Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Online v. Onsite Check-in in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by BamaJenn Hi Miffy! In looking at the posts since yours, I didn't see an answer to your question so I figured I'd jump in. The only things ...
    grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Online v. Onsite Check-in

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Hi Miffy! In looking at the posts since yours, I didn't see an answer to your question so I figured I'd jump in. The only things you can request via online check-in are things like a fridge, a trundle, a pack-n-play etc. and a room on the first floor. You cannot request a building location etc. though. Not sure how Jamie managed that one?

My two cents: Online check-in is something I will always use going forward. Not only does it almost always result in less of a wait in the lobby BUT if you are planning to arrive any time before normal check-in time (3:00) it's a huge benefit. If you wait to check-in upon arrival, the chances of your room being ready before 3:00 are slim (depending on the time of year). Checking in online allows them to organize guests arrival times and make every effort for your room to be ready when you said you'd arrive.
    I agree, we've used it 3 times now and requesting is by their offerings in a box....

We figured it might get us into our room earlier than 3 pm....since we arrive around 1:30 pm.....out of the 3 times we used it, got in once...time saver....in the eyes of the beholder....seems like the same speal as regular....packet is ready with our name but they still do the credit card imprint, ask the same questions, issue key cards etc.....only way I see it saving time if the regular line is huge....but if everyone used the on-line check in, there are only one or two CM's at that counter.....regular counter has multiple CM's.....and if the ME bus got in ahead of you....and half went to on-line and half to regular....it's still a wait......I call it a wash but will still use it to maybe have my room ready early....as for requests...we rarely have any...we paid for what we wanted......

miffy is offline A-Ticket holder

Hi BamaJenn!

Thanks so much for your answer. I think we're probably going to check-in in person this time, since I like to see where the room is and get it changed (if possible) if it's way off from what I'd like. Also, we're arriving by Amtrak, so who knows what time we'll be checking in?

Thanks again --miffy--

grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Hi BamaJenn!

Thanks so much for your answer. I think we're probably going to check-in in person this time, since I like to see where the room is and get it changed (if possible) if it's way off from what I'd like. Also, we're arriving by Amtrak, so who knows what time we'll be checking in?

Thanks again --miffy--
    Seem to be running into you alot...glad you like this site......

We always plan on getting in on time too.....but we do the on-line just to be safe and pretend we might get our room early....rather than after 3pm......I hate waiting and being called....seems more likely depending on the time of year....

Even at on-line...they show you a map of the resort wit your room location...still, you can't be sure until you enter the room as to how it suits you......we've had great luck (over 10 stays) at WL at all levels....never disappointed.....good luck with your trip!!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I still don't see the point of online check-in. I always fly in early morning, and by the time I get my car, stop for lunch, hit Walmart for groceries for the week, and drive to the resort, I honestly cannot remember ever waiting more than a few minutes to check in. Sometimes it's earlier than 3pm and I can't get to my room anyway. Even if I checked in online, I don't believe they'll have your room and key ready early, unless it's an especially slow time of the year. Either way, you're not exempted from some point of human contact.

I was speaking with a woman behind me one time about the two lines, and she pointed out that at least they had split the line in two, which moved things along more quickly. That was only until I pointed out that the three areas they had open for on-line were just being taken away from on-site check in anyway. And if one area is quiet, they just call the next person anyway.

Overall, I have only had one long(ish) wait, and that was back when I was silly enough to use Magical Express instead of getting my own car. The entire bus emptied out at Saratoga Springs, and all ran up to check in. Rather than stand around (it was early in the morning anyway), we left our luggage at the bell hop and walked around for a while. Then when it emptied out, we went back to check in. Honestly, it's my first day there. What exactly is a short line keeping me from at that point?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy of ohio View Post
    in the eyes of the beholder....seems like the same speal as regular....packet is ready with our name but they still do the credit card imprint, ask the same questions, issue key cards etc.....only way I see it saving time if the regular line is huge....
    Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I still don't see the point of online check-in. I always fly in early morning, and by the time I get my car, stop for lunch, hit Walmart for groceries for the week, and drive to the resort, I honestly cannot remember ever waiting more than a few minutes to check in. Sometimes it's earlier than 3pm and I can't get to my room anyway. Even if I checked in online, I don't believe they'll have your room and key ready early, unless it's an especially slow time of the year.
    I must be lucking out. We've used online check-in around 5 times now and each time it was a huge time saver. Not only because our room has been ready each and every time (well in advance of 3pm) but because we didn't have to go through any of that... Each time, I've walked up to the counter, handed the CM my ID and they handed over the entire packet, with the keycards already setup, our credit card already taken care of etc. Just literally "here's your packet, here's where your room is, have a magical day". And, of those times, some have been during peak season, some have not. I just must have a lucky rabbits foot in my pocket I don't know about.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder

Online check in is probably best if your traveling to Disney at a very busy time. It will definitely save you for long check in lines but if you're traveling at a slower time then probably won't benefit you much.

I usually use it just because it adds a little extra convienance but it was so slow on one trip that we actually had to wait on a cast member to show up to check us in at the online check in desk.

smith913 is offline Fastpass Holder

We used it for the first time last week. We usually get to Pop Century around 3:00, so quite a line has formed. We walked right in, picked up the folder, and went to our room. I was very glad I used it and will do so next time!
    Samantha

October 2005 - All Star Movies, October 2006 - Pop Century, October 2008 - Pop Century, October 2009 - Pop Century, October 2011 - Pop Century

disneyfire is offline A-Ticket holder

we used the online check in once and frankly..it wasnt any faster once we got there.
    Actually, from now on i will just check in upon arrival.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12