Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Family of Five in the Vacation Planning forums; I tried a search to see if this topic has been discussed but didn't get much specific so I was hoping to start a discussion on staying on site with ...
    zark72 is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Family of Five

I tried a search to see if this topic has been discussed but didn't get much specific so I was hoping to start a discussion on staying on site with a family of five. We've stayed on property 3 times in the past 3 years, and quickly realized there aren't a lot of non-deluxe options out there for five people.

So this is a call out for others like myself, are there other options you like when staying on property? Right now the kids are 4, 6, and 8 so trundles and fold outs are fine but there will be day when it's not. I really think Disney is missing out on a demographic with limited value choices.

Personally, of the 3 places we stayed (CT, Poly and BC) we thought CT and Poly were best due to the size of the room and the "true" bed that you get with the fold out couch. I was really disappointed this last time with the "daybed" at the BC after experiencing the fold outs previously.

Love to hear other's thoughts, opinions and experiences on the subject.

Thanks!!!

gooftroop is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Family of Five

Have you looked into the cabins? I haven't stayed there but have been at the camp grounds and they are very nice. Also All Music have family suites which are nice. We had lots of room to move around. Allears.net is a great place to get more info on them! :0) I hope this helps.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Probably one of my biggest frustrations is that if you have a large family you are limited to deluxe resorts, villas, cabins or multiple rooms. I was soooo thankful to find out that Port Orleans Riverside's rooms are "big enough" by law to allow booking 5 people (which is why we're staying there in September). I couldn't agree more that it'd be a wonderful thing to make some larger rooms, in non-Deluxe settings.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Double post
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Sorry, our family of 5 switched to vacation homes a few years back. A couple of teenage daughters requires more than one, preferably 3, bathrooms to get ready in the morning.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

We are a family of 6 and always have this problem- because there is no option available. We looked at the value suites as an option but read where one of the "beds" was a chair and ottoman. My children couldn't have fit on that.

Two rooms worked well with that second bathroom but that was only because the youngre two were okay with taking a bath in the evening. Once everyone wants a shower in the morning, I don't know what we will do.

And I don't get how you would want people to be uncomfortable sleeping on a piece of furniture. That might make them cranky, have a bad experience, and not return. (good for the rest of us but not good business sense). Apparently whoever designs these rooms doesn't have children or has never slept on these furniture items.

ImaMouser is offline D-Ticket Holder

Aren't the new Animator's Palate next to POP Century going to be family suites? I'm not sure what the dynamics are going to be.
    Walt is the man, Mickey is the mouse but Minnie is THE WOMAN

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ImaMouser View Post
    Aren't the new Animator's Palate next to POP Century going to be family suites? I'm not sure what the dynamics are going to be.

Yes they are! I believe all rooms can sleep up to 5 people, so Disney is listening to these issues. My family swtiched to DVC membership because we are a family of 6 (who likes to take extended family with us) and the price was just becoming too much. We own a 2BR Villa at Boardwalk and it is well worth it if you visit often. I am glad to see they are making a more affordable option for larger families.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder

Buying a DVC reservation (commonly referred to as "renting DVC points") is a good way to get a room to sleep five or more. The 1 bedroom suites of some of the DVC resorts (Bay Lake Tower, Animal Kingdom - Kidani Village, and Old Key West) were designed to handle five people with a fold out sofa and fold out chair in the "family room" part of the suite.

Or you could move up to a 2 bedroom villa once your family gets a little larger. Those nominally are designed to handle 8 or 9 guests, though personally we get them for our family of four.

Buying these reservations through DVC members has some risk, since it is not a transaction with Disney or any accredited travel agent. But it is a good way to save money on deluxe accommodations. And with those accommodations that I described you get a full kitchen to save money on food if you like. Also a washer/dryer in the room.

Just another option for a family of five. Good luck!
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

The only thing is, and I'm sure it'll be the case of the suites at the new value resort, the whole chair bed and sofa bed are still part of the plan. If you have small children that's fine but definitely a family of 5 or 6 that is all over 13 is still cramped even in those.

Seems to me that they really have an opportunity here to bring in more money, and they are missing it. Most families would rather pay more for a larger room. Two rooms at a value resort is still way less than they could charge.

Great input so far, thank you all very much! Unfortunately though I'm getting the reinforced of what I already assumed.

We've been real fortunate over the past 3 years or so with usually getting 40% of the deluxe rooms and/or free dining (the room discount is typically better we find) but as of late it feels like the discount opportunities are drying up, which is now starting to make DVC a little more attractive.

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by zark72 View Post
    Great input so far, thank you all very much! Unfortunately though I'm getting the reinforced of what I already assumed.

We've been real fortunate over the past 3 years or so with usually getting 40% of the deluxe rooms and/or free dining (the room discount is typically better we find) but as of late it feels like the discount opportunities are drying up, which is now starting to make DVC a little more attractive.
    We are a family of five. After squeezing into the regular WDW resort rooms for years, we took a DVC tour on a whim. We had a down day and the in-park DVC Agent promised child care, fastpasses and free ice cream. Plus, I wanted to know "Disney's Best Kept Secret". Well, that's all it took. After seeing the space with a two-bedroom villa, I was sold. Also, having the full kitchen and washer and dryer in the room was a BIG selling point for me. I throw the wet bathing suits in the dryer or a load in to wash while heading out to a park. It has really cut back on how much we pack. I wish we had done it sooner!

Now, you don't have to be a DVC Member to stay in a DVC Villa. Walt Disney World Resort pulls aside some of the room to book as a regular room. However, they are expensive. We've found renting points from a DVC Member is a lot cheaper! There is a great reputable site that does just that . . .

David's Disney Vacation Club Rentals

He is very quick to respond and tries to get you into your desired resort for your desired price.

Have a magical trip!
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

Just was at the Starwood Hotels site getting rates for Sawn / Dolphin and noticed that no where did they ask how many children would be staying. Since my kids are still young (and small) enough to fit 3 in a bed, I'm wondering if this is an option. Has anyone here ever brought 2 adults and 3 kids to a room at the Swan / Dolphin or is there a rule somewhere that I missed that limits the guests per room to 4?

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

And it just isn't family of five plus. Once the kiddo's are bigger you are not putting teen boys and girls in the same bed. We have traveled with 5 and have had the best experience with the Contemporary. The extra bed is a nice bed and the rooms in the tower a bigger than most for a standard room.

We have used the Trundle in Riverside however note the trundles are going away when the the animation suites open. We have had the best of luck with renting two rooms at POR. It got even better when they added the thick and heavy curtain that can divide the bath/sink area from the sleeping area. Blessing for changing. When we stay at POR with just our family of 4, we usually book near the pool. I'm not really good at waiting my turn as the family trips over each other to use the facilities.
    I can often be found in the bathhouse by the pool. Quick, done and off to the parks.

I've looked into the Cabins and they are also a great alternative.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

TiggerRPh is offline E-Ticket Holder

I have never stayed at the Family Suites but I think with a family of 5 that 2 value rooms would be better. With 2 Value rooms you get 4 beds…actual beds. The Family Suites gives you one bed, a sleeper sofa and a sleeper chair. It's not like you're saving a lot of money for the suite over 2 rooms.
    Ray

DVC Member - Since 1995
    Old Key West

M-I-C-K-E-Y....I'm a Disney freak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast