Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground in the Vacation Planning forums; We are getting ready to book a spur of the moment trip for September back to WDW. It will be our first trip back since 2008 and we have stayed ...
    cozz is offline A-Ticket holder

Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground

We are getting ready to book a spur of the moment trip for September back to WDW. It will be our first trip back since 2008 and we have stayed at ASM once and POR multiple times and recently stay at the Poly in 08. In speaking with the wife and since there is 5 of us our choices are eithe the FWR Cabin or stay at the AS Music in a suite. I am leaning to Fort Wilderness but not sure how the resort will be. Any suggestions on this resort will be helpful.

queensfairy is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground

I have never stayed at FW cabins. I have stayed at the All Star Music family suites. There were five adult women that stayed in the suite during food and wine. It worked out well for us. Two shared the pull out bed, two shared the bed room, and one slept on the pull out chair bed. There were two full bathrooms that was essential to all of us getting ready! The kitchenette was great too. Mini fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. Without knowing the dynamics of your group of five it is hard for me to recommend the suite. But, for the five of us- it worked great!

elric is offline B-Ticket Holder

I have stayed at FW in 05 & 06 it by far our fav resort. the boat ride to Mk is the best. if you can rent a golfcart its so much fun running around resort grounds. renting cart off property can save alot of $. i would use youtube of resorts to help you choose

I'm always planing that next trip 2002 - 1st family trip WDW off sight, 2005- Kids B-days WDW FTW cabins, 2006- My B-day MVMCP FTW cabins,2007- MNSSHP POR, 2008- MNSSHP CBR (free dinning), 2011- CBR (free dinning)

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

My neighbors stayed at FW cabin two years ago and loved it. They rented a golf cart for the week they were there.

Mdonovan57 is offline A-Ticket holder

I'm headed down in April with my sister's family including two younger boys. Does anyone know about how far the Fort Wilderness Cabins are from the main check-in area and dining areas?

tiggerguy is online now All Around Good Guy

the cabins are spread all over the campground. there is an internal bus system that will get you to all areas.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Mdonovan57 is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks so much for the info!!

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

How is the internal bus system btw? I've stayed at Wilderness Lodge several times (my personal favorite), and we often share a bus with FW. One thing is I am not a camper, especially in the Florida heat I can't see going back to anywhere but an airconditioned hotel room (but to each their own), and I also couldn't imagine having to wait around for another bus. How does this system work? I know they are color coded, but are they efficient? Do you have to walk far?
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

The bonus of the Cabins are they have A/C, they have a living room, a blessing with 5 people and a deck area. I wouldn't cook but they do have a small kitchen for those willing to do breakfast or just for snacks and beverages. The living-room area to me is the ultimate draw.

Me or my family, no way am I spending a week on a fold out chair, I wouldn't sleep.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.