Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Studio at AKL or OKW? in the Vacation Planning forums; Has anyone stayed in a studio in either of these? Which did you like the best? How does the bus transportation to the parks compare? How about dining? Can you ...
    Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder

Studio at AKL or OKW?

Has anyone stayed in a studio in either of these? Which did you like the best? How does the bus transportation to the parks compare? How about dining? Can you get refillable mugs at these? What about quick dining options? etc...

We're trying to decide which of these to stay in for a week and any expert advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Studio at AKL or OKW?

Boy these places are way different. OKW is very restful, the rooms and studio's are much lighter and brighter, also much larger plus they just renovated these. It is spread out, so depending on where you are it is a hike to quick service. I like that. Bus service very good to the parks.

AKL is pretty. Animals are so cool. It is not as peaceful anymore. Far more people in there now that are not staying in the resort. It is almost a destination. The studio is dark and kinda squished in there. Depends on where you are staying??? They have messed up the once nice concierge set up for hotel guests when they added the DVC studios in the main building. Now the buses are either good or horrible. If they fill up in the back, they just by-pass the hotel bus stop. This is a problem for both the guests and people just coming to dine by WDW buses. Counter service is excellent at AKL. My favorite CS of all the resorts. Standard fare plus a lot more! Pool is fabulous.

Refill cups at both.

Go to allears.net and go to their review page. There are pictures up, even updated ones for OKW.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder

Good info! Thank you so much!

jeanigor is offline D-Ticket Holder

These are my favorite two DVC resorts.

One thing to remember is that OKW Studios have two beds. All other studios have one bed and a pull out sofa sleeper.

OKW has separate buildings and outdoor entry into your room. It can be a little bit of a walk from your door to the nearest bus stop.

AKL is a single building (well two actually but you know what I mean) and the entrance to your room is in a climate controlled, decorated hallway. It can be quite a hike from the lobby to your room, depending upon where you end up.

Laundry facilities at OKW are near the pool areas. AKL are down the hall.

OKW you can hop a boat to DTD. AKL you can see animals (from your balcony depending on what level you choose, or from the public viewing areas).

I find both resorts relaxing and enjoyable. I also find the food selections at both to be quite pleasing. However, AKL Kidani does not have a counter service dining option. There is Sanaa which is table service and a small convenience shop, which is where you can refill your mug if you have one.

I prefer to drive when I am at WDW, but have used the buses at both resorts and would say it usually is far better than that of say Saratoga Springs, Port Orleans, Caribbean Beach, the All-Stars and Coronado Springs.

Overall, I would say it depends upon who I am traveling with and what I am looking for in the stay. I have to figure this out for myself for my June trip.

Hope that helped a little.
    I'm fairly certain that given a tiara and a nice cape, I could save the world--one sequin at a time.

2011 Donald ˝ Marathon 2:59:00. 2011 Princess ˝ Marathon
    3:12:40.
    2011 Disneyland ˝ Marathon 3:13:52. 2011 Wine & Dine ˝ Marathon --3:06:56.
    2012 Donald ˝ Marathon --. 2012 Tinkerbell ˝ Marathon --.

Grand Camping Adventure Information