Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Leave those old mugs at home! New drink station currently being tested at WDW resort. in the Vacation Planning forums; Unlimited Fill Mugs You know the resort mugs that Disney has had for years? You could purchase them and then refill them as often as you like for the length ...
    TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

Leave those old mugs at home! New drink station currently being tested at WDW resort.

Unlimited Fill Mugs
    You know the resort mugs that Disney has had for years? You could purchase them and then refill them as often as you like for the length of your stay. Well, unfortunately, too many guests have cheated the system for too long, bring the mugs back from previous visits, bringing non-Disney mugs or using "water" cups to get drinks from the fountains. Disney has begun installation on a new drink machine with software to restrict and limit use of the fountains for only currently valid mugs. Once you purchase a mug, it will allow you to refill your drink for a certain duration (which is probably longer than you are staying there) on their machines. In fact, these machines will dispense a certain amount of soft drink, from any combination every five minutes. Older mugs will not work on the new machines and will not dispense anything but ice and water for the expired mugs, just like a glorified water cup. If you buy an individual drink cup from the location instead of a mug, it will work for a certain period of time while you dine, but not for a long period after your meal. Other resorts have used the same set up (Dollywood for example) but no one has tried this system on the scale which would be required at Disney. Disney's All-Star Sports End Zone Food Court is the first and only Disney Resort to currently use this system.

It should be interesting to see how this test period works out and if it is picked up and begins to appear in more resorts. The Disney Dining Plan (regardless of type) may include mugs next year.

(As reported by micechat.com)
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Leave those old mugs at home! New drink station currently being tested at WDW res

Hallelujah!

This has been an on going debate on the threads for years. People I generally agree with and enjoy had very different opinions than I did.

WDW Refillable resort mugs

We have stayed mostly at moderate hotels but have stayed at a number of deluxe hotels and once at a value, Pop. We saw this enough at the Value, reusable and other various cups. Saw it at least every meal at the Moderate hotels by some guest. Yet I cannot recall seeing it happen at the Deluxe hotels. Wonder if it is because the value hotels have guests with tighter budgets and beverages are expensive? Or if you are going to splurge on a Deluxe Hotel a soda is cheap in comparison to what you just forked over for a night at the Beach Club?

I'm guessing there is a reason why they are testing Version Two of these cups at a value resort. Guessing the cost of the cups will go up again to cover the expense of installing security soda.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Leave those old mugs at home! New drink station currently being tested at WDW res

Soda fountains are very cheap, the mark-up is incredible, whether at Disney, the ball park, or a movie theater. For a unit cost measured in pennies, you are paying a premium for a large soda. Look at local gas stations. Over the summer, they will have a special any size .99 cent soda and still turn a profit. Why not just build that minuscle cost into the resort stay cost and pass out the mugs at check in.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

To me, this is kinda Nazi-ish of Disney. They're already getting all their soda juice from Coca-Cola free of charge; so the $5 you spend on a small Coke is already 100% pure profit straight to Disney. Heck, they could expand Fantasyland with the profits on sodas for a year alone.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

its about time they got smart and decided to test this out, tooo many ppl cheat this
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    Soda fountains are very cheap, the mark-up is incredible, whether at Disney, the ball park, or a movie theater. For a unit cost measured in pennies, you are paying a premium for a large soda. Look at local gas stations. Over the summer, they will have a special any size .99 cent soda and still turn a profit. Why not just build that minuscle cost into the resort stay cost and pass out the mugs at check in.
    That is the same for just about anything at Disney.
    Case of water at Sam's $5.00, $2.50 at parksfor a bottle. Case of Hot Dogs at Sam's $6.00, one hot dog at Disney around $7. Look what we pay to park a car or rent a stroller.The list is endless.

I still have found the refillable cups to be a bargain. If we use them 3 times a day over a week we are saving a great deal over the per cup price. We use them in the morning, when we return from the park and around the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    To me, this is kinda Nazi-ish of Disney. They're already getting all their soda juice from Coca-Cola free of charge; so the $5 you spend on a small Coke is already 100% pure profit straight to Disney. Heck, they could expand Fantasyland with the profits on sodas for a year alone.
    I do not find any type of security to stop stealing and shoplifting to be Nazi-ish actually it is more Nazi-ish to take something that someone else owns just 'cause you personally want it. Taking something you have not paid for that is sold to other guests is stealing no matter how it is spun.

Now I am surprised the free coke to Disney is still being told. It is an over simplification and at best and very misleading to only state half of the agreement Coke has with ballparks, Disney, etc. A simple google search will explain in detail however the contract calls for vendors to buy their cups from Coke when the liquid is free. Coke's profit margin on the cups makes up for any product donated.

Are you greatly embellishing the $5 for a small coke at Disney? I have not been there this year? Guess I could go check AllEars.com menus.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

I understand that people are cheating the system, but come on! Disney is getting way to strict over silly things...its a Soda, not a free day in the park! I'll admit I've used my mugs from previous trips at the resorts, but considering how much you pay for those mugs, you should be able to use them again. Sorry, but I think this is pushing it.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder

I have no problem paying for a soda. I spend whatever it costs and move on. If you don't want to buy remember this: THEY LET U BRING FOOD AND DRINKS IN THE PARK! Simple fix...bring you're own. There is a gas station across the street from DD and that place is cheap for a convience store.
    10/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    01/2013 Beach Club Resort
    11/2012 Saratoga Springs
    04/2012 Old Key West
    02/2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    12/2011 Downtown Disney Buena Vista Palace
    09/2011 Wilderness Lodge
    05/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    09/2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2010 Bonnet Creek
    10/2009 Coronado/Old Key West
    05/2009 Saratoga Springs
    03/2009 Old Key West
    01/2009 Saratoga Springs
    11/2008 Offsite
    09/2008 Offsite
    05/2008 Caribbean Resort
    03/2008 offsite
    01/2008 offsite
    11/2007 off site
    05/2007 offsite

Quote Originally Posted by Tmntrans View Post
    THEY LET U BRING FOOD AND DRINKS IN THE PARK! Simple fix...bring you're own.
    I started a thread just on that matter the other day. Check it out HERE
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)

"Sparkly"

I used to think to myself that our trips to WDW were expensive. Between the park tickets, the lodging, travel expenses and food . . . we probably could have put all three of our kids through Harvard by now! However, that was before we had a tween daughter. I am NOT complaining about WDW prices anymore! After forking over $100 + (It was well over a hundred for each ticket and I got SIX!!! Let me just leave it at that ... my husband reads these boards. ) for Taylor Swift tickets, the "real world" can be just as expensive as WDW.
    Upcoming Disney Trips:

"Sparkly"

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i do agree its a bit much.. but when the honor system isnt working i dont blame them.. after all if you didnt buy the mug on this trip you shouldnt be reusing it, so technically its stealing.. whether its coke, a piece of gum or a pen or $100 cash.. its still not right
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Buzz2001 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Could this Become Disney’s Future Refillable Mug Technology?

Coca-Cola Freestyle machines, the latest in soda-fountain technology, are popping up across Florida. The touch-screen machines, which offer more than 120 variations of Coke-brand soft drinks, are already in use locally at nine Volusia County Burger Kings; a half-dozen Moes Southwest Grills in Orlando, Melbourne and Volusia County; a couple of Firehouse Subs (in Lake Mary and Daytona Beach); the AMC megaplex at Downtown Disney; and the Richters Burgers in Universal Orlando’s CityWalk complex.

Thirsty customers place their cups inside the machine, then choose from a variety of soda, sport-drink and water options on the touch screen. Some options include drinks that aren’t sold anywhere else, such as Coke with orange flavoring or Sprite with peach.

The machines are able to track which types of drinks are the best sellers and at what peak times, Redler said. The machines also submit work orders when refills are needed and alert Coke headquarters when something is wrong.

Buzz2001 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I have two thoughts on this matter.

If Disney goes with this new technology resort wide, why don't they come up with a way to add to my room key that I paid the $13.99 and just allow me to get drinks at my home resort for the length of my stay. Then people who split there stay won't have to worry about buying a second mug at the next resort.

Or

If people do not want to end up with 20 mugs over the years of visiting WDW, allow me to bring my mug back, charge me a reduced price ($6.99) and update my chip so that so that I can get drinks at my home resort for the length of my stay.

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys

so it is okay to steal "free" or low cost stuff?? it is still stealing
    Last edited by tiggerguy; 07-16-2011 at 07:09 AM.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i like your ideas buzz
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast