Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Polynesian vs Grand Floridian in the Vacation Planning forums; The age old question, which of these deluxe titans do you prefer? Which would be better with two girls, ages 7 and 2? And which is better during the holidays?...
    BeachClub2011 is offline A-Ticket holder

Polynesian vs Grand Floridian

The age old question, which of these deluxe titans do you prefer? Which would be better with two girls, ages 7 and 2? And which is better during the holidays?

Previous trips: Disneyland '87, '88, '90x2
    Disneyland Paris '94- Sequoia Lodge
    WDW '95-Dixie Landings, '96-Disney Institue, '97-Caribbean Beach, '98-Old Key West, '99-Coronado Springs

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Polynesian vs Grand Floridian

I stayed at Polynesian back in January 2002 and wasn't at all impressed. It seemd old and dirty. If they've given it the much-needed improvement that it so badly needed since then, fantastic. I've never stayed at Grand Floridan because it doesn't seem very "Disney" to me.

But lobby-wise though, I prefer Polynesian over Grand Floridian.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Love That Duck is offline D-Ticket Holder

That is a tough one.

I stayed at The Poly in 2002, before refurb, and the room was worn. But, I love The Poly for everything else it has to offer. We had a wonferful time. Although I haven't stayed at The Poly since the refurb, the phots I've seen look nice.

I also love the GF and visit and/or dine there every visit to WDW and it's BEAUTIFUL at the holidays. It might be nice for the girls because of the decorations. Also, there are no stops on the monorail going from the GF to the MK.

The Poly is also decorated at the holidays but nothing like the GF. And, depending on when you are going for the holidays, the GF has special holiday happenings the kids might enjoy.

Let us know what you decide!

Nancy
    ~Jerry & Nancy~

Sept. 3 - Sunrise WEDDING Vow Renewal then Drive to WDW
    Sept. 4-16, 2011 - WDW HONEYMOON:
    Sept 4-9 - Pop Century
    Sept. 10-16 - Caribbean Beach

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Those are the exact two we were trying to decide between for our honeymoon. The GF has won out because based on reviews it seems to make the biggest deal of special occasions/take care of you best, it has king size beds (in the poly only the biggest suits do, but obviously this isn't an issue for your family), and a hot tub is a must for my fiance- even in august. I did a ton of research and the GF just had better reviews and the poly rooms just seem so dark and 70ish. We are planning on walking over lots for kona breakfasts though! The GF has the huge gingerbread house during the holidays which would be nice, and if your girls are into princesses than the princess tea party would be great! I bet either one would be a great choice though

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I actually have to agree with supernova on this one. We stayed at the Poly last year. It was nice, but I was left rather unimpressed. Odd too, since I had always wanted to stay there since I was a kid. Always loved passing under those wood beams every time we left the MK.

I think part of the problem was that we stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Resort a couple of years ago, and when it comes to the "lush tropical" indoor atrium theme, that resort is pretty much the benchmark. Not really fair to try to compare the Poly to that, but I couldn't help it.

That said, the only resort I'll stay at anymore is the Contemporary. It doesn't have quite the same atmosphere that it used to, but to me it's the most "Disney" of all the resorts even without the overt theme-ing that all the others have. To me it's always personified that "retro-future" "city of tomorrow" look and feel that has always been my favorite aspect of WDW.

In the end, sadly enough, I'd have to rank the Poly as the 3rd best of the monorail line resorts.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I stayed at Polynesian back in January 2002 and wasn't at all impressed. It seemd old and dirty. If they've given it the much-needed improvement that it so badly needed since then, fantastic. I've never stayed at Grand Floridan because it doesn't seem very "Disney" to me.

But lobby-wise though, I prefer Polynesian over Grand Floridian.
    Mike,

i stayed at poly in 2009 and it seemed to be cleaned up compared to other trips i had taken through the lobby in the past... my family stayed there for 2 weeks and loved it there...

personally i am not a fan of the GF... your right it seems not really "Disneyish" to me... if i am gonna stay at a Disney resort, though i dont want Mickey ears every where i turn, i do want a sense of being in WDW while i am staying here... thats why i chose Poly...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Hmmmm, I don't see how more or less "Disney-ish" the Poly and GF are.

The sister lands would be Adventure and Main Street (same era) respectively, and are both very well themed, IMO.

Grand hotels that used to dot both coasts are slowly becoming extinct, so it's nice to actually be able to (somewhat) experience what they were all about.

Prince Charming is offline B-Ticket Holder

Polynesian vs Grand Floridian

I have stayed at both of these resorts, during the holiday season, and I would recommend the GF. The decorations are beautiful! The main building is very busy, with the character dining, wedding photos, and other visiting guests site seeing, etc., but the back buildings are usually quiet throughout your stay.

Also, if your kids are too tired to watch Wishes you can always sit outside around the dock for some great views!

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom!

jimbo71 is offline A-Ticket holder

Been to events at the Polynesian and they have been very nice, stayed there years ago when there were only two resort hotels (yikes...that dates me) Haven't stayed there recently but enjoyed the Grand Floridian. It was great during the holidays. That would be my choice between the two.

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

These are two resorts we have on our "wish list". We have yet to stay at either one. However, we have visited the resorts during the holidays.

The Grand Floridian is beautifully decorated for the holidays with a big tree in the main foyer and a life-size gingerbread house. So, it is a great place to visit with the kids.

However for a stay, I would choose the Polynesian resort. It seems to be more kid-friendly. JMO The resort is mildly decorated with a tree in the foyer and garland strung near the entrance.

Have a magical trip!
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

dramaqueenk is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'm gonna go with Floridian on this one-have to say i have never stayed at either, but eaten at both and had a walk around. Not really impressed with Polynesian, even after refurb was never really a fan of the decor, the way the rooms look like motel rooms etc

The Floridian is just too beautiful! Plus the girls can dream about one day getting married in the wedding pavilion like i have all these years...
    dramaqueenk

"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
    Walt Disney

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

I like the Poly for the pool, food and theme
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Thom Morrow is offline B-Ticket Holder

I stayed at GF a LONG time ago, and I remember being in a separate building from the main one and it having a feel of an adult place (I was probably 14ish). We did have some swanky robes though.

I feel like kids would enjoy Polynesian more. Tonga Toast, beach and an awesome pool, fireworks on said beach, etc. If you want to take advantage of anything at the GF, it's a short hop on the monorail, so you can get there quick.

I have always wanted to stay at the Polynesian, but as much as I love it, I kind of feel like the price is a bit too high despite all it offers. That doesn't stop me from stopping in, which is the best thing about staying on property, IMO. You can experience other resorts easily without having to stay there. Except Stormalong. That pool and I have been estranged for far too long.

Other than the main building, the Poly just didn't really grab me. I wonder if some of it had to do with the fact that I grew up on the coast of Florida, so the beach/tropical atmosphere wasn't something that I would find captivating.

Agreed on Stormalong, though. I may have to break my promise of only staying on the monorail line one of these trips just to experience it!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I like the Poly better, GF too stuffy for my like'n. The rumors are still flying that GF will get updated and grow, POR will be totally refurbished and Animation resort at Pop will be completed and then here goes the Poly.
    Still hearing that they will topple that resort and rebuild it in its own likeness. Poly Resort being closed for several years. Reasoning that there is old construction materials that need to abated and a major rehab would cost more than starting over.

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    Those are the exact two we were trying to decide between for our honeymoon. The GF has won out because based on reviews it seems to make the biggest deal of special occasions/take care of you best, it has king size beds (in the poly only the biggest suits do, but obviously this isn't an issue for your family), and a hot tub is a must for my fiance- even in august. I did a ton of research and the GF just had better reviews and the poly rooms just seem so dark and 70ish. We are planning on walking over lots for kona breakfasts though! The GF has the huge gingerbread house during the holidays which would be nice, and if your girls are into princesses than the princess tea party would be great! I bet either one would be a great choice though
    I'd look into the dates of your Honeymoon and the major construction happening at GF during that time frame. Might not want your Honeymoon palace to resemble the current Fantasyland construction sights, sounds or walls. The Spa will be closed for 18 months.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast