Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Can't decide where to stay-Poly or Value? in the Vacation Planning forums; I am trying to plan a trip for me and my daughter for this August 2011. The trip is to celebrate our birthdays and her first trip to the World. ...
    eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

Can't decide where to stay-Poly or Value?

I am trying to plan a trip for me and my daughter for this August 2011. The trip is to celebrate our birthdays and her first trip to the World.

At first I was dead set on staying at the Poly, since I had always wanted to stay there and experience that atmosphere ( I love the culture) I have been thinking more and more about staying at a Value resort.

Here is my reasoning for both.

Poly
    1. closer to parks, especially MK where we will spend most of our time.
    2. Monorail access right there!
    3. awesome pool
    4. breakfast character dining with Stitch! (i love stitch!)
    5. Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show
    6. awesome place to play around with my camera!

Value
    1. cheaper!!
    2. huge characters around buildings, great photo ops for daughter
    3. cheaper!!

Ok, so right now i have more pros for Poly...I am still biased.

Can anyone give me any kind of feedback or advice about which resort would be better to stay at. I would appreciate it.

I am not trying to break the bank on this trip. At most I want to spend $1,500-$2,000 total including our airfare, resort, tix, dining.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

GoofyDad is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Can't decide where to stay-Poly or Value?

I'm no Disney expert, but I'd say its relevant to your finances and how much time you'll spend at your resort. That, and the fact that the Value resorts have double beds... so if you're used to sleeping in a larger bed that can have an impact.

No doubt the Polynesian is better if you can afford it. The grounds will be better, the rooms larger, the restaurants and transportation MUCH better. Just remember that you can eat at any restaurant at any resort, so you could still have breakfast with Stitch if you stay elsewhere... and if budget is tight then staying at a Moderate or Value resort could easily save you enough to pay for all meals (and a few extras for your family.)

We'd love to stay at a Deluxe resort, but the above is why we're staying at a Moderate resort instead - the money saved for us means more souvenirs, dining, and the like.

Either way you're sure to have a great time!
    JUN 2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Star Wars Weekends)
    SEP 2011 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    MAY 2012 - Offsite single night and DHS
    DEC 2012 - Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas - Jambo House

Mike Fink is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'm not sure the Poly is a good idea if you wish to stay in budget. Rooms there are typically $400 - $500+ / night. Add airfare from Chicago, tix and food and you're probably over the line, unless you're staying one night only.

The Ohana breakfast, the luau and picture taking on the Poly grounds are all available to non-guests anyway.

I'd consider a moderate resort, perhaps Coronado Springs. Disney often offers great discounts at that resort.

Have you talked to MEI / Mousefan Travel? Tell them your budget and other parameters and they'll find the very best deal for you. No charge to you either.

Good luck. I'm sure you and your daughter will have a great time no matter what.

mickeymatt is offline B-Ticket Holder

I wish that I were in the position to even consider the Poly.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.
    -Walt Disney

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!

I'll have to agree with GoofyDad on all his points. There are definite trade offs, but if you're looking to stay within a budget, (and I would consider yours tight if it's based on a one week stay) I would be leaning more towards a value resort. We're very frugal when it comes to our trips and yet, we feel we've made very few sacrifices in comfort and convience when we've stayed at the POP--reasons being that you can still enjoy several amenities of the deluxe resorts without paying the deluxe resort price. We eat at Ohana on every trip, enjoy walks on the Poly beach, an have even taken a few dips in their pool, no questions asked.
    While I'll have to agree that the beds themselves are more comfortable at the Poly, you have to take into consideration just how much time you'll spend in them. For me personally, I've found that a POP bed is nothing my feather pillow from home won't fix. My husband, however, does start to complain of back pain after a few days. On our honeymoon, we splurged on AKL and we're very glad we did--but for a commando, in-the-parks-all-day week like we're more used to, the POP has been nothing more than a bed and a toilet to me.
    Good luck in your decision, I understand it's a difficult one!
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

I have been emailing with my travel agent from MEI (Jan is awesome!) and I think I may end up booking us at the value resort, probably All Star Movies or Pop Century, then maybe the last night stay at the Poly. Not quite sure yet.

Thanks for your feedback so far. I've only stayed on property one time before, and that was at Fort Wilderness camping in a RV/tent, which was so much fun. But, I'm not quite ready for that expereince in mid August! haha

and yes, we are plannin on going for about 6-7 days.

Mike Fink is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore79 View Post
    I have been emailing with my travel agent from MEI (Jan is awesome!) and I think I may end up booking us at the value resort, probably All Star Movies or Pop Century, then maybe the last night stay at the Poly. Not quite sure yet.

Thanks for your feedback so far. I've only stayed on property one time before, and that was at Fort Wilderness camping in a RV/tent, which was so much fun. But, I'm not quite ready for that expereince in mid August! haha

and yes, we are plannin on going for about 6-7 days.
    Great, it sounds like you're on your way. That'll be fun having one night at the Poly. You're after my heart mentioning camping at Fort Wilderness. The Poly's nice, but my favorite place to stay at WDW is in the pop-up of my VW van in Fort Wilderness. But yeah, August would be a little rough. If the heat wouldn't get you the bugs would.

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

Go with the value resorts there so much nicer and kid themed and you will deff get a good photo with those hugeee statues and such
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

I am thinking we are going to do that above plan. It seems like it would be the best option. How is the bus transportation to and from MK and Epcot from the value resorts?

ya, if it wasnt going to be soo hot in august, we would stay at ft. wilderness. maybe next year we will go before/after the dream cruise...

soarinsally is offline C-Ticket Holder

The bus service is pretty good. About every 20 minutes. One thing to consider though if you stay at the All Star Resorts - during the non peak times - on the buses they make stops at all 3 resorts. Where as at POP they only pick up at POP. So it saves you a considerable amount of time.
    Personally I have stayed at all the Value Resorts, Moderate and most of the Deluxe, and I really like the Value Resorts - especially if you are only going to be sleeping there. Why pay for all the extras if your not there.

worryfreedisney is offline A-Ticket holder

Within your budget, the Polynesian is going to be out of reach. You would be better off staying at a Value Resort and going to the Polynesian to play! You can still have the character breakfast there and still go to Spirit of Aloha. You can even swim in the pool!

Doing it this way will maximize your budget and still give you a great vacation!

Yea like soarinsally said your only sleeping there , why pay so much to sleep somewhere thats why we stay at the values
    Visits:

InStitches is offline Fastpass Holder
    Georgia, but wishing I were on the "Loveliest Village on the Plains!"

With kids, no doubt I would stay at a Value. They love the theming and we love Pop. It has been our "home" resort since the first month it opened. The kids love the pools, and now that my kids are a little older, they love taking their own pictures around the resort. This is a great resort to spend a day away from the parks just relaxing and hanging out, and we always need one of those if we are staying for a week or so.

Yea i hear ya I'm 19 and I love the pop we stayed there couple years ago, great resort!!!!!
    Visits:

mrsksomeday is offline A-Ticket holder

We love Pop Century and have stayed there several times. It really comes down to savings versus convenience. We love the colors, the icons, the peppy music, everything about Pop. The Poly is truly gorgeous and the monorail factor is wonderful. I love how cheap Pop Century is but have been talked into staying at the Poly at the end of December.

I would think that Pop Century would be a better fit for your budget. Good luck on your decision it is not easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast