Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Polynesian vs Grand Floridian in the Vacation Planning forums; Wow! Are they talking about doing the same to The Contemporary?!...
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Polynesian vs Grand Floridian

Wow! Are they talking about doing the same to The Contemporary?!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Not that I've heard. The Contemporary was built like a fort. Not so much the wings, now wing but the main building is rock solid.

The rumors do fit. They are bringing POR down to 4 guests per room upon the opening of Animation suites. They upgraded the Contemporary already and added DVC, now GF. As much as I love the Poly you can see she outlived her life span given what she was built with in that climate and the questionable building materials of that era. The original homes hotel in DTD were built similarly and they are long gone. The Disney Inn too was taken off the Guest choice and now just for the Shades of Green.

Just the fact that they have not done a major, major rehab of that resort lends itself to the rumors might be right on. If they rebuild her in her own image I can't imagine much of an uproar. Now the time table may be adjusted...look and Pop and how long it took to do phase two.

So if I was booking right now, I'd skip the GF because of the construction and grab a stay at the Poly while the getting is good.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

But, why did they go through all those major renovations at the Poly just a few years ago? That part doesn't really make sense to me.

WinstonChapman is offline A-Ticket holder

I've stayed at both many times over the years, and in fact I've never stayed off the monorail at WDW. Given the ages of your kids, I would go for the Poly. It has a great pool and beach, good casual restaurants, and a theme that even young children can appreciate. The character breakfast at 'Ohana is popular with families, and transportation to MK is usually excellent. The rooms are spacious, and the amenities and service are excellent. The GF is definitely a more adult resort, so maybe give it a try after the kids are a bit older.
    Walt Disney World has become a touchstone for me, a constant in a world where everything changes. Again and again I have come back to this place, grounding myself, communing with all the people I've been.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    But, why did they go through all those major renovations at the Poly just a few years ago? That part doesn't really make sense to me.
    I don't think you are wrapping yourself around the difference between the resort updates and major infrastructure upgrades to a resort built in the late 60's early 70's. What were acceptable practices in schools and hotels back then, codes and materials vs of today vs yesteryear...the costs or upgrading infrastructure often out weigh the costs of just starting over. The costs of removing certain types of materials is astronomical. And even if you do payout those costs you are still left with a very old structure.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

disneyfire is offline A-Ticket holder

Havn't stayed at either but spent a ton of time at both......i personally would go with the Poly. It is an original. and that to me, makes it much more "Disney"ish.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I don't think you are wrapping yourself around the difference between the resort updates and major infrastructure upgrades to a resort built in the late 60's early 70's. What were acceptable practices in schools and hotels back then, codes and materials vs of today vs yesteryear...the costs or upgrading infrastructure often out weigh the costs of just starting over. The costs of removing certain types of materials is astronomical. And even if you do payout those costs you are still left with a very old structure.
    I guess I'm not, because to me it sounds like re-upholstering your car just before you send it to the crusher. A huge waste of money.

What am I missing?

julielizabet is offline A-Ticket holder

I must admit, I've never heard so much negativity about the Polynesian! It is our favorite resort, it is immensely popular, and anyone who knows Disney knows they don't let things get "dirty," "old," or "worn." That's one thing you can be sure of with any WDW resort. If you book at the Poly, you will NOT be disappointed. It's got the best beach of any resort on property (hands down), beautiful lush landscaping unlike any other resort on property, and, well, tonga toast! Torch lighting ceremony, ambience, great for the kids... Best of all for many is monorail and launch access, and you can walk right to the TTC. The resort's fairly small so nothing is too far away. And you've got quick access to restaurants at all 3 monorail resorts plus the WL by launch. Hard to beat it. Sadly, we won't be able to easily stay there in the future b/c I'm expecting #4. Oh, and we have stayed there over Christmastime (early Dec.) more than once. Did I mention the Neverland Club for the kids? Even CMs I've spoken to talk about it as a resort they are lucky to be based at.

my3es is offline A-Ticket holder

poly for sure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12