Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Leave those old mugs at home! New drink station currently being tested at WDW resort. in the Vacation Planning forums; Well, it's about time! Disney has always made it very clear that resort mugs are for the duration of the current trip only. Guest cannot plead ignorance. Still, every trip ...
    Love That Duck is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: Leave those old mugs at home! New drink station currently being tested at WDW res

Well, it's about time! Disney has always made it very clear that resort mugs are for the duration of the current trip only. Guest cannot plead ignorance. Still, every trip I see people filling up old resort mugs, plain cups, etc. It's just wrong.

For me personally, resort mugs are a special part of every Disney trip. Yes, even when the mugs haven't changed, LOL. I love collecting them and using them at home between Disney trips.

It seems so simple...if you think it's a rip off to buy the mug for just one stay, don't buy the mug!

Just 49 days until our next set of resort mugs for our collection

Nancy
    ~Jerry & Nancy~

Sept. 3 - Sunrise WEDDING Vow Renewal then Drive to WDW
    Sept. 4-16, 2011 - WDW HONEYMOON:
    Sept 4-9 - Pop Century
    Sept. 10-16 - Caribbean Beach

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Leave those old mugs at home! New drink station currently being tested at WDW res

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    Soda fountains are very cheap, the mark-up is incredible, whether at Disney, the ball park, or a movie theater. For a unit cost measured in pennies, you are paying a premium for a large soda. Look at local gas stations. Over the summer, they will have a special any size .99 cent soda and still turn a profit. Why not just build that minuscle cost into the resort stay cost and pass out the mugs at check in.
    The voice of reason. Fountain drinks have the biggest mark-up in the restaurant industry. Boxes of syrup are cheap enough, considering they mix with the water line. This is why restaurants will refresh your drink and not your filet mignon.

I always (hear me, Disney??) ALWAYS carry in my own water bottle and refill it with ice and water in the parks. I cannot see spending upwards of $3 or more on bottle water in the parks. Even at home, I'll buy a case of water and take it to the office, rather than spending a dollar each time I want water. $3.99 for a case of 24 bottles versus $24 for the same number of bottles just doesn't seem right.

I'd be more than happy to drink out of the water fountains in the parks, as long as they were cold enough, if Orlando's tap water didn't taste like it comes right out of the toilet. Two words to fix the taste, Orlando... Water Treatment.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder

Ah, nothing like a good old refillable mug thread to get the juices flowing!

Quote Originally Posted by Love That Duck View Post
    Disney has always made it very clear that resort mugs are for the duration of the current trip only.
    Actually that is not true. I wish we would have had a digital camera, taking pictures of everything back on our first family trip in 1998. But alas I have no photo evidence or a deposition from a CM, so I cannot prove what I know is true...that the mugs were explicitly to be used "forever" when we bought them in 1998.

No, we haven't used those mugs for many years. I've asked CM's about this over the years and they admit that they have no way of policing the mugs from when they changed the policy since they also didn't change the mug design. They can't tell when a mug was purchased, so they tend to look the other way.

I suppose the new technology will put an end to The Great Mug Debate.

Pity.

Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerguy View Post
    so it is okay to steal "free" or low cost stuff?? it is still stealing
    As if Disney hasn't made up their money in other ways. Until they can solidify this solution, they can expect to see my mug again this trip as well. For a while, I was even using my old Wilderness Lodge mug to refill and was never chased away.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

From MousePlanet.com weekly update:

More on the refillable mug test

We are hearing some more about possible reasons for the testing of a new RFID system for refillable mugs. It seems that some guests wouldn't even buy a mug or a single-use disposable paper cup, but would actually use popcorn boxes, condiment containers, or even their own cups from home instead of paying for a soda in the first place. The reports that we're hearing note that the paper cups are good for two hours, while the refillable mugs are good for 14 days. If for some reason a guest stays beyond 14 days, they would be able to get a new mug at no charge to allow them to use it for the rest of their vacation.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Granny View Post

Actually that is not true. I wish we would have had a digital camera, taking pictures of everything back on our first family trip in 1998. But alas I have no photo evidence or a deposition from a CM, so I cannot prove what I know is true...that the mugs were explicitly to be used "forever" when we bought them in 1998.
    You are correct. The first ones I have were forever cups. The vast majority of our various Resort Cups that I've collected were sold as
    Length of Stay mugs.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Billwht3 is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    To me, this is kinda Nazi-ish of Disney. They're already getting all their soda juice from Coca-Cola free of charge; so the $5 you spend on a small Coke is already 100% pure profit straight to Disney. Heck, they could expand Fantasyland with the profits on sodas for a year alone.
    I am curious as to where you got "this" idea from? Neither Disney nor Coke are listed as "non profit " organizations

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    From MousePlanet.com weekly update:

More on the refillable mug test

We are hearing some more about possible reasons for the testing of a new RFID system for refillable mugs. It seems that some guests wouldn't even buy a mug or a single-use disposable paper cup, but would actually use popcorn boxes, condiment containers, or even their own cups from home instead of paying for a soda in the first place. The reports that we're hearing note that the paper cups are good for two hours, while the refillable mugs are good for 14 days. If for some reason a guest stays beyond 14 days, they would be able to get a new mug at no charge to allow them to use it for the rest of their vacation.
    Sadly, PEOPLE have ruined the honor system at the resort soda fountains. In the real world, people would never bring a mug from last season/year to a Six Flags and expect them to refill it for 99 cents. Why should Disney do the same and for free noneless?

Yes, you do pay a premium for the mugs (unless on the DDP). You know the cost up front and whether it works for you. No one is forcing guests to buy the mugs. Heck! I haven't bought one in five years. We do just fine bringing our own water and soda to keep in our room.

Now this new system might not work for a really thirsty guest. I used to fill my mug, drink about half right away and refill it. Then enjoy my meal and then refill it before we left the food court. With this new system, you wouldn't be able to do that (refill every five minutes). I know why they do it, but it does stink!
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

We really need to combine the 3 different threads we have on this now. I can't keep up with who's argument is what anymore.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz2001 View Post
    Could this Become Disney’s Future Refillable Mug Technology?

No and I'll tell you why . . .

We were at the Food and Wine Festival at Disney's California Adventure in 2010. They had one of these machines there. Yes, the idea sounds cool. However, it kept breaking down and it was VERY frustrating trying to get a drink. Coca Cola really needs to test this concept more before putting it in the public's hands. From what I saw, I would take a cherry coke already made and mixed over this machine that is supposed to do the same thing. I guarantee the restaurants that have these machines, still have a regular soda fountain nearby.

My husband at the Coca Cola Freestyle Machine (He ended up just getting a Coke Zero.)

Also, this type of machine take too long to make the drinks and the person in front of you take too long in making their selection. That means, less time someone is in a park spending money or enjoying an attraction. Disney is into making money you know.

The only place on Disney property I ever see this being placed is Club Cool at Epcot. It's a gimmick and would fit in perfectly with the Coca Cola products from around the world. JMHO

Who knows, I could be wrong. Only time will tell . . .
    Last edited by TXTaylors5; 08-02-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)

"Sparkly"

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    We really need to combine the 3 different threads we have on this now. I can't keep up with who's argument is what anymore.
    Upcoming Disney Trips:

"Sparkly"

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

Quote Originally Posted by TXTaylors5 View Post
    Sadly, PEOPLE have ruined the honor system at the resort soda fountains. In the real world, people would never bring a mug from last season/year to a Six Flags and expect them to refill it for 99 cents. Why should Disney do the same and for free noneless?

Yes, you do pay a premium for the mugs (unless on the DDP). You know the cost up front and whether it works for you. No one is forcing guests to buy the mugs. Heck! I haven't bought one in five years. We do just fine bringing our own water and soda to keep in our room.

Now this new system might not work for a really thirsty guest. I used to fill my mug, drink about half right away and refill it. Then enjoy my meal and then refill it before we left the food court. With this new system, you wouldn't be able to do that (refill every five minutes). I know why they do it, but it does stink!

I have never stayed on property to use a resort mug, but i totally agree with the point made. if you purchase the mug, it is supposed to be only for you, only during your time at the resort.

if you go to someplace in the "real" world, and buy a drink....say....subway. you get your drink while you are there, maybe a refill or two while you are eating, then you usually throw the cup away! you dont take it home with you and then bring it back with you next time you are there thinking its ok to refill it since you bought it before? right? you most definatly would get in trouble for that.

i think that since people have gotten dishonest with the use of the mug system, it is a good thing that Disney is testing this new procedure. and we have to remember this "is just a test". its not permanant. just a test.

i personally think that if it comes down to Disney making this a perm. decision i think that is great. they are a buisness after all and have to maintain their expenses.

and if you are that thirsty, you should drink more water between your pop refills!!!!

now on my upcoming trip we are staying at asmov and we do plan on buying a mug for each of us (3 of us total) i'll give you my opinion on the system when i return.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

They'd better get this new system installed into Wilderness Lodge before December 11th, otherwise they'll be seeing my mug from seven years ago back for another round of refills.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    As if Disney hasn't made up their money in other ways. Until they can solidify this solution, they can expect to see my mug again this trip as well. For a while, I was even using my old Wilderness Lodge mug to refill and was never chased away.
    it seems as though Disney is trying to mechanically do what they couldnt or wouldnt do personally... tell people that they cant use it... in my opinion... they opened themselves up to what happens now... if they were stricter with the length of stay mug then they wouldnt feel the necessity to do this now... personally i didnt do it... mostly because i never really though of it... but i never saw it as a big deal... the people who brought their own mugs were better prepared than i was...

we cant have an issue with it if Disney didnt then... now... it seems they always had an issue with it... they were just trying to be customer friendly...

remember what they always say... "the customer is always right..."
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Or in this case, the customer is always thirsty. Or thrifty. Either way, it works.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast