Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Rumors from Chip & Co.com in the Vacation Planning forums; Hello, kids. Sorry it is so late but I have one humdinger of a rumor. Wait. I don’t actually know what a humdinger is. Nevermind. This is huge, that’s all ...
    Buzz2001 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Rumors from Chip & Co.com

Hello, kids. Sorry it is so late but I have one humdinger of a rumor.

Wait. I don’t actually know what a humdinger is. Nevermind. This is huge, that’s all you need to know. We’re hearing a couple of shocking rumors about Disney resorts.

One, we’ve heard that Disney resort managers are being told that when the Art of Animation Resort opens next year late Spring/early summer 2012, Port Orleans Riverside will no longer accept groups of five. Instead, groups of five will have to book a deluxe resort or stay at one of the Animation Suites.

Next, we’re hearing that when the Animation Suites open, the entire Polynesian Resort will be closed. That’s right, I said closed. Something about asbestos and getting rid of it. Managers have been told that Saratoga Springs and Old Key West, resorts that rarely reach capacity, will handle those guests. We’ve heard that Downtown Disney is getting a new fireworks show to make this move more attractive for Saratoga Springs visitors.

Could it be true? I’m not exactly loving these rumors, but you have to admit they’re pretty delicious.

http://www.chipandco.com/2011/04/dis...resort-rumors/

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Re: Rumors from Chip & Co.com

I'm assuming Poly would be closed only to remove the asbestos?

Not closed in the "temporarily closed" sense?

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post
    I'm assuming Poly would be closed only to remove the asbestos?

Not closed in the "temporarily closed" sense?
    Wow! That is totally possible. My Dad was a contractor that put Asbestos in and out of buildings. I've had to deal with Asbestos as a school board member, it is a pain in the tushie. OSHA visits are likely to be frequent.

You have to seal building, workers are suited and vented, air quality during removal must be constant and any airborne dust of asbestos will be the true problem, ya can't let that stuff get into any vent system.

Me? I'd close it down and would not open it again until it is done and blessed. Very possible this is a good time to deal with the resort, plenty of empty rooms.

This stuff could be in wallboard, roof, tiles, tile glue, insulation, popcorn ceilings. None of it is really threatening until it is disturbed..

Kinda sad to see POR not take 5 anymore but we only did it once and that bed on the floor is not the best. The resort was really designed for up to 4. 5 is make-shift.

**Now if the Poly buildings are loaded with all types of asbestos, it would be cheaper to level the place and start over. Leveling is costly cause they still have to use due care and gravemark all asbestos.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 04-06-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

New rumor to me. Wouldn't that also affect the Contemporary built at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Wow! That is totally possible.

**Now if the Poly buildings are loaded with all types of asbestos, it would be cheaper to level the place and start over. Leveling is costly cause they still have to use due care and gravemark all asbestos.
    It would be sad to see such a wonderful piece of the WDW landscape go just because of something as trivial as asbestos...

- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    New rumor to me. Wouldn't that also affect the Contemporary built at the same time?
    Could be. It was built in a different manner than the Poly. By how they demolished the "Wing" for the DVC I'd tend to think the Contemporary if it had asbestos it would be easier to mediate.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post
    It would be sad to see such a wonderful piece of the WDW landscape go just because of something as trivial as asbestos...

We sure can elaborate a rumor huh!

If it is true, it would be one big honking project. Even glue under tile of that era had it, yet that is one of the safest forms until you start scraping it up. If left intact and undamaged, there is little threat, now when you have to remodel or upgrade, expensive and time consuming.

disneymaniac87 is offline Counting Down To My Next Trip!

I don't know how true the Not allowing groups of five at POR would be. I feel like that is a little dramatic and would take some money away from them.

The poly rumor is possible.
    *Sarah*
    My Disney Vacations
    '92, '93, '94, '96, '97, '99, '03, '05, '06, '09, '10, '11, '12(x2)

"All you need is faith and trust..."

Quote Originally Posted by tikiman
    Talking with people at the Polynesian, they say the rumor is false. They are not closing the whole resort and as far as they are concerned none of the longhouses are being torn down. I don’t believe the reports of asbestos in the rooms since they gutted the rooms in 2002 (as seen in the photo below) and removed everything even the floors. They would have had to put asbestos back into the rooms in 2002 for there to be a problem that needed to be removed now.

The only possible thing that I have heard is that the GCH has some major issues and might need to come down. They are trying to figure out the logistics of doing that and where to move the check-in and open up places like the old Tangaroa Terrace to serve food.

Also any rumors of DVC I am told are completely untrue. Disney decided years ago that there was not enough property at the resort to build DVC and taking out buildings to build bigger DVC rooms was not desirable.
    Tikiman did say that GCH has major issues though and could be subject to demolition.

Latest entry on Chipandco.com

Hey Guys and Gals Chip here…
    I am please to report that that no good Anonymouse has had her computer taken away for spreading incorrect and outlandish rumors! On behalf of myself and the staff at C&C we apologize for providing you with incorrect information. She thought she had a reliable source for this rumor but like anything till Disney makes an announcement it is just a RUMOR.

Oh, well. That's life.

At least the Poly is safe.

- Walt Disney