Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Coronado Resort Question in the Vacation Planning forums; Is the CSR a regular WDW resort just like all of the other onsite resorts? How come they weren't included in the DDP for so long and why are some ...
    ecmickey is offline B-Ticket Holder

Coronado Resort Question

Is the CSR a regular WDW resort just like all of the other onsite resorts? How come they weren't included in the DDP for so long and why are some of their personnel not CMs (like the employees of the Business Center)? It just seems like the more I read about it, the more exceptions and differences there are from other Disney Resorts (although I like what I've learned about it and I really want to stay there sometime). Thanks for any info you can give me. Probably I should thank you in advance, Buzz, because I know that you'll have some good info for me!
    "How high can a sycamore grow; if you cut it down then you will never know."

Disney_Dan is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Coronado Resort Question

I've stayed at CSR twice with the most recent trip being in 2006. It is a real Disney resort but the major difference is the convention center. Also, Rix lounge, Maya Grill, and the Business Ctr are operated by a third party company (the same company that manages San Angel Inn & Hacienda). When we stayed in 2006 the only time we could tell it was a convention resort was when we went to the pepper market to eat... We were swarmed by a cheerleading group! Since '06 I know there has been some great improvements to the rooms.

Hope this helps!

Buzz2001 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Yes, CSR is a regular Disney resort with a twist. First, CSR is WDW's first moderate convention resort. GF, Y&BC, BW, CR and the Swan and Dolphin are also convention resorts but CSR is the first in the moderate category.

Secondly, the restaurants at the CSR are operated by Palmas Services, the same company that runs the restaurants at Epcot in the Mexican pavilion. So since the restaurants are operated by an outside company, it takes them longer to negotiate the terms of the DDP. CSR is and always has been included in the DDP but they are never included in the first draft copy of the brochure. Last year, CSR didn't get added until late December 2010 for 2011.

Last, the business center used to be operated by WDW employees but two or three years ago they were outsourced to Ikon Business Solutions. I can only assume this is a cost savings measure for the company.

Buzz2001 is offline C-Ticket Holder

ps - because of the convention aspect of the resort, CSR offers some deluxe type amenities. CSR is the only resort to offer a dance club on site in the Rix Lounge (voted most trendy club in Orlando), a small spa, salon, fitness center (accessible 24/7 with your room key), queen beds (though now POFQ and POR will as well) and a full menu room service menu (costly).

bigthundermicky is offline C-Ticket Holder

LOVE CSR. Stayed there once in 2001 ( 2 months after 9/11 ). It was awesome! The resort was near deserted because of the current events of the time. I recieved the same Disney hospitality that I have at every other resort. The Pepper Market, albeit a tad more expensive, is the one of the best "counter service" restaurants on property. Largest hot tub on property as well.