&DCL&BLT ~ 10/11-BCV (F&W) ~ 8/2012 DCL in NYC ~ 10/2012 DCL Fantasy ~ 2014 DLR-PARIS ~ 2016 Aulani

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Renysmom View Post

There is another one that I can't think of right now but this should get you going....a great photo tour.

Disney's Port Orleans Riverside Resort Slideshow
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

When we first went with the Kiddos in '01 and '04, we stayed in the Alligator Bayou section of POR and absolutely LOVED it! We stayed in rooms that were close to both the food court and Ol' Man Island and it was fabulous!
    We've stayed in some values since that were great, too, but we REALLY look forward to goin' back to POR sooooooon...it's just an all-around GREAT resort!!!
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!

Several of us from here went this past October. We requested the Magnolia building because it is very centrally located. In my opinion, it is definitely the best themed as well. The food court can be a bit noisy, not as quiet as POFQ, but honestly, we were only there to grab a snack before and after the parks.

You will be happy to have a car, the parking lots are very close to the back sides of all the buildings, especially if you are put in a building that is far from the bus stop- as many of them are.

We did the online check-in, but it is not busy at all in this hotel (time of year probably helped us) and with the exception of a couple of snafoos, the staff is extremely helpful.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    There is another one that I can't think of right now but this should get you going....a great photo tour.

Disney's Port Orleans Riverside Resort Slideshow
    Thanks for sharing the link. I will definitely be checking the photos out more than once
    Kelly

Rtobe is offline C-Ticket Holder

It has been awhile since I stayed at POR. My preference is the Riverside rather than Alligator Bayou - but it mostly style there. If you like to visit food court for refilling resort mug to bring back to room, the coffee may get cold by the time you get back