Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Animal Kingdom Lodge in the Vacation Planning forums; I can now give my two cents on the AKL. AWESOME!!! The resort is sooo beautiful - our one-bedroom villa was spacious and comfy! I was worried because we were ...
    kandjad is offline C-Ticket Holder

Animal Kingdom Lodge

I can now give my two cents on the AKL. AWESOME!!! The resort is sooo beautiful - our one-bedroom villa was spacious and comfy! I was worried because we were using all available bed space and thought we may be cramped. Not the case at all! We stayed in the Jambo House - next time we will try Kidani Village. We liked Kidani's pool better!!

I read several times about how terrible the bus service to AKL was and we were worried - but didn't need to be. Buses ran frequently and we never waited more than 10-15 minutes for any bus.

We will stay at AKL again for sure! It was wild to walk into the room the first afternoon and look down on a giraffe having a snack!!
    It's FALL?!? Already?!?!
    Kate

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Animal Kingdom Lodge

That must have been some great view when you first checked in.

revtigger is offline A-Ticket holder

We spent 5 nights at AKL in January and I agree it was awesome. The theming in the resort was brilliant. Our room was spacious and very comfortable, also very well themed. But nothing really beats opening your curtain in the morning and seeing a giraffe walking around. We also had short waits for buses. We are going back in November for three nights at Kidani Village.
    MY DISNEY TRIPS
    April 1995 - Disneyland (offsite – Park Vue Econo Lodge) Honeymoon
    May 2004 - Disneyland (offsite – Tropicana Inn)
    October 2005 - WDW (All Star Movies); Disney Wonder (3 night Bahamas Cruise)
    November 2005 - Disneyland (offsite – Tropicana Inn)
    September 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne)
    February 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel New York)
    December 2010 / January 2011 - Disneyland (Grand Californian Hotel); WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge); Disney Wonder (15 night Panama Canal Cruise); Disneyland (Paradise Pier Hotel)
    August 2011 - Hong Kong Disneyland (Hollywood Hotel)
    Oct/Nov 2011 - Disneyland (Disneyland Hotel); WDW (Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Villas & Polynesian); Disney Dream (4 & 3 night back to back Bahamas Cruise); WDW (Bay Lake Tower & Animal Kingdom Lodge); Disneyland (Grand Californian)

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

If you liked Jambo House, you will love Kidani Village!!! The rooms at Kidani Village are BIGGER and better in my opinion. We stayed at both during our trip last December. We booked the same type room (two-bedroom villa) at both resorts. As soon as I walked into the room at Kidani Village after having stayed at the room in Jambo House, I told my husband, "It is Kidani Village or not at all." It was that much better. Trust me, once you stay at Kidani Village, you will know what I am talking about. Why do you think it is cheaper to stay at Jambo House??????
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

We had no issues with bus service at either AKL or Kidani Village. Honestly, I think sometimes people talk about what they don't know. They assume since it is out by itself, the bus service is going to be terrible. Then again, some people just like to complain and harp on the negative. Disney Transportation has worked on logistics in the past. I think they know what they are doing.
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Another big fan of Animal Kingdom lodge here - it's my favourite Disney resort (next to the Polynesian) - we really hope to be able to stay there again soon.
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Haven't tried my DVC points there yet. Need to try it out. But I always make a point of driving over during my trips and walking the lobby and hotel grounds.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

tyry is offline A-Ticket holder

AKL is our favorite as well. DH never wanted to buy into DVC until they announced the AKV. We have yet to try Kidani as I love my pool view at Jambo, but know one of these days I'll have to give in.

Strangely enough, the first time we stayed there was after staying at the WL for a week. DH like AKL right away, I HATED it. I pouted for the first couple of days and even tried to get him to switch. Then something happened and I just really fell in love with it. Didn't want to leave a couple days later.
    Me DH Our pup
    May 1995 - 1st Trip! Offsite --- May 2000 - Ramada Offsite & POFQ --- Oct/Nov 2004 - POFQ, 1st MNSSHP on HALLOWEEN! --- Sept/Oct 06 11 days!!! WL, AKL --- Sept/Oct 08 - First Trip Home to AKV --- Trip of New Phases, Friends & 40 - Sept 09 - CR/AKV --- Oct '10 BCV/AKV

tmbcole is offline C-Ticket Holder

We've stayed at Jambo House (in a studio I think) and we loved our room. It was simply awesome to walk out of your room and see animals at any time of the day. The mornings were very foggy when we were there, but we could still see the animals. We're animal lovers / nuts and would stay at AKL in a second.

My uncle stayed at Kidani Village but was not as impressed. He said there were no quick service locations except at the main lodge and he had quite a distance to go just to get a coffee. I know you can make coffee in your room, but doing so would have disturbed other family members. I don't think he had any other complaints except the distance between Jambo and Kidani.

Obviously, the resort is not for everyone, but we loved it and had a great time.
    Tina Cole

julielizabet is offline A-Ticket holder

I'd love to stay at AKL, pref. Kidani, esp. for kid-friendly amenities.

kandjad is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'm really needing a Disney fix.....thinking Kidani Village this spring.....
    It's FALL?!? Already?!?!
    Kate

jennies is offline A-Ticket holder

Animal Kingdom Lodge is my favorite resort and I stay there every winter. I much prefer Jambo House to Kidani Village, simply because it is a lot more convenient for grabbing a quick bite at the cafeteria or getting a nice drink in the evening. I wouldn't stay at Kidani Village again.
    Read my latest DVC resort reviews

disneyrunrchick is offline C-Ticket Holder

We're planning a trip for May and hoping to stay at AKL. We're not vacation club members, so any tips on what kind of room we should get for good views?
    Thanks!
    http://disneyrunnerchick.blogspot.com

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good
    .-

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is no one on the planet to compare with moi.- Miss Piggy

TEN Trips... And counting!

BeachClub2011 is offline A-Ticket holder

I have a question out of curiosity about AKL. My wife doesn't care for curry at all and I know that Boma has some curry dishes. Can you smell the curry dishes throughout the resort? I know that sometimes the curry fragrance can linger and I was just curious.

Previous trips: Disneyland '87, '88, '90x2
    Disneyland Paris '94- Sequoia Lodge
    WDW '95-Dixie Landings, '96-Disney Institue, '97-Caribbean Beach, '98-Old Key West, '99-Coronado Springs

disneyrunrchick is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by BeachClub2011 View Post
    I have a question out of curiosity about AKL. My wife doesn't care for curry at all and I know that Boma has some curry dishes. Can you smell the curry dishes throughout the resort? I know that sometimes the curry fragrance can linger and I was just curious.
    Definitely not. We've ate at Boma several times, and I never even noticed a smell in the restaurant. :-)
    http://disneyrunnerchick.blogspot.com

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good
    .-

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is no one on the planet to compare with moi.- Miss Piggy

TEN Trips... And counting!