Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Online v. Onsite Check-in in the Vacation Planning forums; About to take my vist trip to WDW since online check-in has been in place. What do you think of online check-in? Do you use it, do you like it, ...
    Love That Duck is offline D-Ticket Holder

Online v. Onsite Check-in

About to take my vist trip to WDW since online check-in has been in place.

What do you think of online check-in? Do you use it, do you like it, what are the benefits, drawbacks, etc.

Thanks in advance. 21 days to go

Nancy
    ~Jerry & Nancy~

Sept. 3 - Sunrise WEDDING Vow Renewal then Drive to WDW
    Sept. 4-16, 2011 - WDW HONEYMOON:
    Sept 4-9 - Pop Century
    Sept. 10-16 - Caribbean Beach

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Online v. Onsite Check-in

I haven't used online check in but that's only because I have never seen the benefit. Even if the check-in line is huge, go hit the restroom and walk around a bit and it'll go away. I just can't think of an advantages other than a shorter line, and as more people use it, the line is going to be getting longer anyway.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Love That Duck is offline D-Ticket Holder

Thanks Supernova.

I don't plan to use online check for the reasons you posted and more. But, I thought I should find out others' opinions just in case.

I love the check-in process, even when the wait is long. It's part of the Disney experience for me. I agree ... guests need to standin a line to check-in regardless. And, the online checkin line could definitely be longer than the other.

Nancy
    ~Jerry & Nancy~

Sept. 3 - Sunrise WEDDING Vow Renewal then Drive to WDW
    Sept. 4-16, 2011 - WDW HONEYMOON:
    Sept 4-9 - Pop Century
    Sept. 10-16 - Caribbean Beach

wdfan is offline Thinking Orange Thoughts

I signed up for the online check for my upcoming visit. I check in on Monday, so if I remember, I'll come back on after and let you know how it went! (hopefully i remember lol)
    WDW Marathon '12
    WDW Goofy '13

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

We've used online check-in twice now and it has been great both times. The first time, we arrived at POR around 11 am or so and the regular line was huge! There was one family ahead of us in the online check-in line. It is so quick, you make your choices online for credit card on file and the like and they have a folder all ready with everything in it. Our room was ready and after a quick change into shorts we were in the magic kingdom by 12:30. The second time it was also very quick and we only had a couple of days in the parks before we got on the Dream with Lou so we were very anxious to get to MK. I guess it worked we took off out of Philadelphia at 7 am and were in the MK just before 11:30 and lunch at Columbia Harbour House.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

Quote Originally Posted by Love That Duck View Post
    Thanks Supernova.

I don't plan to use online check for the reasons you posted and more. But, I thought I should find out others' opinions just in case.

I love the check-in process, even when the wait is long. It's part of the Disney experience for me. I agree ... guests need to standin a line to check-in regardless. And, the online checkin line could definitely be longer than the other.

Nancy
    Thanks for being sane, Nancy. Just because Disney offers a service doesn't mean that it's the better/best way to go. All these years of checking in at the front desk and I have never once had a problem.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Of all the years we've gone to Disney, we've never had to wait that long to check in. Maybe we've been lucky. This past May we once again decided not to use online check in. We actually like to talk to the CM behind the desk.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

I had my travel agent do our online checkin for us for this trip this week!

I will be sure to come back and post my experience with it!!
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i have done both.. last year there was no line at check in at all.. and i will do online checkin this year too.. because it gave me the option of asking for anything certain in the location of my room.. i asked for lower level and close to the main building and i got it.. it was fast ez to do and when you just there from you flight and your hungry and just wanna eat and hit the parks its nice just stopin for a sec and head out
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

The ONLY time I've ever had a crazy-long line was at Saratoga Springs, and it was because I happened to pull in just as a Magical Express bus was emptying out. Other than that, it's not like people are showing up in droves 24/7 to check in. Just a matter of the speed and efficiency of the desk staff to process their customer.

miffy is offline A-Ticket holder

I see this thread is a bit old, but I'm new to this forum, so it's new to me!

I'd thought that one couldn't make any requests (like room location, etc.) using online check-in, but a PP seems to indicate that you can do just that. Is that correct? I was thinking of not doing online check-in because I usually make a room location request, and I enjoy talking with the check-in CM. Only once (at AS Music) did I ever wait in line more than maybe 15 minutes to check in.

And, if one does do online check-in and you get there and you'd prefer a different room location, is there any way to discuss this at the check-in desk?

Thanks for any and all info!

--miffy--

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

so i did the online checkin for my trip this august and it was great!!

we were able to put in our requests for a ground floor room and near the main building (we were at all star movies and stayed in the toy store section)

everything was ready when we arrived, we waited in a super short line, 2 people in front of us, were greeted by a cast member who got our check in folder for us, made sure everything was ok, gave us our kttw cards and wished us a great trip. took maybe 5 minutes total. compared to the maybe 20 minute wait in the regular line.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

I've done online check in twice, the rest of my stays we've always done regular check in. I do think online check in may save some time, but the time that it saves is probably minimal, I would guess under 3-5 minutes.

As far as pros and cons, I've heard that if you do online check-in you are less likely to receive a free upgrade to a better view at your resort. That being said, none of our locations have been bad while using online check in. But for me personally, I probably wouldn't use the online check-in feature at a deluxe resort, just in case. An upgrade that you would get at a moderate or value would probably not be quite as substantial, hence we've only used the online check-in feature at value and moderate resorts.

jennies is offline A-Ticket holder

I've used online check-in twice and there was no waiting at all either time. Just collected my packet of stuff and I was all done. I believe I used it both times at Animal Kingdom Lodge. While there frequently really isn't that much of a line to wait for while checking in normally, I really like to just be able to grab my key and head straight for my room. It's grat for impatient folks
    Read my latest DVC resort reviews

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I'd thought that one couldn't make any requests (like room location, etc.) using online check-in, but a PP seems to indicate that you can do just that.
    Hi Miffy! In looking at the posts since yours, I didn't see an answer to your question so I figured I'd jump in. The only things you can request via online check-in are things like a fridge, a trundle, a pack-n-play etc. and a room on the first floor. You cannot request a building location etc. though. Not sure how Jamie managed that one?

My two cents: Online check-in is something I will always use going forward. Not only does it almost always result in less of a wait in the lobby BUT if you are planning to arrive any time before normal check-in time (3:00) it's a huge benefit. If you wait to check-in upon arrival, the chances of your room being ready before 3:00 are slim (depending on the time of year). Checking in online allows them to organize guests arrival times and make every effort for your room to be ready when you said you'd arrive.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast